Irregular Heartbeat

Ben, our eight year old, has been very laid back lately. He used to be one of the first ones up in the morning to go out when Scott gets up. This week he's been staying asleep and waiting until I get up to go out.

This evening he was laying on the couch in a roach position and I was rubbing his chest. When I stopped, I put my hand on his left side and left it there while watching tv. I soon noticed three thumps and a pause for two, repeated, then two thumps and a pause for one. No steady heartbeat. I called Scott and he confirmed.

We went into the office to our computers (me to post this thread) and Ben followed. He had gone from a roach position and walked about 20 feet from the couch to the room and his heart was racing with very fast thumps.

Any ideas of what it could be?

(edited to add question mark)

Edited by Zoolady

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

Guest Energy11

MANY MANY things can cause heart arrhythmias (irregular heartbeats), many, many different things. It could be anything from an electrolyte imbalance, to a heart defect, to a thyroid problem, to a leaky valve, etc. etc., .... There is NO way to really tell without bloodwork, exam, ECG of the heart, and probably a blood pressure check.

How is his "color," ... meaning, are his gums pale? Is his tongue blue? Is he breathing hard or panting? These are all signs he isn't getting enough oxygen, and/or has a circulation problem.

A good friend of mine lost his six yr old to heart failure. If this keeps up, I would definitely get your grey into the vets.

Good Luck, and I hope it turns out to be nothing. D

Recently EmilyAnne asked a similar question. You can read it in this thread here

Scroll down to my post with the links. One of them has the actual audio.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11
MANY MANY things can cause heart arrhythmias (irregular heartbeats), many, many different things. It could be anything from an electrolyte imbalance, to a heart defect, to a thyroid problem, to a leaky valve, etc. etc., .... There is NO way to really tell without bloodwork, exam, ECG of the heart, and probably a blood pressure check.

How is his "color," ... meaning, are his gums pale? Is his tongue blue? Is he breathing hard or panting? These are all signs he isn't getting enough oxygen, and/or has a circulation problem.

A good friend of mine lost his six yr old to heart failure. If this keeps up, I would definitely get your grey into the vets.

Is Ben coughing at all?

His gums are very pink and his breathing seems to be normal. I think a trip to the vets is in order too.

Thank you, that was very helpful.

Recently EmilyAnne asked a similar question. You can read it in this thread here

Scroll down to my post with the links. One of them has the actual audio.

No coughing.

Is Ben coughing at all?

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

Guest Energy11

GLAD to hear about the pink gums, and normal breathing! :-)) A vet trip would give you peace of mind, and you'd be sure Ben is A-Ok! :-))) Have a safe and restful evening! D

Another trip to the vet recommended. I've had two with irregular heart beats. with one, there was no cause ever found. I very gradually weaned her off the meds her first family had her on (they were going to euthanize her because of her "heart disease," she felt so much etter without the meds and eventually died from unrelated causes. The other has an irregular heart beat because of dilated cardiomyopathy and is doing well on multiple meds. You need the blood work, EKG, and maybe an ultrasound to know what's going on and whether to worry about it.

Beth had something like this one morning lying in bed with me, I took her to the vet and he did an ECG; it showed a minor irregularity but when she was retested in a month (I think it was) the ECG was perfectly normal. She shows no signs of any cardiac problems otherwise, so I've more or less just chalked it up as one of those passing things, if it doesn't repeat itself. Hope you have a similarly non-threatening outcome.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

We will definitely make an appointment with the vet Monday. Thanks for all your input and information.

Barbara