Weight Gain

Guest mmehs

Guest mmehs

Greetings all,

I'm wondering how much weight your hound(s) gained, if any? B was 57 pounds when we brought her home (five months ago), and she was 65 at the vet today. Granted, she's wearing a splint, and has had little exercise for the last three weeks (broken toe), but I'm just not sure what she should weigh....

Thanks for your input!

Edited by mmehs

Beth's weight has fluctuated a bit in the eight months I've had her as I figure out the ins and outs of feeding her, but basically she's averaged about one pound above racing weight. I'm happy with that, as she looks muscular and gorgeous.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest greytbookert

all mine are about their race weight... but then again, I have oldies, so they are not "as" muscular as they used to be.

A general guideline is that you should be able to see the last 1-3 ribs and/or see the hip points. But not have either of them completely protruding.

I hope her toe heals up quickly!

Claire is at her race weight of 62lbs, Carl is about 75lbs, which is 3 lbs more than race weight.

FYI, we can't all use the same rule of thumb, so don't get freaked out. For example, if I went by hip points Carl would have to lose A LOT of weight and become a skeletor just for me to see them. On the other hand, right now you could literally count his vertebrae and see some ribbage. Claire is very very ribby, but you can't count her vertebrae like you can on Carl. Two very different bodies and these two are littermates!!! It's different for every dog.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

My Sam never raced. The Greyhound Racing and Breeding Database lists his weight as 64 pounds. When I got him (from his first foster home) nearly 7 years ago, he weighed 72. Right now, he weighs 64 pounds, and his weight stays within two pounds of that.

Jacey raced at 57 pounds. When I got my chunky monkey from the adoption group (3 years ago), she weighed 62(!) pounds. I got her weight back down, and it stayed about 57 until she started having health issues, at which time it went back up to more than 60 pounds. Once we got her meds adjusted properly, her weight started back down. Right now, she weighs about 54 pounds.

Both dogs look good at their present weights. Jacey's ribs don't show much, but you can find her hipbones without a problem and she looks...svelte. Sam's ribs tend to show a lot, but his hipbones don't jut out too much: I swear he just sucks in his sides so he can look pitiful. ;)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest kineticpoet

Draco gained about 1-2lbs. His race weight was 71lbs, now he's 72/73. As long as he looks healthy to me and has the same energy level I feel like he's doing well!

Each dog is different and it really is an individual thing.

Beau is close to racing weight.

Chloe is about 7 pounds above racing weight.

Teddy is 11 pounds above racing weight.

None of my dogs are overweight.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project