Diatomaceous Earth?

Guest greytsox

I've used it to get rid of grubs in my yard.....this is interesting.

Karen with Tessye (galgo b 2017), Fidel (galgo b c2012), and bridge kids Dublin (J's Texmex 1996-12/31/01), Daisy (Assurance 8/8/95-9/26/07),  Bubba (Kelsos Irony b 5/99-8/19/10), and Mabel (Googly Spin  1/06-11/19)

greytalk-siggie-feb-2023.jpg

Guest snaphappy

I used it for ticks with no luck, but I was likely not as diligent with vaccuuming and replacing as you should be. I have read that it works very well if you stay on top of the problem.

I tried to use it with cockroaches in SC but they seemed to just hop over the lines of it that I laid down. Scientifically and theoretically, it should work, because it degrades the cuticle (outer skin covering) of the insects and that makes them dry up and die :blink:

Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

Umm .... Diatomaceous earth is not something that you or your pets should be inhaling in any quantity. Use the Frontline. It works.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytsox
Umm .... Diatomaceous earth is not something that you or your pets should be inhaling in any quantity. Use the Frontline. It works.

I would prefer not to put a pesticide on my dog.. DE does not harm humans or dogs if ingested. In fact I know of some people who eat it. Your right it should not be inhaled since that can cause harm.

Thanks for the input.

I would prefer not to put a pesticide on my dog.. DE does not harm humans or dogs if ingested. In fact I know of some people who eat it. Your right it should not be inhaled since that can cause harm.

Thanks for the input.

If you sprinkle it around, it's going to be inhaled. That can cause severe respiratory problems.

The amount of pesticide in Frontline and Advantage is miniscule, and it's pesticide that basically doesn't affect mammals; rather, it's designed for invertebrates -- bugs. The quantity one uses in keeping an infestation from developing is nothing compared to the pesticides and other meds you have to give if the dog does get tapeworms, tick disease, or flea allergy dermatitis, and nothing compared to what you have to use if you get a true house/yard infestation.

I personally think it's mean to risk a dog's health and comfort in the name of going "all natural."

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BlackandBrindle

We try to go natural for many things but we use frontline and heartguard for the pups.

We use DE outside to deter ants and bugs from getting in the house, but there is a warning about ingesting/inhaling it. Your dog is going to inhale and ingest if he walks thru it so frontline seems the better option.

Guest greytsox

Thanks for the input.

If you sprinkle it around, it's going to be inhaled. That can cause severe respiratory problems.

The amount of pesticide in Frontline and Advantage is miniscule, and it's pesticide that basically doesn't affect mammals; rather, it's designed for invertebrates -- bugs. The quantity one uses in keeping an infestation from developing is nothing compared to the pesticides and other meds you have to give if the dog does get tapeworms, tick disease, or flea allergy dermatitis, and nothing compared to what you have to use if you get a true house/yard infestation.

I personally think it's mean to risk a dog's health and comfort in the name of going "all natural."

Here's an article you might want to read. Miniscule or not pesticides are pesticides...

http://www.apnm.org/publications/resources/fleachemfin.pdf

Guest ss556

Last year I used the DE (not for pool filters) in my house and around my yard and it did not help the flea situation I had. Unfortunately, I had to use chemicals.

Guest greytsox
We try to go natural for many things but we use frontline and heartguard for the pups.

We use DE outside to deter ants and bugs from getting in the house, but there is a warning about ingesting/inhaling it. Your dog is going to inhale and ingest if he walks thru it so frontline seems the better option.

DE is used in grain storage all the time as well fed to cattle. Not sure why there would be a warning about ingesting unless it not Food Grade. Again it's perfectly safe for the dog to eat the DE, for example licking it off his paw. Once it's applied to the dog there shouldn't be risk of "stiring it up" and making dust. When applying you use gloves and a face mask. Cover the dogs head and don't apply near the face. Once its settled there shouldn't be dust due to apply such a thin layer, the layer should not even be seen on the pet.

It's a common misconsumption that you need to apply a large amount to get the full effect. The amount used should not be visible.

There is the same risk of inhalation of using baby powder and after shower talc.

You might get more useful information by reading something like this, even though it's older: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/tx980157t .

Guest JarBear

We use it on the yard and it seems to work pretty well. We use the food grade. It has to be re-applied after a rain so it can be a lot of work. My husband wears a mask when he puts it on to reduce the amount he breathes in. I've never noticed a dust kicking up after it has settled on the grass and plants so I don't worry about the dogs. I've had two dogs have reactions to Frontline and Advantage. I always keep Capstar on hand just in case and also because I foster and never know when one might come in with "creepy crawlies" but it usually expires and has to be thrown out.