Gnats!

This afternoon when we were all outside the gnats were driving the crazy....Mac (House) Daddy finally gave up and ran inside, followed shortly by the girls. The nasty things swarm around their "parts". Is there a good "natural" spray I can put on them? Maybe add something to their diet? I know I've seen a thread of something similar here but I can't find it right now. I guess I'm lucky it's not mosquitos but gnats are much more annoying!!!!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

OMG! Sherri has been bothered relentlessly by those little pests, too. She is always turning around to look at her

back end and they even interrupt her in the middle of pooping. I've resorted to waving a paper towel behind her

while she is in the squat position so she could finish her business. Thank God I live on 12 acres and no one can see

me from the road!

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Gnats hate Avon's Skin-So-Soft. That's a skin oil, and you don't want to apply a lot of it, but you can try diluting it with water.

We used to apply a light strip of it under our eyes when we visited my parents' farm in north Georgia, and the gnats left us alone.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Yep - Skin-so-Soft here! They have one specifically for bug repellent now and it has sunscreen. We have been using it for years.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Pregnant neighbor uses Skin-So-Soft. It doesn't work. Verified by neighbor, who is going mad :lol , and by myself who watched the gnats and mosquitoes land and bite while I was unharmed in my DEET cloud.

The Adams Energy11 mentions is supposed to repel; you're not supposed to apply it real often, says how often on the label which I am too lazy to go read. We haven't tried it yet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MyBoys

Our vacation home is right on the water and we get those nasty little things plus the big ugly greenhead flies, I use Skin-So-Soft also, it really helps and the boys smell good too.

Guest Energy11
Pregnant neighbor uses Skin-So-Soft. It doesn't work. Verified by neighbor, who is going mad :lol , and by myself who watched the gnats and mosquitoes land and bite while I was unharmed in my DEET cloud.

The Adams Energy11 mentions is supposed to repel; you're not supposed to apply it real often, says how often on the label which I am too lazy to go read. We haven't tried it yet.

I apply it twice a week. Checked with my former employer/greyhound savvy vet/friend, and he says twice a week is fine, and really ,that is all I need. FOR US... we use the OFF or one of those, but not often. Good Luck with this one, though!

Guest BlackandBrindle

There are essential oils that are supposed to repel flying insects. I think maybe peppermint and wintergreen but you'd have to verify.

We also have the NEEM spray and it works for us, houndies and human. Of course, we don't have many mosquitoes in the desert, but if there is one, it will find me. :rolleyes:

We got the spray from Fritofeet here on GT. I don't think it's on her site (it may be) but if not, you could always pm her. :)

oh, her site is http://www.crazyforcollars.com