Spencer Was Back At The Vet

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Guest Spencers_Greyt

So I have mentioned that Spencer is getting weaker in his back end and especially his back left leg. It seems like it's asleep or something because he can't "feel" it so when he stands he's always kicking it out trying to place it on the floor. This doesn't go on a long time but it's been getting worse and then Thursday night when he was laying down his left leg was twitching uncontrollably. Well that's it, off to the vet he went on Friday. I had to drop him off. The vet called me later and said that he really didn't see the problem (which always happens because Spencer is so scared at the vet's office that his adrenaline is racing through his body). I described what is happening and I had actually shown the vet tech what happens right when I brought Spencer to the vet's office and he said he would try and describe for the vet too. Anyway, the vet said his problem is degenerative (which I know) and that perhaps a shot of steroids would help. Then the vet mentions he noticed Spencer limping on his back left leg :eek I never saw that! So I told him immediately to xray his left hip down his entire leg to see if it's osteo and he said he could also check for Valley Fever as it's pretty bad if it gets into the bone. So more waiting and the vet finally calls me back and says the xrays are completely clear with nothing showing :yay So now we're back to square one. He said he could give Spencer the shot which he preferred over giving him oral prednisone or try him on a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory - Rimadyl. So I opted for Rimadyl right now and we'll see how he does. Spencer isn't in any pain which is such a relief. And we'll take it day by day. I'm just wishing for some stability in Spencer's health so I can take a bit of a breather.

Might be worth trying the shot.

Hugs and best luck to you and your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hoping the Rimadyl works. Come on Spencer, you need to get better and stop worrying your mom!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I am so sorry Spencer is poorly again! When Sugar's back end problems were bad (hers was degenerative spinal stuff) an Adequan shot really helped. Also, I know you have said acupuncture helps Spencer. There are a couple of mobile vets who acupuncture, so you don't have to take him into the dreaded vets :). Let me know if you want their contact info!

Last month one of our older greyhounds back legs finally gave out. She worn an assistant harness all the time so I could get her out to potty. We took her to the vet, said it was a disc problem. Give her a shot of Cortisone and put her on Prednisone for 30 days. It was a miracle, she's been fine for a month. She is starting to sink again in the back but we would like to wait as long as possible before getting another Cortisone shot. She is 12 years old.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest Spencers_Greyt
Last month one of our older greyhounds back legs finally gave out. She worn an assistant harness all the time so I could get her out to potty. We took her to the vet, said it was a disc problem. Give her a shot of Cortisone and put her on Prednisone for 30 days. It was a miracle, she's been fine for a month. She is starting to sink again in the back but we would like to wait as long as possible before getting another Cortisone shot. She is 12 years old.

I haven't had to use an assistant harness on Spencer yet but I foresee it in the near future. Thanks for the info on the cortisone shot - I'll go that route next. I'm putting off the pred because Spencer goes incontinent on it and is just miserable. Plus it makes him very hot and it's already very hot here in the Arizona desert. So it's a last resort for me.

Edited to add that Spencer is 8 y/o.

I am so sorry Spencer is poorly again! When Sugar's back end problems were bad (hers was degenerative spinal stuff) an Adequan shot really helped. Also, I know you have said acupuncture helps Spencer. There are a couple of mobile vets who acupuncture, so you don't have to take him into the dreaded vets :). Let me know if you want their contact info!

Wow seriously? I thought I researched mobile acupuncture vets and couldn't find any! Yes indeed I would like their contact information! Not having to take Spencer in the car would be such a relief. He hates cars and vet offices!

Edited by Spencers_Greyt

Spencer really could use a break! As I'm sure you can as well.

The Pred caused Misty to run hot too, takes care of one thing....causes another!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I haven't had to use an assistant harness on Spencer yet but I foresee it in the near future. Thanks for the info on the cortisone shot - I'll go that route next. I'm putting off the pred because Spencer goes incontinent on it and is just miserable. Plus it makes him very hot and it's already very hot here in the Arizona desert. So it's a last resort for me.

Edited to add that Spencer is 8 y/o.

Wow seriously? I thought I researched mobile acupuncture vets and couldn't find any! Yes indeed I would like their contact information! Not having to take Spencer in the car would be such a relief. He hates cars and vet offices!

I only gave her the Prednisone for a few days. I still have most of it left. I use Carol Beckers assistance harness (Gods' Greys). We had a Spencer. He made it to just a few days short of his 16 birthday.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

OK Donna, this is what I have. I've not used either vet myself, but both come highly recommended from my raw food group, and they are a picky bunch :)

Dr Karen Ivin (Lyons) Desert Mobile Vet, 480-497-6362. out of Gilbert, I have heard they are expensive, but worth it.

Dr Betsy King, Power Rd Animal Hospital (Mesa). 480-641-4141; 602-291-4044 (cell). Not sure if she still does mobile, worth a call.

Hope one of these works out!

:kiss2 Spencer

Guest Spencers_Greyt
OK Donna, this is what I have. I've not used either vet myself, but both come highly recommended from my raw food group, and they are a picky bunch :)

Dr Karen Ivin (Lyons) Desert Mobile Vet, 480-497-6362. out of Gilbert, I have heard they are expensive, but worth it.

Dr Betsy King, Power Rd Animal Hospital (Mesa). 480-641-4141; 602-291-4044 (cell). Not sure if she still does mobile, worth a call.

Hope one of these works out!

:kiss2 Spencer

Thanks a bunch Jan! I'll let you know what I find out. Not sure when I'll call as I want to see how the Rimadyl works first.

Guest Spencers_Greyt
Adequin shots worked wonders for ReRun - he had .................. (my brain isn't awake yet)........ myopothy? the seathing on the nerves.... and arthritis....... he was doing better on the stairs at age 11 than I was! (we only tried it for a few months before he left us after his 12th birthday from a heart tumor - totally unexpected). Now Cofax is having her back legs giving out...... checking out different possibilites with her....... then we'll discuss treatment options......

These pups definitely keep us on our toes. Vet says she's amazed at how quickly I catch things........ she said most people would miss the signs - the small little early signs that mean a lot - I seem to get (hubby still never believes me when I do..... until the vet agrees with me! MEN!) I just say - It's a mom thing.

Cofax says - give hugs to spencer and add more ice cream.

Thanks! Keep us posted on Cofax - I would be interested in hearing how she will be treated and for what. That back legs weakness thing is so non-specific really. It can be so many thing!

Spencer says that Cofax needs some whippy cream and hugs too!

Guest LeanneSchatz

Best of luck for poor Spencer! I made an appointment with Scottsdale Ranch for my Sizzle, can you tell me if Dr. Thompson is good or if I should ask for the other vet that you go to, can't remember his name right now? Thanks so much! :)