Gastric Noises

Guest missecho

Guest missecho

Our Molly, who is a 4 year old recently retired racer, is doing great. However, this morning, she unexpectedly refused her breakfast, which she normally wolfs down. She went for a walk, and since she has returned, she is resting. Her stomach is making really loud gastric noises--and has been for the past half an hour. I mean loud! She has never made noise like this before--is this something normal for greys?

Yep, we get it here with Misty. I give her a Pepcid and that fixes the stomach upset within 1/2 an hour and she's willing to eat

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest tumeria33

Thanks for this post! We have only had Isis for 9 weeks now. She has never had this happen but now if it does, I won't panic! Being a new mom, I get over worried. I would be afraid it was bloat or something like it.

Hi Again! Just did some research on borborygmous. One vet on the web suggested adding a couple of tablespoons of pure canned pumpkin to her food. The increased fiber will speed your greyhounds digestion and reduce the amount of gas that builds up. Pumpkin is also a great way to firm up loose stools. Isis gets her pumpkin with every meal and she really likes it.

OH boy do we have experience with that.

Give her a pedcid to settle her tummy. By dinner, hopefully she should be oK. If not, I would take her in tomorrow, she may have a gastro bug.

If this continues, I'd be happy to share our experience.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I wonder if there's something going around (all over the place it seems) - my old boy refused his dinner Wednesday night (not overly unusual) & woke me up at 1:30 am with the loudest belly gurgling I've ever heard. :blink: We went for a walk & he pooped OK but the noise continued. I expected to be up every hour with him but it did subside. Apparently he had an insatiable appetite for grass that day my dogwalker said. He was fine by the next morning. :dunno

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest taylorsmom

This is weird. We have had Rita now for almost 3 years and I have definitely noticed a pattern--every year at around this time she gets the early morning stomach gurgles (really loud--it sounds like my cats are fighting!!) and an insatiable appetite for the new grass that is starting to grow. She has no problem with her appetite, though, and eating actually gets the noise to settle down. I never heard the technical term though--thanks for that!!

Guest widowcali
Thanks for this post! We have only had Isis for 9 weeks now. She has never had this happen but now if it does, I won't panic! Being a new mom, I get over worried. I would be afraid it was bloat or something like it.

Hi Again! Just did some research on borborygmous. One vet on the web suggested adding a couple of tablespoons of pure canned pumpkin to her food. The increased fiber will speed your greyhounds digestion and reduce the amount of gas that builds up. Pumpkin is also a great way to firm up loose stools. Isis gets her pumpkin with every meal and she really likes it.

Trust me. We all know about pumpkin here. It is on the shopping list every week, and on the travel list. Widow is a major tummy rumbler, and she has loose stool issues.

If you still have gas and noise issues, along with loose stools, try some plain or vanilla flavored yoghurt in her food for a few days. The acedophilis also helps with gas and tummy ickyness.

That gurgling stomach can also indicate worms - especially in a recently retired racer. When was she last dewormed? You might just want to have her checked for hook worms.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

As always, glad to know it's not something unique to Rocket. We've recently switched foods and I thought maybe he was hungry because the gurgling usually stops after he eats. But we have also been having the early morning grass nibble. . . .

Guest TexasGreytMom

I'm going to try the pumpkin for our Dora - sometimes, her stomach noises are so loud that she wakes us at night. Thanks for the tip!

I'm going to try the pumpkin for our Dora - sometimes, her stomach noises are so loud that she wakes us at night. Thanks for the tip!

Guest CDNgreys

We usually have this happen in the early morning as well. I let them outside to find the grass they want.

2 of my boys will look at their tummies and tilt their heads. Too funny!

Guest greytexplorer
We usually have this happen in the early morning as well. I let them outside to find the grass they want.

2 of my boys will look at their tummies and tilt their heads. Too funny!

:lol that IS funneh!!! and you know it just feels like the willys scramblin' around in there! :lol

This is so weird because after a walk yesterday afternoon, I decided I needed a nap, so I go upstairs, get on my bed, both gyrls come with me and lie on the floor beside my bed.

And then it started. In Stereo :blink:

They are dead asleep, I was almost asleep.

Never did get that nap I wanted. :(

oh, and neither of my gyrls like yogurt OR pumpkin :(

Guest sheila

totally off topic but when I saw the topic title and saw that it was posted by 'missecho' I almost spooted.

I could just imagine the gurgling sounding like an echo......