Small Intestinal Disease

Our new girl Julie who we only had for 10 months was diagnosed with small intestinal disease yesterday. We sent blood work to Texas A & M. Hoping someone here has gone through this to share what we might except in the weeks and months to follow. Our vet at this point is going to talk to the doctor at Texas A & M for the course of action. But it's been mentioned B 12 injections and biopsy to see how far it's gone or if cancer. We just don't know what to except any help would be appreciated.

Woolfy

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kunder

St. Charles Mo.

Litter#: Tuf 72180 Crossed over the Bridge 7-5-05, D.O.G. 55539 Cross over the bridge, Peek-A-Boo 60707 Cross over the bridge, Romeo 97537, Julie 26989

You need to join the k9 EPIGLOBAL yahoo group. There are many people there who have gone/are dealing with this & there is a ton of info on site. Don't do a biopsy yet, join the list & read what's there first, Yes B12 is one of the main things used to treat this problem as well as changing the diet and use of certain antibiotics. Send me a PM if you have questions, this can be controled.

Guest Energy11

You can also check with Ohio State University and Dr. Couto's group. Good Luck! I wish I knew more about this, but that Yahoo group sounds like what you need.

Hugs and prayers!

Do you mean SIBO? I wish somebody had told me about that Yahoo group when Spencer was dealing with this last winter!

Yes, B12 is like a miracle substance. We have continued using it once a week, with our vet's blessing, despite the protocol that calls for decreasing frequency of dosing over time.

We opted for ultrasound instead of biopsy. It can show the condition of all the organs and can show if there is structural damage to the intestines that is consistent with IBD. In Spencer's case, it was. The only problem is that a textbook diagnosis, meaning one that everyone acknowledges as valid, requires biopsy. Our internist wouldn't continue to advise our vet on Spencer's treatment because we didn't do a biopsy.

I could go on and on, but it would probably be better if you just ask whatever specific questions you have, or PM if you'd like. If you look up my posts on Spencer from November to May, you'll see the progression from intestinal malabsorption to SIBO to IBD and all the considerations about his treatment. (He's doing reasonably well now and has regained 10 pounds.)

Best wishes to you and Julie!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Have you seen an Board ceritfied internist for this. They do specialize in gastro issues. Sending many prayers for your girl.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

The areas where the problems are in Cobalamin Fasting results: 226 Control Trange 251-908

Folate Fasting Results 5.4 Control Range 7.7-24.4

The TLI Fasting for the EPI were in the normal range

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kunder

St. Charles Mo.

Litter#: Tuf 72180 Crossed over the Bridge 7-5-05, D.O.G. 55539 Cross over the bridge, Peek-A-Boo 60707 Cross over the bridge, Romeo 97537, Julie 26989

Smokey has SIBO and we give him the B12 injections as well as a probiotic called Cultrelle. It is for people and has worked very well for him.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge