It's So Hard

I didn't even know where to put this--I'm just so sad, and I need to let it out, and I know you guys understand.

Rhemus is my heart and soul, and watching him age is just killing me. He's had various problems lately--hookworms, his back, his back legs, his throat, some confusion, tremors, etc., and I'm doing absolutely everything I can for him along with my vet, but I just feel so helpless. I want him to be young and healthy and happy, and to talk to me like he used to. I don't want him to have pain for even a minute, or to feel scared when his legs give out, or to have a hard time getting up. I'm even having a hard time making myself get his nails cut, because I know he hates it. I keep praying constantly for God not to take him from me.

He does still have good moments, and he still wants his cookies--he always eats his cookies with his butt up in the air in sort of the play-bow position--it's the cutest thing.

I'm going on my first real vacation in over 10 years in a couple weeks--camping/hiking in Silverton, Colorado--and I'm so scared to go. I don't want to leave Rhem. I would never, never forgive myself if something happened while I'm gone, for not being there for him. It's literally making me sick.

Thanks for "listening;" I know there's nothing anyone can do, and that aging is a part of living. I just need a little help coping, I guess.

:(

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

Guest Energy11

We don't even know what Curfew has... it is a "presumed" brain tumor," and he is doing pretty well ... wayy better than a few months ago, BUT, I don't leave him. My DH does all the errands, etc., and I stay with Curfew. MY choice for sure, but that is the way it is for me.

You have to decide what is right for YOU. We are not all alike, (thank God :-), and you know in your heart, what is right for you and your houndie.

DH is picking up the granddaughter in two weeks, and she will stay for month, ... I am supossed to bring her back to Florida, and stay a week. ... I shall see. Maybe DH will do what as well.

Hugs, love and prayers to you! YOU do what you think is best!

It is very hard to watch them start to fail.... :( But having gone down that road, I found that your bond becomes stronger & you enjoy the "moments" more.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest sheila

I know just what you are going through. I too was going on a much anticipated vacation during a similar time in Kiowas life and I was worried sick. The one thing that helped is that a very dear friend of my was dog sitting and she takes care of her dogs better than most folks take care of their children. He was well taken care of and I hope you have that option so it can put your mind at ease.

Smile for him and enjoy the little things. He doesn't know he is older and wobblier; he knows only that he has a nice life and a momma who loves him dearly.

It is hard.

Sending gentle hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Been through it. Going through it again. Will keep on going through it as long as I have this weakness for seniors...

I understand completely. :bighug

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I completely understand how you feel, we are going through something very similar but our girl is a lot younger we are counting our days with her and every good day we have with her is wonderful.

Laurie,

That is the problem with pets. They never seem to stay as long as we would like them to. Give him all the love that your sweet boy desires. You make your decision about your vacation. After all, you probably do deserve one.

We have almost all been in your situation, one time or another. It is definitely sad to see them age, but, we got to share their youth. I hope you can feel the warm hugs we are sending your way.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest PhillyPups

When I knew our time was getting very limited, at 13-1/4 stepper found the couch and put an extra smile in my heart - one of the best gifts ever given to me was by DonnieDude when he joined us and Stepper spent his last 2 weeks playing like a puppy (well as much as he could) with him, putting another smile in my heart - each day is a gift. I tried to think of the special moments - even his last night when he slept on the couch and I slept on the dog bed by his side, his paw on my hand - they only know the moment and the love felt - a lesson I am trying to learn.

:bighug to you

Guest 4baddogs

I feel the same way. I've cancelled more trips than I can count because of one dog or another. Most recently it's been because of Zoe. Even when I do go on a trip, I worry constantly, call home a million times and count the hours to when we get back. I'm terrified something will happen when we're not here. So yeah, I'm a neurotic mess when I'm away from our dogs. But, I also did this when they were young (except the cancelling of trips!).

Many, many Hugs to you ... we have all been where you are right now, and all know how hard it is to watch our pets decline, knowing that you do not have the ability to keep your friend with you as long as you would want.

Enjoy every moment that you have together, and trust that you'll both know when its time to say goodbye.