Manuka Honey

Guest Mommydog

Guest Mommydog

I've heard of people using Manuka honey topically before with good results, but had never tried it myself until yesterday. Joey has some little polyps round his bottom, and of course had decided to start picking and nibbling at one of them :rolleyes: As result it had become very red and weepy. Due to his recent stomach issues I had to be careful what I put on it, as he'd no doubt lick it off. So as he'd been having Manuka in his rice pudding (it's good for digestive problems too) I decided to try some of that. I was quite amazed at how much it's improved after just one application, and he also appears to have stopped bothering with it. I think you need to use a high factor Manuka, I used UMF 12. I'm really impressed with it. So now he's not so much honeybun as honeybum :lol

Guest Mommydog

I get mine from the health food shop, but some supermarkets stock it too, although they don't tend to stock the very high factor Manuka i.e 12 or 15, well not here anyway. It has antibiotic properties.

Manuka Honey has medicinal properties as it's made from the tea tree bush. I first heard of it a few years back from an article in the CG Magazine. I beleive the it was titled "Pipers Skinning" where a Greyhound tore open it's side by running into a clothes line outside. They found the only thing to help it heal was manuka honey, and the results were just amazing. That article has stuck with me ever since.

http://www.manukahoneyusa.com/ManukaHoney.htm

Guest budsmom

Whole Dog Journal has also done an article on Manuka honey in the last couple years. From what I read, it's awesome stuff. Glad to hear from someone who has actually used it.

Guest greygirls2

Yup...this stuff is great!!! It's what I used to get Diamond's wounds healed up and even my vet can't believe how well it worked. I spent hundreds of dollars on gels, ointments, antibiotic creams etc. over the 3 month period and nothing worked, the wounds stayed open with no granulation till I tried this....I wish I had found it sooner. I used it in a wound cream so it contained the Manuka Honey, Aloe and Vit. B. The difference in Diamond's wounds after two applications was amazing. Even my vet is recomending it now.

Wow, that is great information to have. Headed to the health store tomorrow to have it on hand. My neighbor's cat bit my leg when I went over to feed her three weeks ago and it is still red and sore. Bet this will help it heal! Thank you.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest Greytluv
I used it in a wound cream so it contained the Manuka Honey, Aloe and Vit. B.

Where do you buy this? It sounds good. I have a jar of Manua Honey. Do I just rub it on?