Rattlesnake Vaccine

Guest RainShine

Guest RainShine

I saw an earlier thread on the Rattlesnake Vaccine and wanted to know if any of you have more information on it. I live in Los Feliz and hike in Griffith park and we see Rattlesnakes at the side of the trail & crossing the trail all the time! In 3 days I saw a total of 6 Rattlesnakes plus one dead one. This is in Los Angeles, it's crazy!

I know the first booster is $50 and then you wait two weeks for another booster at $50. It also takes about 2 weeks for any of it to take effect. It's good for an entire year. Each year thereafter you do one booster at $50. My question is, how do the Greys handle the injection, any reactions, are they more sensitive to this then other dogs?

Patrick Callaghan who teaches Rattlesnake avoidance classes was highly recommended to me. He's based out of Norco but travels around to do clinics. He does use a shock collar and real Rattlesnakes but supposedly does it very humainly according to the breed of the dog and at a very light sensitivity. Any of you heard about him or tried the class?

Already ran into a few hikers who's dogs were bitten. One cost $7,000 and survived!

Any information will be grateful and Sunny will appreciate it as well. Thank you!

I'm very interested to hear of a vaccine against rattlesnake venom; I had no idea! I hope some posters have more information. Is it available for humans, I wonder?

Jenn

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

Patrick Callaghan who teaches Rattlesnake avoidance classes was highly recommended to me. He's based out of Norco but travels around to do clinics. He does use a shock collar and real Rattlesnakes but supposedly does it very humainly according to the breed of the dog and at a very light sensitivity. Any of you heard about him or tried the class?

I wouldn't think that you would need this class for a GH who is on lead while hiking. I would assume that the handler (you) would see the snake and shorten the lead of the dog and move away FAST. I know nothing about the vaccine, so I can't offer any help there. Sorry!

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

What I was told about the vaccine is that it just buys you time to get to the vet. The dog will still need to be seen and or treated.

Here it is about $25 at the clinic. The snake we have to worry about is the Mohave Green and tho it is a rattlesnake it is to potent for the vaccine to help.

All the class is, is learning negative reaction to the rattle sound. He will shake a rattlesnake tail and use a shock at the same time. After a while the dog will learn that the rattle "hurts" and will get away. (this is a very basic synopsis of the class).

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

Guest RainShine

I wouldn't think that you would need this class for a GH who is on lead while hiking. I would assume that the handler (you) would see the snake and shorten the lead of the dog and move away FAST. I know nothing about the vaccine, so I can't offer any help there. Sorry!

It's not for humans, no; the easiest way to get "vaccinated" for rattlesnake bite is to become a handler, and get bitten often.

As for dogs- I seem to recall the vaccine needs to be re-upped every 6 months. Avoidance classes last much longer. It depends upon your threat level, and how far you want to go with it. It also depends upon the type of snake you have locally; the vaccine works on hemotoxic venoms, but not neurotoxic- which is why it doesn't work on the northern populations of Mojave greens.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest RainShine

I do keep him on a short lead, watch his every move, scale the trails on the side and in front of me and part of going out for walks & hikes is to let your dog sniff , enjoy the nature etc., you just can't keep him on the center of a dirt path constantly.., believe me I know what I'm doing and I'm extremely aware of all my surroundings (as I have lots of experience working with and walking all types of animals) but when you see Rattlesnakes nestled at the side of the trail (which I spotted not the dog) and crossing the path in the near distance, you don't want to take any chances. I just want to do everything I can..., too many dogs get bitten and too many dogs die. The dog I mentioned that got bit was on a short lead. The handler didn't even see the snake at the side of the trail.

Guest kydie

No not available for humans, I live in diamond back country, questioned my vet on the vaccine 1 yr. ago, told, No, not worth the hassle, and told the same for the vaccine for gum disease, best is preventive in both cases, Snake vaccine, is an injection of antivenom, so it only buys you a short amount of time to get to a vet,

Guest TBSFlame

We have copperheads in this area not rattlesnakes. Had one in the back yard last year. The mountains of NC have rattlesnakes. I hate snakes.

Guest Energy11

http://www.redrockbiologics.com/FAQ.html

It is safe for greyhounds and other breeds. I will be getting some from my former vet/friend, in Florida, next month, when I go and will vaccinate all of mine. It does not protect them against the snake bite, but gives them a better chance.

Unfortunately, nothing for humans, execpt anti-venom, which is usually carried in the ERs.

I do not walk mine anymore, since seeing that Cottonmouth last Sunday! Just too many around this time of year. D

It's not for humans, no; the easiest way to get "vaccinated" for rattlesnake bite is to become a handler, and get bitten often.

True, that can work ... is there any "benefit" to that, like there is with bee stings and possible help with arthritis?

Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

True, that can work ... is there any "benefit" to that, like there is with bee stings and possible help with arthritis?

You can win bar bets.

You can win arguments.

He leaned in close- real close and said, nearly in a whsiper, "Pal- I get bit by rattlesnakes. For fun." He leaned back and crossed his arms. "Now you just go ahead and do what you were going to do."

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

• 2 years later...
Guest Timo

I was doing a search and found this thread. My gardener told me today that a rattlesnake almost bit him a couple of weeks ago IN MY YARD while he was weed wacking. Now, I am considering getting the vaccine for Timo, but wanted to make sure greyhounds were not prone to adverse reactions from it? Anyone have any experience with it recently? Thanks!