Diets And Supplements For A Senior With Lymphoma

Guest TinasTroops

Guest Energy11

No experience with Lymphoma, but, had Max with Osteo. I gave him Science Diet A/D (for convalescing dogs) mixed with CANNED Chicken Soup for the Dog's Soul. Seemed to work well and he ate it. Sorry you are going through this! Good Luck.

Guest TinasTroops

Diane what are your thoughts on Wellness Core? Or Blue Buffalo.

EVO reduced fat kibble or canned EVO

Anyone do RAW while dealing with Lymphoma or other cancers?

Edited by TinasTroops

When Abby had advanced mast cell cancer, our homeopathic vet recommended Bravo raw food. She did very well on it, and liked it. It's mushy stuff in a tube. She was 13 and never had a raw thing in her life before that.

We also tried this stuff http://www.helpyourdog.net/Birkdale-PetMix-p/651.htm which she also liked. i think it's specially formulated to help dogs fight cancer.

All the really good canned foods are good suggestions also, i think. we were advised to stay away from grains, absolutely.

all the best to you,

tracy

2rqyqhd.jpg

With Butkus' tumor, we're doing grain free kibble (Orijen brand, the fish-only kibble) in the morning and raw at night. He's getting a lot of raw chicken wings, which I was told are a good for cancer patients. Maybe you could blend them? I know the raw bones are important...We also give him kale, soybeans (although I've been thinking of switching to Tofu, which would work for your toothless pup and still give the same benefits), blueberries, broccoli sprouts, and tomatoes. Each of the ingredients has cancer-fighting agents.

As far as supplements, we're doing goldenseal, Maiake mushroom, IP-6, Essaic tea, and fruit enzyme powder.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions...I'm still a newbie at this, but I've done a lot of research and also gotten a lot of great advice.

Guest greytbookert

A friend of mine switched to raw after osteo and had good luck with it. Not only did it help stimulate the appetite, some of the blood values improved...I have no scientific proof but it did seem to help.

Sending prayers!

Guest KRKWMU

RAW would probably be decided if the senior was or wasn't doing chemo. The chemo drugs lower their immune system, so it would be easier to catch something from the raw meat or get sick in general. All of the research I did when Bonnie had lymphoma suggested a high protein, low carb diet. Supposedly, Lymphoma is the only kind of cancer that the low carb/high protein diet has been proven to help. We used a combination of EVO kibble and Evanger's or EVO canned food.

We also did 3 or 4 different kinds of Chinese Herbs along with the chemo. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more details on the herbs. I do think they really helped support Bonnie overall and they weren't terribly expensive.

Good luck. :goodluck

Kibbles are a good source of concentrated calories, if pup will eat them. Probably doesn't matter which Evo etc. -- whichever one doesn't give pup gastric distress. When B was ill, I fed him mostly homecooked meat because he didn't want kibble. For him, @ 50-50 chicken and cheap ground beef with some egg thrown in provided @ the right ratio of fat for his system. He also ate some other things -- cinnamon bread, spaghettios, ice cream, Tripett (meat, but not homecooked) .... We also used the Evanger's canned meats; EVO canned on occasion but not in any quantity (caused diarrhea whereas Evanger's did not) .... I think it is important for a sick dog to enjoy eating and WANT to eat so whatever achieves that end is good.

Prayers and best luck for pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TinasTroops

Thank You.

Kibbles are a good source of concentrated calories, if pup will eat them. Probably doesn't matter which Evo etc. -- whichever one doesn't give pup gastric distress. When B was ill, I fed him mostly homecooked meat because he didn't want kibble. For him, @ 50-50 chicken and cheap ground beef with some egg thrown in provided @ the right ratio of fat for his system. He also ate some other things -- cinnamon bread, spaghettios, ice cream, Tripett (meat, but not homecooked) .... We also used the Evanger's canned meats; EVO canned on occasion but not in any quantity (caused diarrhea whereas Evanger's did not) .... I think it is important for a sick dog to enjoy eating and WANT to eat so whatever achieves that end is good.

Prayers and best luck for pupper.

Guest TinasTroops

Oh very good to know!

I am readuing up on the Evo and I really like what I see, I also compared it to the Wilderness Blue Buffalo and I like that one too.

I personally won't be doing raw for her if she is on Chemo, everything will be cooked.

Guest TinasTroops

This is a cancer diet that has been suggested I use, any feedback or comments are welcome.

Breakfast - 6 AM

½ can of Canidae - use the Chicken, Lamb and Fish - it is closest to the cancer diet.

1 cup of veggie mix - I will give you the recipe for this at the end of the diet.

1 tablespoon of probiotic – Bio K - this is to equalize the acids in the intestinal tract

1 salmon oil capsule

½ teaspoon of Solid Gold Seameal or any good digestive enzyme - helps to ensure the most out of the

food they are eating - I now have all my dogs on it.

1 tbsp of low fat yogurt

Lunch - 11 AM

½ can of Canidae

1 cup of veggie mix

½ teaspoon of Solid Gold Seameal

1 Protect + - this is an antioxidant supplement with antioxidant vitamins

1 tsp of flax seed oil

Supper

½ can of Canidae

1 cup of veggie mix

1 salmon oil capsule

1 tbsp of low fat cottage cheese

9:00 PM meal

½ can of Canidae

1 cup of veggie mix

1 teaspoon of flax seed oil

1 tsp. of Greens powder.

My recipe for the home cooked portion of the cancer diet. This is what works for Sophie.

You need a large canning kettle. Put it on the stove top on med/high.

Add 8 cups of water and 2 cups of natural brown rice.

When the rice is mostly cooked I add in 8 lbs. of ground chicken ( could use turkey but Sophie finds it gassy)

sometimes I add some beef liver

When this is cooked I add in:

1 head of broccoli - chopped

1 head of cauliflower - chopped

1 head of cabbage - chopped

about 30 brussel sprouts

10 cloves of garlic - chopped

a bunch of radishes - chopped

then I add a dozen eggs

1 can of ground tomatoes - there is one brand ( can't remember the name ) that has no added salt - it is just tomatoes

Once this is finished and the mixture is cooling I add 8 tins of sardines and 8 tins of tuna - be sure to drain these well and rinse well using a colander - they are full of salt and rinsing helps to get rid of some it.

Then I pack 4 cup containers and freeze them. This usually give me enough for Sophie for about 18 to 20 days. Sophie is an 80 lb. Weimaraner. You would need to adjust this according to your dogs weight.

You can get the 4 cup containers at the deli in a grocery store.

If I am short on time I will use frozen veggies where I can but I really think the fresh are better.

I would ditch the veggie mix and add another can or two of Canidae (depending on the variety -- I'd think you'd want at least 1200 calories going in).

Reasons for ditching the rice/veggie mix: That's a LOT of cruciform vegetables; not good for dogs in that kind of quantity; 1/4 cup per meal might be OK to jazz things up but no more than that. Also, veggie mix has very few calories and little nutrition but takes up a lot of space in a dog's tummy. Sick dog needs all the calories and nutrients she can get.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm doing totally raw for Flippy. I'd be more than happy to share her diet with you. Her blood levels have stayed perfect for the past 5 months while on the diet and receiving bi-monthly chemo. The vets are very impressed with her health and have asked me to share the diet with them.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Guest TinasTroops

Please do Denise!!!! Ahhhh Flippy dooo

As the rest of my pack is on raw and she use to be as well.

I'm doing totally raw for Flippy. I'd be more than happy to share her diet with you. Her blood levels have stayed perfect for the past 5 months while on the diet and receiving bi-monthly chemo. The vets are very impressed with her health and have asked me to share the diet with them.