Pancreatic Insufficiency?

Guest vikmb2

Guest vikmb2

Hi all,

The saga of my new Greyhound's bowel issues continues, and now, after more weight loss and bright, mustard color stool with undigested ground beef in it, the vet is leaning towards Pancreatic Insufficiency. Just took blood and should have the results back by Tuesday. I know nothing about this condition and although it's been discussed on this board, I can't find any posts regarding prognosis/quality of life w/this diagnosis. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Karin

With prescription enzymes, life is good :) I got Panakare from Omaha Vaccine which worked fine and much less expensive than Viokase. I wonder about a gluten intolerance also.

I've had a few that needed enzymes for a short time. How old is the new greyhound? Him/her?

Sending prayers!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Energy11

There are treatments and special foods for this.

Once you get your bloodwork back, you and the vet can go from there. Good Luck on this for sure!

Guest kydie

went through this with my GSP drove him 200 miles to a large animal hospital, discovered it was IBS, he was on meds for this, and he was "stoned" couldn't stand seeing him like that, went holistic, NO more issues, yes I watch his diet, and feed top grade kibble, and pancreatic issues were suspecticed.( but turned out no) keep your fingers crossed

Darlin has been on viokase for a couple of years. She does just fine, although I have to work a little to keep her weight normal. Her stools are well formed but look "grainy" because of the lower absorption rate.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

I had a non Grey diagnosed with this problem as a puppy. She had to have an enzyme powder on everything she ever ate for the rest of her life but she lived 12 1/2 healthy years. Fingers crossed for an easy fix for your boy.

Guest vikmb2
With prescription enzymes, life is good :) I got Panakare from Omaha Vaccine which worked fine and much less expensive than Viokase. I wonder about a gluten intolerance also.

I've had a few that needed enzymes for a short time. How old is the new greyhound? Him/her?

Sending prayers!

He'll be 6 in Oct and was retired in Nov at the end of the fall season in Pensacola, FL. I got him Jan 10th and it's been going on ever since....thanks for the tip!

If you join the K9-EPIGLOBAL yahoo group you can order the enzymes for much less that any where else as well as get a lot of good information from ther owners of dogs with these problems. Your vet can also contact TX A&M for lots of good help as they are doing major studies on animals with these problems. Also have your vet check the B12 levels that cause SIBO as the treatment is a little different. You need to feed a low fat,no grain food- Dick Van Patten Limited ingredient foods are good. It does take a while to get things to settle down but can be controlled. Noelle, my whippet, is doing very well now that I've fount the EPI group and most people don't realize she has a problem. Good luck.

Guest Winterwish

Just a quick mention that yellowish,or mustard colored poops can indicate a giardia infection. Has your vet ran a stool for giardia specifically?

If you join the K9-EPIGLOBAL yahoo group you can order the enzymes for much less that any where else

How much less?

We can find an 8oz bottle of Pancrezyme for $100 and the shelter is able to get it through the vet for a bit less. If the shelter can get it somewhere else for less, that would be helpful for them.