Even After The Vet, I Don't Know What This Is

Guest javelins

Guest myGreyHeart

I have no idea what this could be....even after taking her to the vet. They gave me no name or anything and my search results have not helped. It started out as a small bump on her paw (I guess it's really slightly above her actual paw). The vet said at the time it was nothing to worry about. Now she's had it for a year and it's grown....looks like it split in two?? It bothers her if someone touches it all over. After taking her to the vet last week, I thought they would do a test (biopsy?) or something but all the Dr. said was that it was most likely non-cancerous and she should have it removed (yes, I agree). I asked would they do it locally? "No, that bothers the dogs more..." Her vet called back 3 days later and estimated to remove it, it would be around 1000 since she'd be under anesthesia and get pain medication. Should I get a second opinion? Not to remove it, but I am so worried as to what it is. I'm worried about her so much. It's almost half an inch long now and I'll (trying) put pictures up if anyone has seen this before. I really hope it's not something worse

pics163-1.jpg

pics162.jpg pics164.jpg

Where are you located? My vet would probably do that under a local. Full anaesthesia option would be maybe $200.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KennelMom

I'd have it removed but YOWZA $1000 seems awfully high!!! Just had Scout in for a stitches and it was $214 including full anesthesia and pain meds to take home (you can get tramadol for $4 for a 30 day supply at a human pharmacy). Seems I recall it being about the same when Grandpa had a growth removed from his face a couple years ago (Grandpa was a greyhound, not a person).

eta: maybe they are including sending it out to a pathologist, but even so that still sounds really expensive....To give you a frame of reference, the specialty hospital here quoted us $1200 to do a full toe amputation by a board certified surgeon. (and that's ridiculously high for a toe amp...our vet will do it for $500)

Edited by KennelMom

Guest sheila

I would find a different vet because the current one sounds like an idiot.

I don't know what the growth is, but I know if I took my dog to my vet I would get more than a shrug of the shoulders for a diagnosis. It would also not take 3 days to get an estimate on the surgery cost, my vet would tell me right then and there what the cost would be. If the growth has gotten bigger/changed shape and is bothering the dog it's a no-brainer that it needs to be removed and biopsied. I would have it done sooner rather than later.

edited to add that at my vet the cost would likely be under $150 for surgery and pain meds.

Edited by sheila

I agree with Sheila. Get a second opinion by someone who is 1) not going to be so dismissive, and 2) isn't going to gouge you.

Hailey had something similar on her back, and my vet was much more helpful in diagnosing and treating it. It turned out to be nothing serious (histoma), and after a round of antibiotics it dried up and fell off.

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

Guest EmilyAnne

Get that biopsied asap. Riley had a growth, that at first several x rays were taken, but no needle biopsy. It was diagnosed as soft tissue injury. It grew, a couple months later, a biopsy was done, and by then, it was too large and covered an area where it is now considered non removable except by full limb amputation. So, make sure you request the biopsy, and request it SOON.

Did your vet perform a fine needle aspirate (that's were they draw a few cells out via a needle)?? To me it does look benign (it's haired which is a good sign)--my guess would be a sebaceous adenoma, however, you really can't diagnose just by looking. I would first have a FNA done and then to play it safe have it excised and let a Path Dr diagnose it. Personally, I feel that having it removed with just a local would be really tough--they can move too much and there really isn't much tissue there to work with making it more difficult to close the excision. Maybe they could give her a "twilight" sedation? Does she need her teeth cleaned--just a thought--maybe you could have both procedures done at the same time???

Guest myGreyHeart

When I asked about having it aspirated, this vet just said "well I could cut a piece off", which sort of horrifed me that she was not only irritated by my every question, but not being kind to Rose, which is what really mattered. I really had it then to switch her vets (and no she said even if I had it done with her dental it would have been more harmful to keep her under longer. 'better to do two separate procedures') I had an appointment for her that my mother made, with a nice veterinarian recommended by one of her patients (she's an R.N.) who rescues dogs (Greys too)

But I'm feeling now that I should move it up ASAP........ :ohno

Guest EmilyAnne

When is the appt.? The needle way is how we found out Riley has cancer. His was quite a bit bigger before we found out though. If it is the 'c' your catching it a lot earlier than we did.

eta: maybe they are including sending it out to a pathologist, but even so that still sounds really expensive....

No kidding. I think the biopsy fee here is still @ $120.

For something that small, in a location where you really don't have room to be talking about margins, my vets would probably just take it off -- and probably with the laser -- and biopsy rather than doing an FNA first.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

When I asked about having it aspirated, this vet just said "well I could cut a piece off", which sort of horrifed me that she was not only irritated by my every question, but not being kind to Rose, which is what really mattered. I really had it then to switch her vets (and no she said even if I had it done with her dental it would have been more harmful to keep her under longer. 'better to do two separate procedures') I had an appointment for her that my mother made, with a nice veterinarian recommended by one of her patients (she's an R.N.) who rescues dogs (Greys too)

But I'm feeling now that I should move it up ASAP........ :ohno

It doesn't make sense to me that the vet would say it would harmful to keep her under longer to do both a teeth cleaning and remove the growth. The only way that this makes sense is if she thinks that it would take a long time to remove the growth but, from the picture that does not seem likely but, I'm not a vet ....

Whenever I have a dog put under anesthesia for a procedure, I always think of what else (small things) might need to be done so that they only have to be put under once. For example, my previous greyhound was going to have his teeth cleaned and he also had a small cyst (1/4 inch) on his side which we decided to take off at the same time.

The price also seems pretty high to me although, if it was an emergency surgery then I would expect it to be about that amount but in this case it does not appear to be an "emergency". I'm comparing this to prices that I have been charged at Angel Memorial in Boston - their prices tend to be on the high side but for emergency/specialty services they are invaluable.

I'd get a second opinion from a different vet too. I don't like the sound of your current vet, especially the fact that she was "irritated" by your questions - that's just not right.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am glad you have an appt. with a different vet. The first one sounds, well, awful. I hope it turns out to be nothing, keep us posted.

Guest benson

If the vet had something like that growing on her I'm sure she would want to know what it is.

Happy to read you're going to another vet. Sounds to me like she popped that $1K price off the top of her head to make you think twice and go away.

Guest Greyglo

It could be a histiocytoma, a benign lump that is normally removed because it can be annoying. They often appear on the legs of young dogs. I'm at work and don't have links here to share but there is a lot of info online and pictures you could see.

Your vet's fee is awfully high. Best wishes with your sweet girl.

Guest myGreyHeart

The soonest appointment I could get was June 19th (I tried getting a closer one). Since she will be a new patient there and they also told me the one dr will be on vacation. But it's killing me and I hope it's not "c" :sad1 She's seven years old, a senior, but to me she's always going to be a playful baby, aren't they all like that?

I don't know if they will first do a biopsy or remove it and see what it is/was. But the time won't pass quickly enough. I feel like I should call again and again to see if there are any cancellations.

Guest trevdog

I would call again....and also maybe another vet? Where are you located? There is a vet list pinned at the top of the forum here, maybe one is cloes to you.

Guest Spencers_Greyt
I would find a different vet because the current one sounds like an idiot.

I don't know what the growth is, but I know if I took my dog to my vet I would get more than a shrug of the shoulders for a diagnosis. It would also not take 3 days to get an estimate on the surgery cost, my vet would tell me right then and there what the cost would be. If the growth has gotten bigger/changed shape and is bothering the dog it's a no-brainer that it needs to be removed and biopsied. I would have it done sooner rather than later.

edited to add that at my vet the cost would likely be under $150 for surgery and pain meds.

:nod:nod

Guest EmilyAnne
Ok, THANK doG. Bumped UP!!! 4th of June....ok not so far away.

4th of June, that's not so bad, exzactly just one week away! Tomorrow will be less than a week. Meanwhile, take heart if it is the 'c', your catching it quite a bit earlier than we caught it in our dog.

:grouphug

When Foxy had her lump checked, and it was huge compared to that, we opted for removal and sending it to pathology. Here where vet fees are quite expensive it only cost $700 including blood work. That is tiny and shouldn't take long. I'd ask the vet to just remove it no matter what. Even simple things over time can become malignant. Plus if it hurts or bothers her it should come off.

Good luck with your new vet, I`m adding some prayers that it is nothing, just bothersome.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest myGreyHeart

I would really hope if they put a needle in, that she would get a numbing agent or something? My mother had a (benign) cyst in her breast two years ago and I was shocked when she told me the Dr. gave nothing and just put the needle in for a biopsy and how much it hurt her. I thought that was crazy.