Bug Bites On Laika

Guest lanielovesgreys

Guest lanielovesgreys

I was rubbing her belly this morning and found these all over her. :( Mostly on her belly, but they're on her front legs, too. This poor girl. They look so painful. I bathed her and put cortisone cream on her. She's due for vaccinations so she's going into the vet on monday anyway. Is there anything else I can do for her? How much liquid benedryl can I give her?

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

Guest Energy11

I don't use the liquid Benedryl, but us the 25 mg pills. I give (2) which equals 50 mg, for allergic reactions, per my vets, which can be repeated every six hours.

50 mg by mouth, is what I was told, and verified recently with my vet, for allergic reactions, bug bites, etc.

Not sure what type of bites they are. Could be ant bites. Just watch her MOUTH and FACE to be sure they are not swelling up. Oakly was bitten by Fire Ants in Florida once, and his face looked like a Great Dane! VERY bad reaction to them.

Good Luck! Poor baby! D

It could also be a heat rash - hard to tell from the picture though. It resembles a rash one of my pups had in areas where the skin touches skin but, he didn't have it on his legs.

If the area is very moist, you might want to put a touch of baby powder there to keep it drier and see how it fares in a few hours.

Guest grey_dreams

It could be harvest mites, also called chiggers. If they are, then the bites will itch and fester for a few days and then clear up.

Guest LindsaySF

Those look like blackfly bites. My dogs get those too. The rash clears up in a few days, and never seems to bother them. The pit bulls get them the worst (more naked and sensitive belly areas). I didn't even bother with Benadryl and they were fine. Unless she is scratching at them or anything she should be fine. :)

My guy had those same spots on him last year. Bug bites of some sort (I don't exactly know which bug though). They cleared up in about 3-4 days.

Lainey, I think the "bites" look to big to be ant bites. The postules look large and to me almost resemble poison ivy? Be careful touching them yourself as you can get it if the postules rupture.

I just looked up several blister pictures and I think that is what it is.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I suspect something bigger than a fire ant. Fire ant bites are teeny and come in pairs. Don't think it's poison ivy because it's isolated bumps (BTW, are dogs sensitive to poison ivy? Can they get a rash from it?)

FYI--poison ivy isn't spread from the ooze from the rash, but from the sap (or whatever the irritant is called) from the plant that remains on the fur, clothes, skin, etc. Washing the offending object, person or pet will remove the risk of further rashes.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04