Prayers For Parachute

Guest VWBuggin1963

Guest VWBuggin1963

Our senior Parachute will be 13 on July 16th. He is starting to have problems with his spine. Limping with back legs, now pain in his neck and problems walking with his front legs.

He still wants to take a walk every day but cannot lift his head high enough to eat out of his elevated food bowls. We has since lowered them and confined him to one level of the house. No more stairs. Any other suggestions??

He is taking a buffered aspirin twice a day.

Guest Energy11

I'd see the vet for some Deramaxx, MUCH better than coated 81 mg aspirin, and also start giving a Glucasomine supplement... maybe lower the bowls, or feed him when he is lying down? Poor baby! Sounds like REALLY bad arthritis! Good Luck and keep us posted. Hugs from here!

Guest KyGrey

I would have him check for LS (lumbrosacral stenosis). I don't have the link handy but Dr. Stack has a very good report on it.

Sending prayers that you can find out what's going on.

See the vet for sure. Just my opinion but asprin isin't going to take care of that kind of pain.

Keeping your boy in our prayers for comfort

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Make an appointment with the vet, and stop giving the Aspirin now, my 13 year old also started having problems with stairs, the vet prescribed Synovi 3G (supplements) and Rymadil, and she said we have to wait 2 weeks between the last Aspirin and the Rymadil. So now we are stuck, the Synovi is not going to kick in for 4-6 weeks, and I can't give her Rymadil yet. Best of luck and hugs to you and your hound, old age sucks but so does the alternative....

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

I am not a fan of NSAIDs since 80% of the adverse reactions that occur, occur in seniors. Long term use of aspirin is not a good idea.

Do you have him on supplements? Try Joint Health & Fresh Factors from

Springtime

The other thing you can do to jump start are Adequan shots.

If he can tolerate pred, that is another choice.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Hugs to Parachute. I concur with the others. My 11-1/2 yr old male has mild to moderate LS (confirmed through MRI, although at this point you surely do not need to spend the $$). No signs of significant arthritis. He has been on Get Up and Go supplements for several years. I started taking Indy for acupuncture treatments in Nov08 - what a lifesaver! I'm a believer! I give him Metacam sparingly; no aspirin. No stairs. In cool weather at bedtime (I live next door in Michigan), I cover them with a light-weight throw to keep the joints warm and from getting too stiff (my dogs sleep in their own beds; no furniture privileges). So it's been a combo platter of modalities.

Do you know a vet who does chiropractic adjustments - or at least can determine if a vertebrae is out of whack? That can be a contributing factor. My vet popped one back into place on my female hound.

The problem I'm having is I have a small SUV and jumping in and out over the years has taking its toll. My fault. I purchased nice dog ramp and we practice, but I still can't convince them it's a good thing! I'm running out of options so I will try to create some steps - the one posted on GT made out of insulation look doable.

Anything you can do to minimize stress on the back will surely help Parachute. :dogcookie

Guest VWBuggin1963

Parachute has only been on buffered aspirin for about 2 weeks and this was under the vet's recommendation at the time. I think the small SUV syndrome has affected Parachute too. He was always jumping in and out of it and you can never make them go slower.

He is on the way to the vet tomorrow to see if we can get some better pain meds and I have found 2 vets in the area that offer alternative treatments (accupuncture and chiropratic manipulations) thanks to a response from this greyt forum.

Parachute has only been on buffered aspirin for about 2 weeks and this was under the vet's recommendation at the time. I think the small SUV syndrome has affected Parachute too. He was always jumping in and out of it and you can never make them go slower.

He is on the way to the vet tomorrow to see if we can get some better pain meds and I have found 2 vets in the area that offer alternative treatments (accupuncture and chiropratic manipulations) thanks to a response from this greyt forum.

By the way, assuming that photo of the handsome brindle is Parachute - my Indy could be a separated at birth sibling! AND you and I share the same April b'day (I'm one year older). It's a small, small, small, small world! :lol

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Guest VWBuggin1963

By the way, assuming that photo of the handsome brindle is Parachute - my Indy could be a separated at birth sibling! AND you and I share the same April b'day (I'm one year older). It's a small, small, small, small world! :lol

Definitely a small world. I will update tomorrow after the visit. Also and going to seek out accupuncture.

Pam

Guest VWBuggin1963

Took Parachute to the vet.

He has a pinched nerve in his neck. Surgery is not indicated since there

is really little neurologic deficit, plus at his age it's really not an option.

He will remain on buffered asprin for another week or so and the we are supposed to start weaning him

off of that. He is to remain resting, no stairs, no running and just be babied as much as possible.

Of course, I came home from work early today to take him to the vet and he was walking better today.

We have had him restricted to one level since Monday and this must of already been helping.

Thanks for everyone's prayers and hugs.

If he starts getting worse, we will go with a non-steroidal and I will definitely enlist the services of a chiropratic vet.

Pam