The Box His Ashes Came In...

Guest jenznaz

Guest jenznaz

I wanted to spread some of his ashes around at some special outdoors places, but...how do you get the box open?? Granted I haven't investigated it too closely (actually, I had DH hide it, it was too depressing to look at sitting there on the table) but it seems pretty solid all around.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Jen

Guest trevdog

So sorry for your loss....they sometimes put a glue type substance around the lid to seal it. It can be opened but takes some prying....

Hugs....

Probably a plate on the bottom. Sydney Sue's came in a suede box with an obvious top to remove, and her actual ashes are in a can. The permanent ash boxes usually have a semi-hidden plate somewhere.

GTSig.jpg

Shannon, mom to Shae, Jesse James and Linus the Chinese Cresteds,and bridge angels Sydney Sue and Stewart.

Guest greytful4

Jen, My Kylie came back in a sealed Carved Oak box. I have her on a shelf with her picture, favorite toy, her last cookie and all the cards she got. Even after six weeks past, it still hurts. I don't think I could open that box,but maybe in time you will be able to open his. Hugs... :grouphug

One of ours has little screws on the bottom where you can open it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest kellabee

I still haven't found the strength to open my box. Dodge is still in a cardboard box (his urn inside) on the kitchen table, surrounded by junk so I don' t have to look at it.

I have no idea how to help you with opening yours, I believe from the picture I picked out, Dodge's is a jar.

Edited by kellabee

Guest MnMDogs

Matty's is in a very pretty box with her name on a metal plate affixed to it. I also don't know how to open it, but I'm not really sure I can anyway. It does look like there are screws on the bottom, though.

I'm not sure what I expected, but I was very surprised by the weight of it. As you all can probably relate, I still can't believe my girl is in there :(

Guest houndstooth4

Treat's ashes are sealed in a bag inside her box. I really wish I hadn't opened the box. I'd like to get a fancy urn for her, but so far I haven't been able to.

Guest ss556

I can relate to my 90 lb. boy and getting this tin container of him:( I couldn't believe it. I still have Alan in the green tin surrounded by greyhound trinkets and gifts on my dresser in my bedroom. I bought a wooden urn, put his picture in it but after 2 months still cannot move him into it. I guess I will know when I am ready. I opened the tin, that was easy, but something sealed, I don't know.

Hugs to you.

Oreo's ashes are in a tin box inside a cardboard box on a bookshelf, with her collar, the tags I still have (her tag collar got lost between the ER and the orthopedic surgeon's office), a CD of photographs of her, a small album with prints of my favorite photos, and cards and letters I got from friends after she died.

There's also a tiny urn. My intention was to save just a little of her ashes, then spread the rest in the yard and along the creek bank where we spent so much time. I wanted to keep just a bit of her ashes in an urn so that if I ever move from here she could go with me.

But I haven't brought myself to open the tin box her ashes are in. It's been more than three years, and I just can't do it. I don't want to see the ashes. That (very heavy) tin can't possibly contain my lively little girl. :(

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Flysmom

Don't know how you can open your box!

I wish my Fly would have come home in a box like that, he came home in a loaf like looking plastic think that is held together by rubber bands! I was so upset to see this!! The worst was that the rubberbands don't hold the top and it openend and I saw my boys ashes in a Ziploc bag... He is in drawer in my nightstand and when I can I will get him a nice Urn and move him - once I can handle it without crying and crying...

Icarus came home in an urn which they have sealed. I didn't know it at the time, but if I wanted to be able to move him to a different urn, I would have had to request that it be left unsealed.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest jenznaz

There's so many things they don't really tell you that you don't think to ask. For example, they attached a brass plaque with, "In Loving Memory, Nazzir". Even though we named him Nazzir when we got him, we never, ever ended up calling him that, always Naz or Nazzie. So I guess they just took it off of his medical records from the vet. But if I'd been asked, I would have wanted his more familiar name engraved on the box, ya know??

Treat's ashes are sealed in a bag inside her box. I really wish I hadn't opened the box. I'd like to get a fancy urn for her, but so far I haven't been able to.

I couldn't open the can Syd's ashes are in. I'll have to get someone else to transfer them. :cry1

GTSig.jpg

Shannon, mom to Shae, Jesse James and Linus the Chinese Cresteds,and bridge angels Sydney Sue and Stewart.

The last one we had (for our cat) had an opening in the bottom and the contents were in a sealed plastic bag. There's no rush, though, so why not leave it until you feel better about it? It's taken me up to 2 years to scatter some of mine's ashes, but others I've done within a few days - whatever feels right.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

We haven't done anything with Scarlett, Rhett or Taffy's (kitty) ashes. Scarlett's tin/urn is still in the box that the Dover, DE emergency vet mailed her in. They are all in a closet.

We have an area that we are going to turn into a memorial garden for all our fur kids. So far only Garfield is buried there (she died in summer so we could dig her a grave and didn't have her cremated). One of the local fruit orchards (pick your own) has apples called "Scarlet Suprise", I am going to find out where I can purchase a tree and plant it in the memorial garden. Maybe then we will be able to open the ashes. I want to save just a little to put in a pendant for each "fur" and bury the rest.

Annette

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Guest syra42

When the ashes of our Okie came home I had purchased a Wooden urn, and was able to just put the can the ashes were in right inside the urn. We miss him so much but have put our order in for a new grey soon.

Usually there's some kind of mechanism such as a sliding plate that will allow you to open the box. It can take some investigation to find it. If you need to, you can probably call the vet's office or whomever did the cremation to ask them how it works.

Argus's cremains came back in a cheap plastic cracker box. I opened it thinking that must just be a protective case for the real, nice box but there were his ashes sitting in a plastic baggie. It was an insult and a shock. My other pets have always come back in some kind of pretty, dignified wooden urn, not a cracker box. I guess I thought all pet crematoriums did it that way.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg