Adequan - Anyone Tried It?

Guest CaroleWithRunningDogs

Guest CaroleWithRunningDogs

Golly not been here for a while. I'm trying my dog out on a new arthritis medication, Adequan, just wondering if anyone else here has tried it. Thanks for any feedback on this one. Carole

Adequan is like giving an intensive boost of joint supplements. It's expensive unless you can get the vials and give the shots yourself. You may not see a change until 4 -6 shots are given. There are no side effects.

My regime: - which is written up in When I Am Older booklet

1. Joint supplements daily - 1500 mgs a day of each product, except C, which is given to bowel toleranceGlucuosamine, MSM, Chondroitin, Vitamin C

2. Acupuncture

3. Raw Feeding - or kibble without grain

4. Moderate daily exercise

5. Lean weight vs overweight

This regime has helped my hounds stay healthy for a long time. When things start to not work as well as they were, then I try Adequan, and Chinese herbs and homeopathy.

More info is at Greyhound Gang.

Click on LEARN. Click on MEDICAL.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

My vet thinks it's equally as effective as cosequine and about the same price. She uses it because its easier for her to bring her dog in that needs it and do the shot than to get her to take a pill. I use cosequine because that works better for us. I can't say enough good things about cosequine, so based on her recommendation, if adequan would work better for you, then I'd give it a try.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Greensleeves

We used it for years with Nelly, and it was a miracle drug for the arthritis in her shattered hip. It really wasn't expensive, and she LOVED going to the vet, so it was almost like a treat.

My single caveat is that I would do bloodwork before starting to make certain your dog has normal kidneys/liver, as Adequan is contraindicated in dogs with kidney and liver damage. Nelly had congenital kidney problems (birth defect) that we didn't know about until it was too late. I don't *know* that the Adequan made her worse, but...