Dallas Is At The Vet

Guest trevdog

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest trevdog

We have no clue, the only thing we spray for is wasps, and there haven't been any in a long time, plus we don't let the dogs anywhere near the area for days after. We are both against using chemicals and don't spray anything anywhere, plus we are on a well and don't want the stuff going into the water. Even if we bug bomb the house, I keep the dogs out for the day and scrub everything they can get to from top to bottom. And I haven't done that in 6 months or more.....and she doesn't go in the garage where we keep the spray.

Only thing I can come up with is some weeds or we just got a new batch of longevity from Springtime, but she's had that before and Ossie is fine....

I think the liver does regenerate, you're right.....

Guest greytkidsmom

Glad she is feeling better. Hopefully the vet will have some more information for you based on the bloodwork. Liver enzymes can go up and down - maybe it is just a transient thing and nothing permanent.

Guest trevdog

Talked to DH, she ate dinner last night and some breakfast this morning. He made the mistake of trying to put the meds in her food, now she won't eat. She's really good at detecting meds in her food and is just now studying the food and not eating it, but did eat a biscuit for him. I told him to pick up some PB at the store for the pills and either make some rice and chicken to mix in with the kibble or get some canned food. She's on Tramadol and I think the tummy med was carfate, should he feed her some canned to help with the Tramadol taking? I've never had to give it before....

Canned sounds like a wonderful idea! Others here have had success with cream cheese, liverwurst, hot dogs and my personal favorite is Pill Pockets. I read somewhere, and Dallas' actions confirm, that the odor of the meds is what turns the houndies' stomachs off. So if you can handle the pills with tweezers and not your hands, you can form a meatball out of the canned or "whatever works", punch a hole, drop the pills in with the tweezers, seal it and go for it.

Good luck! IMHO: I would be skeptical about the dx................do you have a copy of the bloodwork? Are there plans to repeat? I can see where a vet would make an observation like "This condition is similar to what has been seen in cases where dogs have been exposed to .................", but with your squeaky clean house and yard, I would be demanding another explanation.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

wow! :( :( glad she's feeling better, but sure weird how the liver got damaged!

continuing to send prayers for your baby :hope :hope :hope

Dallas -- now you be a good girl and eat the yummies that mom and dad give you. That crunch in the middle is just an extra bonus! :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest TexasGreytMom

So glad that she's doing better! To give pills to our pups, we buy ready-made cheeseballs with bacon flavoing (in the deli section of the grocery store) and hide the pills in it. It works most of the time. When it doesn't we just have to manually give the pills, which DH absolutely hates to do - that's usually my job if the cheese doesn't work. LOL!

Isn't it frustrating when something happens and things get better, but you never really get a clear cause? That's happened with us before, and it's so frustrating because you certainly want to eliminate the cause or prevent a reoccurrence, but without knowing, you can't.

Hugs to you and your sweet girl!

Edited by TexasGreytMom

Guest trevdog

Tonight's update, I was talking to DH and I hear the duck quacking in the background, she loves her stuffie ducks...DH said she's been running around like her silly self all day, he thinks it was misdiagnosed. I'll call the vet on Monday to get the details, DH was saying tonight it was the liver values were high, so not sure how he got all that info to begin with....he sometimes doesn't pay close attention on the phone, so I'll call....at least she's taking her pills in the PB and eating some......

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am glad she's feeling better. Frank takes a few pills every day; what we do is get some soft bread and fold it over the pills and make a little package. He's really super good about getting his pills, he actually comes into the kitchen when I am getting my meds and waits for his... I hope that Dallas' liver values return to normal quickly!

Guest trevdog

cholangiohepatitis was the diagnosis. In addition to Tramadol, she is also on Flagyl and Denamarin for 30 days. If I had known what Denamarin was, I would have picked up some SAM-E instead......High white blood cell count and her liver value was at 134, normal should be 12-118. This is from the vet tech, vet is to call me tomorrow with more detail.

She seemed pretty normal last night, although still not too keen on eating all of her kibble today....

Edited by trevdog