Kane Has Osteo

Guest Speedhoundz

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speedhoundz
Hey Beth, just checking in. How is Kane doing? Have the stomach issues subsided?

Eh, we think we've pinpointed the piroxicam as the culprit, and Dr. K agrees. I'll be picking up some rimadyl on my way home today to see if he can tolerate a different NSAID (plus some short-term medication to help prevent stomach ulcers). I'm hoping he responds well to it, because it really seems to make all the difference in controlling his pain--much more so than the gabapentin and even the tramadol. But his tumor is larger now, and I'm not sure how much longer any medication can keep him comfortable. We're taking it one day at a time. We are going out of town this week and taking him with us (can't bear to leave him with anyone in case something happens), and I am really hoping he does ok and we don't find ourselves in a bad situation in an unfamiliar, middle-of-nowhere town.

He is still pretty happy despite the tummy troubles. He even caught and ate a fly the other night! :sick Guess he wasn't getting enough protein from his bland diet. :)

Glad you pinpointed the problem and are changing meds. Rimadyl and tramadol together worked very well for one of my hounds. Also gave Pepcid AC 30 to 45 min. prior to NSAID medication. It's a good idea to take him with you. Cherish every moment you have with your precious boy and take plenty of photos. :beatheart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Also gave Pepcid AC 30 to 45 min. prior to NSAID medication.

Yeah, does Dr. kellogg have you giving anything like pepcid beforehand? Maybe it wouldn't make a diff with such strong meds, but it's pretty common to give a dose about 20-30 min before the meds, which are given with food. Worth also trying.

I hope the trip goes well.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Speedhoundz
Glad you pinpointed the problem and are changing meds. Rimadyl and tramadol together worked very well for one of my hounds. Also gave Pepcid AC 30 to 45 min. prior to NSAID medication. It's a good idea to take him with you. Cherish every moment you have with your precious boy and take plenty of photos. :beatheart

Very good to know the combo worked well for one of your pups. I'll have to ask my vet about the Pepcid...I haven't been giving it but it sounds like it could be a good idea.

We had a friend--someone who adopted one of our fosters, actually--do a little photo shoot with us and Kane because our camera broke a few months ago and I realized we didn't have any fantastic pictures of him or the three of us together. So as soon as he sends me the pics on CD I'll post some of them for y'all!

Christine is very big on using Pepcid as needed. Shoot her an email - I'm sure she'll tell you to go ahead.

Sending good, pain-free/tummy-trouble-free thoughts for y'all. :grouphug

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Energy11

We used Tramadol, Deramaxx and Pepcid AC with Max, per Dr. Couto and team, when he was on palliative care for Osteo.