Metacam

Guest tigerlily

Guest tigerlily

does anyone here use this medicine for arthritis...how safe is it to use long term..all of thee side affects noted scare me, but is there a better alternative ?

NO BUTE it's herbal has devils claw in it (costs about £15.50 1 litre bottle) lasts about two months if on the full dose or longer if on the lowest dose.

You'll be amazed how much mobility it allows.....

Use it on our greyhound and we used it on our old thoroughbred mare.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest Energy11

I like Metacam for immediate care of pain. Easy to give, and they seem to like it.

I prefer Deramaxx (all NSAIDS have some side effects), along with Glucosamine and Chrondroitin.

Hope this helps!

I would definitely try supplements first before NSAIDS. Have you looked into Adequan shots?.

But to answer your question, I've had all 3 of my hounds on metacam for one thing or another & they all did very well on it. It wasn't given for longer than 4 months (for my osteo girl), so I can't say about long term safety. If they have a problem, it will usually be early on. However regular bloodwork is essential to monitor for potential trouble.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I've had 2 on Metacam long term, and faithfully did blood work every 6 months to monitor kidney/liver fuctions.

Both did very well on it

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Jamey was on some Metacam post amputation surgery. He did fine on it, but it was short term. I did have a Labrador who was on it for about 3 years for arthritis and she did fine on it long term. No side effects for her.

I should add that our current 12 and 1/2 year old Lab is on meloxicam..human pill form of Metacam (used off label for dogs), and has been for at least 2 years. She does well on this for her arthritis too.

Edited by mom2four

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.