Joey: Possible Stomach Ulcer

Guest Mommydog

Guest Mommydog

We've been back to the vet today, and seen Katie, who is the girl we normally see. She thinks Joey may have a stomach ulcer, due to all the meds etc he's had recently. Katie is treating him with Antepsin and Zantac for the next 3 days ( it would be a public holiday here Monday :rolleyes: ). So we go back on Tuesday, if things aren't improving she'll endoscope him. Apparently greys are more prone to stomach ulcers, I didn't know that. Poor boy he's thoroughly miserable, I hope the meds settle him. He has pooped a few times, so I guess that would rule out a blockage, which is what I was wondering about, and he hasn't vomited either.

Here's a link to my original post.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=230665

I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem before.

Edited by Mommydog

Oh Angie, I hope Joey will get comfortable today. No experience here but we had to keep a close eye on Misty because of the high doses of pred causing an ulcer.

Please give him a big hug from us

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

Wishing you love and luck from here, too.

Curfew is on Pred.,, 20 mg/daily, with 20 mg of Pepcid AC. We have to watch his tummy, too.

The treatment Joey is on should help!

Good Luck!

Guest bonscoby

Angie, what habz you been doin to stress poor Joey???????? I thinkz he shud take da big bed an be serbed egstra speshul food onacounta da ulzer you mite habz gibben him!!!!!!!

Free to Blame Anybuddy butz Joey

Angie, Bonnie heer...I mean here. You may need some Zantaz or Pepcid when you are done treating Joey!!!!!

Fingers and paws crossed that the meds will fix things for your handsome boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Mommydog

Thanks all, he had the meds about 6pm this evening, and he's had two small meals this evening. He seemed to be in a lot of pain after the first meal with stomach cramps. Though so far after the second meal, which was about 40 mins since he's been OK. Previously the pains seem to have started about 10 mins after eating, so, so far, so good, I hope!!! And the vile stench that was coming off his breath seems to be lessening. So here's hoping Katie's on the right track. The poor boy has really been through the mill the last couple of days. I just want my sweet greedy boy back!

Poor Joe! My stomach started to hurt when I read the original post - ouch! Will pray for the meds to soothe his hurting tummy! Hope he feels even better tomorrow! Sending prayers and gentle hugs.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Mommydog

Well he seems to have had a better night, and whilst I think he's he's still in discomfort, he doesn't appear to be getting the really bad pains anymore. And when he heard me rattling around with the breakfast things he came in the kitchen. I mixed his Zantac with some yogurt and Manuka honey and he took that OK. In almost 9 years of having him I've never known him refuse food like he has been doing, which is very worrying. Anyway :goodluck for a better day today.

Guest bonscoby

Hoping and praying for Joey to feel better.........Stomach problems sure take their time to go away.

I'm sure this is taking a toll on you, Angie. Just remember that Zantac can take a week or two to make a difference in humans...

Guest Mommydog
Hoping and praying for Joey to feel better.........Stomach problems sure take their time to go away.

I'm sure this is taking a toll on you, Angie. Just remember that Zantac can take a week or two to make a difference in humans...

You're not kidding Bonnie, it's been very stressful! He's been so poorly the last couple of days, I was beginning to think I might lose him. However, today he's improved quite a bit. He's still far from right, but at least he seems to be heading in the right direction. And whilst he appeared to have some discomfort about an hour after breakfast, which fortunately didn't last long, he's wasn't in the awful pain he has been. In retrospect when Nisha told me to starve him, but carry on with the Metacam, it's probably the worst thing you could do for an ulcer. No wonder he was in such terrible pain! Anyway we see Katie again on Tuesday, and I shall be continuing to see her, until we get this thing sorted out.

In retrospect when Nisha told me to starve him, but carry on with the Metacam, it's probably the worst thing you could do for an ulcer.

Absolutely - true for all NSAIDS. I'm glad Joey is feeling better. :kiss2

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I have had several dogs with severe stomach issues. When one of my dogs was throwing up coffee ground emesis (blood in vomit, looks like, well coffee grounds) I called the Evet (happened at 4am of course) and the vet tech happened to be a friend and I was told to give my dog prilosec OTC. With in 1 hour the vomiting stopped and after one day the tarry stools were gone. Good stuff, so I use the prilosec OTC and it works beautifully.

I have another dog who gets stressed and begins to have tarry stools and she's now on prilosec. Also I have Carafate 1gm that I use when they have severe issues going on, it is a huge help and the generic (sucralfate) is cheap.

Guest Mommydog

Well it started out a good day, but rapidly went downhill from about 3p.m. Which was when he started with the tummy spasms again. They went on about every 10-20 mins until 7p.m. In desperation I rang the vet again, it was Nisha, she said to wait and see if he settled down, anyway finally he did, and I managed to get the remaining two meals he was due into him (he's currently on four small meals a day). It's very distressing to see him in such obvious pain, when he's panting, arching, stretching and pacing :( These spasms seem to exhaust him too.

I gave him some Slippery Elm food last night, and he seemed to have a pain free night. Whether it was just coincidence, or it did some good I don't know. I've had to come to work tonight, we aren't allowed to take time off on public holidays, and I've already said I'm sick twice in the last fortnight. Anyway Gwanee went round about 11.30p.m. I just got off the phone with her, and she's given him his Slippery Elm, and he seems to be OK at present. However, she will stay on a while to make sure he's alright, and if he started with pains again she'll stay over until I get home in the morning.

I'll be glad to get back to the vets with him on Tuesday. I'm going to ask Katie about doing an ultrasound. It may well be an ulcer, but after having read about IBD, a lot of his symptoms fit that.

Angie, I am sorry to hear Joey had a bad spell! I think the slippery elm probably did help, it is very soothing. I hope it is "just" an ulcer, but you can deal with IBD too, if it turns out to be that. I've been coping with Fletcher's for five years, and once we figured out what he could and couldn't eat, it's not bad. Even RobinM's poor Beau, who has it much worse than Fletcher, is finally stable! I hope Joey has a good night :bighug

Guest Mommydog
Angie, I am sorry to hear Joey had a bad spell! I think the slippery elm probably did help, it is very soothing. I hope it is "just" an ulcer, but you can deal with IBD too, if it turns out to be that. I've been coping with Fletcher's for five years, and once we figured out what he could and couldn't eat, it's not bad. Even RobinM's poor Beau, who has it much worse than Fletcher, is finally stable! I hope Joey has a good night :bighug

Thanks for that Jan, it makes me feel a bit better. I've just been feeling really down with it all today. I just want to know exactly what it is we're dealing with here, then he can be got on the right treatment for it. It's very upsetting to see him in all this pain, and not to be able to do anything. Although gently rubbing his tummy does seem to relax him a little.

Poor bug, and poor worried momma.

What is he eating? Something nice and bland and low residue?

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Pipi5

Oh Angie, I hate this. I don't like hearing my Joey Bloo is not feeling good. Take good care of both you & him!

Hilda & Pipi