New Here

Well, I think I'm back, really. I had another ID a few years ago, but do not remember what it was, so I registered again.

Some of you might know me as mom2jamey from other forums. Well, we now have 4 Greyhounds. Well, actually, 3 Greys and one Galgo- he came all the way from Spain. Plus we still have our elderly Labrador.

Grey number one is Jamey (King James). He is a black boy, and we have had him since 2001.

Grey number two is Tosca (Lady Tosca). She is a small dark brindle. and we got her as a pup in 2006.

Then came Galgo number one- Marco. He is a fawn brindle. He is from Spain, through an adoption group there. My husband was in Europe and took him back in 2007.

Then Grey number 4 is Diego (Brute Force). He is a big red brindle boy. We adopted him in Jan'09. He is a big marshmallow!

The Labrador is Heidi, and she turned 12 in February. Plus we have 5 cats, all rescues.

I registered again because Jamey is having some health problems, possible osteosarcoma. We are not sure yet, this has all been happening in the last 5 days. I'll post more in the health section once we know more.

Nice to be here again,

Tin, hubby Michael, and the "zoo"

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest GreytMuse

Welcome back! :) We're glad to have you with us again, though I sincerely hope your Jamey's health issues turn out to be something easily treatable. There is so much awesome support and wisdom here, it's truly the best resource for us greylovers. Looking forward to some pictures of your pack!...

Thank you for the welcomes everyone. I gave my husband my ID also, so he may possibly post under my ID.

If someone can tell me how yo make a nice little strip if pictures like I see here, I will try to post some pictures.

Welcome (back) from a house also with 3 greys and a Galgo from Spain. :wave

Shannon (?) we read a little bit about your quest to get your Galgo. I will post Marco's story there. He was an abused and very shy Galgo, but has come a long way in a year and a half.

Tin, Michael and the zoo

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Since I could not find that post anymore, here is Marco's story:

Marco was captured near Seville, Spain in April of 2007. We have found out that he was used as a hunting dog there, and was actually a very good hunter. But he was not needed anymore, so people broke his hind leg by driving a motorbike over it, and set him loose. When he was finally captured, he was extremely skinny, and very, very scared of people. He was eventually moved to the Netherlands by an adoption group. He was on their website for about four months, but because he was so scared, he was always passed over by potential adopters.

My husband was in the Netherlands, saw his picture on that website and contacted the people saying that he would like to adopt Marco if he could go back with him to Canada. He explained that we already had two Greyhounds (at that time). Well, eventually the people let him adopt Marco and late in 2007 they boarded a plane and travelled home.

A few days after Marco arrived here (late November of 2007) it turned really cold. Marco was not used to the cold and snow, and he really did not like it outside at all, even though he was wearing 2 coats to keep him warm! He had to be walked each time he needed to potty. This lasted all winter, until all the snow melted in the spring. Inside, Marco hid inside of his crate, at the end of the hall, or on the corner of the couch for the first months. He got used to the other dogs and the cats right away, but kept to himself where we humans were concerned. He would only eat at night, when we were in bed. But, slowly, he started to trust us a bit more. He trusted my husband a lot sooner than he did me, because my husband was at home with him all the time. We could touch him all over his body without him trying to get away. He hid from any strangers though.

Then spring (2008) arrived here, and so did a new Marco. He went outside in the back yard to potty. He followed the lead of our two year old Greyhound and learned to run around, just for the fun of it, and to play. He now invites her to play with him, not the other way around. They run around the back yard together all the time now. Sometimes the nine year old Greyhound joins in the fun. They chase birds and squirrels out of the yard, and generally have a good time, and then lie down in the sun to sunbathe. Marco loves life now; he knows what it is like to be “just a pet dog”, not a hunter.

Marco has come a very long way in a year and a half. Although Marco is still wary of strangers, he will not crawl into a corner when someone comes over. He has learned how to play, he is reliving his puppyhood. Here is an example of the latter that happened. We had an errand to run and when we returned home the whole living room was covered with shreds of the new telephone books that had just been delivered. He had such a good time tearing up all that paper! We never hit him to discipline him, he had enough of that in Spain. While laughing inside, we asked him in a stern voice what he had done. He gave us the “I’m innocent” look! He will also play in the fresh snow that still falls here, so he is getting used to that also.

We love our Marco very much!

Welcome back! I'm sorry it's not on better terms, but I hope you find out what's going on with Jamey and that he'll feel better soon. Loved hearing about Marco and all that he's overcome........and, would love to see pictures of your crew!

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

If someone can tell me how yo make a nice little strip if pictures like I see here, I will try to post some pictures.

Welcome... back!

The strips you are referring to are the signatures? Either you can make it yourself through photoshop, just make sure they fit GTs specs or it will be pulled by the moderators or ask someone on GT to do it for you. Most people on GT who do it will ask you to make a donation to a GH group.

A perfect win win.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Since I could not find that post anymore, here is Marco's story:

Marco was captured near Seville, Spain in April of 2007. We have found out that he was used as a hunting dog there, and was actually a very good hunter. But he was not needed anymore, so people broke his hind leg by driving a motorbike over it, and set him loose. When he was finally captured, he was extremely skinny, and very, very scared of people. He was eventually moved to the Netherlands by an adoption group. He was on their website for about four months, but because he was so scared, he was always passed over by potential adopters.

My husband was in the Netherlands, saw his picture on that website and contacted the people saying that he would like to adopt Marco if he could go back with him to Canada. He explained that we already had two Greyhounds (at that time). Well, eventually the people let him adopt Marco and late in 2007 they boarded a plane and travelled home.

A few days after Marco arrived here (late November of 2007) it turned really cold. Marco was not used to the cold and snow, and he really did not like it outside at all, even though he was wearing 2 coats to keep him warm! He had to be walked each time he needed to potty. This lasted all winter, until all the snow melted in the spring. Inside, Marco hid inside of his crate, at the end of the hall, or on the corner of the couch for the first months. He got used to the other dogs and the cats right away, but kept to himself where we humans were concerned. He would only eat at night, when we were in bed. But, slowly, he started to trust us a bit more. He trusted my husband a lot sooner than he did me, because my husband was at home with him all the time. We could touch him all over his body without him trying to get away. He hid from any strangers though.

Then spring (2008) arrived here, and so did a new Marco. He went outside in the back yard to potty. He followed the lead of our two year old Greyhound and learned to run around, just for the fun of it, and to play. He now invites her to play with him, not the other way around. They run around the back yard together all the time now. Sometimes the nine year old Greyhound joins in the fun. They chase birds and squirrels out of the yard, and generally have a good time, and then lie down in the sun to sunbathe. Marco loves life now; he knows what it is like to be "just a pet dog", not a hunter.

Marco has come a very long way in a year and a half. Although Marco is still wary of strangers, he will not crawl into a corner when someone comes over. He has learned how to play, he is reliving his puppyhood. Here is an example of the latter that happened. We had an errand to run and when we returned home the whole living room was covered with shreds of the new telephone books that had just been delivered. He had such a good time tearing up all that paper! We never hit him to discipline him, he had enough of that in Spain. While laughing inside, we asked him in a stern voice what he had done. He gave us the "I'm innocent" look! He will also play in the fresh snow that still falls here, so he is getting used to that also.

We love our Marco very much!

What a story! Argos' story is a bit more hazy. I am so glad that Marco has such a wonderful, loving home. :)

Welcome... back!

The strips you are referring to are the signatures? Either you can make it yourself through photoshop, just make sure they fit GTs specs or it will be pulled by the moderators or ask someone on GT to do it for you. Most people on GT who do it will ask you to make a donation to a GH group.

A perfect win win.

Who would I ask to make a strip for me? I would gladly make a donation to an adoption group.

In the meantime is there a photo section?? I can post larger pictures.

Thanks!

Tin

What a story! Argos' story is a bit more hazy. I am so glad that Marco has such a wonderful, loving home. :)

Marco is quite a ham, really! He's discovered he can bark too!!!

Welcome back to GT! Sorry Jamey is having problems, I'm praying it isn't osteo.

Depending on your diagnosis, or if there is a problem getting a diagnosis - contact OSU's Greyhound Health and Wellness Program. They will give you or your vet free consults on retired racing greyhound issues. Dr Couto is a Godsend, and he is very much involved in Galgo rescue and goes to Scooby at least once a year with a team to do medical work. You can find the link for contact information at the bottom of my siggy

If you need any other help, send me an email at hopeforhounds @ casualbling . com (make sure to remove the spaces in the email address.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Welcome back to GT! Sorry Jamey is having problems, I'm praying it isn't osteo.

Depending on your diagnosis, or if there is a problem getting a diagnosis - contact OSU's Greyhound Health and Wellness Program. They will give you or your vet free consults on retired racing greyhound issues. Dr Couto is a Godsend, and he is very much involved in Galgo rescue and goes to Scooby at least once a year with a team to do medical work. You can find the link for contact information at the bottom of my siggy

If you need any other help, send me an email at hopeforhounds @ casualbling . com (make sure to remove the spaces in the email address.

Thank you for this advice, but I've already sent the X-rays to Dr. Couto's group, a couple of days ago and some more X-rays that were taken yesterday I emailed to them this morning. It's waiting for an answer that is so hard!! I showed the X-rays to a retired vet that works just down the hall from me, and in his opinion it is the start of osteo. He stressed though that he was a researcher and not a clinician.

I will definitely ley you know when I hear back from them.

Ok that did not work, I'll try again to post pictures.

Edited by mom2four

It worked! Here is "the zoo":

thezoo.jpg

BruteForcejan4-09-1-1.jpg

This is the new guy, Diego.

Edited by mom2four