Three Years And

rycezmom

What is it about the summer solstice? A time of change from one season to the next. It is seemingly also a time of loss. Too many still seem to leave us for the bridge at this time of year. It heralds the beginning of summer, of growth, of warmth, of change. Part of the circle of seasons. Part of the circle of my life with hounds.

It has been three years, a lifetime and just yesterday, that Ryce said goodbye to us, to spring, to pain, to his life with his family. His journey to the bridge was just as his life had been, quiet and dignified. Surrounded by those who loved him and those whom he loved and cared for. Those who love and miss him still...

He was an ordinary hound but an extraordinary canine being. He chose us as his family and we were blessed by that choice. He was one of many we saw that day. He was, of those many, the one that instantly flew to my side, sat on my foot, leaned on my leg and stared straight into my eyes and deep into my heart. We were his. From that moment, on that day, he gave us his whole heart forever and it was truly his greatest gift.

He was the elder statesman for the family, reminding us daily that dignity and diplomacy were the watchwords for us as his pack. He lived his life with that dignity but was capable of silliness at times when the occasional playfulness struck him. He would then look sheepishly around to make sure that nobody had seen him acting in a decidedly undignified manner. We would pretend not to have noticed. We would never embarrass him. He was the diplomatic ambassador, keeping peace when minor disagreements between hounds developed. He would correct with a gentle paw, a quiet bark or a stern snap. He taught us manners. He was unfailingly polite, asking permission with a questioning look before taking a cookie or placing his head in a lap. He would wait to be invited, always holding himself above the playful pushiness of the rest of the hounds.

He was also a teacher, instructing me on the ways of hounds, their likes, dislikes and the proper way they should be catered to by their humans. He taught me tolerance, patience, understanding and caring through his actions. He was gentle with the elderly of the family, not allowing a bump or a lean to inadvertently knock someone down. He seemed to sense the frailty of the elderly and challenged when coming into contact with them and afforded them his somewhat more reserved attention with gentleness. He instinctively understood the needs of the humans in his pack and gave his love and support unconditionally, with no expectation of reward.

He was always cognizant of the feelings of others. He instinctively knew when one was sad, happy, pensive or in pain and would care for you appropriately by giving gentle nudges, quiet comfort or acting as a nonjudgmental ear. His mannerisms and ways remain as a comfort to me. Coming over and quietly standing next to me in the night, looking out over the backyard, watching the current hounds of the household. Other hounds have taken over that job since he left us. But as he did it in life, I still feel him there next to me every evening, sharing the job with the current hound, a whisper of pressure against my leg. He is there guarding us, watching over us in the quiet of the night. Simply being with me in my memory.

It is the summer solstice now and three years he is gone. It is a time of change. My grief has finally transformed to feelings of gentle reflection on a life that was so exceptional to me. His life. I can think of Ryce without the pain of loss now. I live with a fondness of memory, a kinder inner peace at the loss of my extraordinary companion. His zebra stuffie sits on my dresser still, raggedy and stiff with its tail hanging by a thread. His pictures abound in many rooms of this house. A reminder of love, companionship, caring, tolerance and understanding. He lingers here with us always. Small toenail clicks on tile in the wee hours of the morning. A brief flash of soft brindle fur against my cheek, a glimpse of flowing movement in the corner of my vision, a small feeling of comfort in the corner of my mind, a grand swelling of love overwhelming my heart and soul. He remains with me. In my heart. A heart that is his still and forever.

My uncommon hound, my heart hound, my Ryce....

100_8578a-1.jpg

100_4824a.jpg

000_0006a.jpg

Edited by rycezmom

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

an incredible story about your incredible dog. it's nice to be able to remember them without the pain of loss. it's the peace of the memory now.

Lovely words :brokenheart . Ryce sounds like he was a wonderful dog and has left a remarkable legacy :grouphug .

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest PhillyPups

Absolutely beautiful tribute to an awesome soul who touched and lives on in your heart - keep watching over your family as you run with the angels sweet Ryce -

Pat