Anyones Input Greatly Appreciated - Blood In My Greys Urine But Not A

Guest macdobe

Guest macdobe

Hello,

My Greyhound is 10 and he seems to have a condition which has yet to be diagnosed by our vet. Over the last 6-7months his urine sporadically appears to have blood in it. We took him to the vet when we immediately noticed and they initially thought urinary tract infection. However, no infection appeared in the urinalysis.

We ran him on a course of antibiotics anyway, however, the blood still continued to appear in urine. So we had a full work up done X-rays, repeated urinalysis and blood work, ultrasound. Nothing showed up. We where thinking it might be stomach cancer but no tumors showed up on the ultrasound.

In the last week his appetite has also reduced pretty significantly, although we can not tell if he is just sick of his food or this is a symptom. We have tried different dry food which he still seems to be turning his nose up to, but if we give him something really tasty cooked steak and biscuits he is all over it.

Anyone suggestions on what may be going on would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks.

Brian

Guest Energy11

Blood in the urine can sometimes be indicative of Kidney Failure. Have you had recent blood work done? Also, can be kidney stones, as well. That is usually diagnosed with an ultra sound.

Good Luck! D

Guest macdobe

Lots of blood work has been completed, no stones, Kidneys seem to be normal.

The more I read on the forums it may be a tick borne infection?? Does this make sense?

The blood has to be coming from somewhere. How were urine samples for testing obtained?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest macdobe

Bladder Cancer is a possibility but, tumors have not shown up on ultrasound.

Urine samples were collected in sterile container both morning and eve for two days. Provided to the vet within an hour of each collection.

Have the vet do a cystocentesis -- sterile draw from the bladder with a needle. (Note that this is NOT catheterization. The needle is inserted thru the outside of the dog's side, into the bladder. Fine-gauge needle, dog doesn't need to be anesthetized, less painful than a vaccine.) This would help you and vet determine if blood is coming from bladder or, say, urethra.

Gah. Wish I had some other bright ideas for you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I second the culture. You may have been giving the incorrect antibiotics. Some bacteria can be very resistant to antibiotic's so even after treating with meds it's a good idea to re-culture the urine to make sure the antibiotics did their job. Also, what was the specific gravity of the urine and was it a first morning sample that you have submitted? :unsure

Guest SoulsMom

I was thinking bladder stones or crystals as well. Archie (non-grey) developed bladder stones that caused blood in his urine. They couldn't be seen on an ultrasound, but upon surgery to remove his polyps (which they DID see on the ultrasound and thought to be cancer) they found the stones. Big ones too!

Guest macdobe

Well have been through another battery of test and ultrasounds, the conclusion form the internist was he has lost quite a bit of kidney function in both kidneys, however, he is still able to concentrate urine normally which means whatever is left f the Kidneys is still working.

They believe this was caused by an infection and the infection caused a widening of one of the renal valves which also allowed a small kidney stone to enter in essence pretty much destroying one of his kidneys.

The recomendation has been to put him on Antibiotics for potentially the rest of his life. They also provide some pain meds. Our biggest issue however is that he will not eat. I have pretty much tried everything but he will not eat.

I believe I read somewhere of a kidney stone treatment that is steroid based and actually boosts appetite, is anyone aware of the, I think it was call "provostone" or something like that?

They have also recommend we remove the kidney with no function, I am worried a surgery in his current state is not the best thing?

If anyone can recommend meds, alternative treatment suggestions it would be much appreciated

Guest greytexplorer

First of all, :welcome to Greytalk!

Sorry it is under these circumstances, though.

Mandy had a terrible time with a persistent uti. We finally cleared it up with 2 rounds of a shot called Convenia. Second shot was given 3 or 4 weeks after the first one (I forget).

Convenia is a multi-antibiotic shot, if I remember correctly. It is administered based on dog's weight.

Cost---figure about $1 per pound of dog. 65 lb dog=$65 of convenia. And it is worth every penny because you don't have to give 4 pills a day for 10 days (or whatever)!!! :clap

As for the kidney with no function.....is there a reason to remove it? I too would be concerned with putting your dog under anesthesia, since he is not very well physically.

Where are you located, by the way?

Guest macdobe

Thanks for the advice, I will pass the info on to my vet about the Convenia.

I am located in Hamilton, Ontario. Advice is much appreciated.