How Often To Dremel Nails

Guest wjamg

Guest wjamg

I bought one of those gadgets to file Peace's nails and she doesn't seem to mind too much...well, she knows she gets a treat afterwards. I have been filing every other weekend for short amounts of time. I just wondered how often others file their hounds nails. Peace's nails are mostly dark and its hard to see the quick.

Guest KennelMom

Every two weeks here/when they need it. Sometimes I get busy and their nails grow out a bit...when that happens, I just dremel them every week or so until they get back to a length I like.

Guest LindsaySF

Depends on the dog and how fast their nails grow. Every week for Cody, every 2-3 weeks for my others.

If you are just starting out and the quicks are very long, try doing a little once a week until they recede.

When the dog is walking ordinarily (rather than running or jumping around) and you can hear the nails click, it's time to Dremel. Under normal conditions, a dog's pads should hit the ground when he walks--not his nails.

I have friends who Dremel their dogs' nails just a bit every week. I tend to let my guys go longer--a month or so--but I grind off a lot the first time I hear nails clicking as we walk. My guys are quite tolerant of the grinding. If they were less tolerant, I'd do it more often and for shorter periods. But Sam actually lies on the sofa and sticks his feet out for me. :)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest BillNY914

I dremmel Ben about every two weeks. He doesn't seem to like it... acts like I'm about to neuter him all over again. After he growled and snapped at me with the clippers I went to grinding. Funny thing, when I take him to PetSmart to get it done, he acts like it's nothing, and the last time he even licked the groomer's hand. Go figure. (since it does take two people for me to do him, I don't always have the available extra hand or the where with all to do it, so I take him to PS). His nails are black and hard to determine the quick.

Guest Cris_M
I use this Tutorial for using a Dremel for nails. I have found it very informative and useful for all of our canine family members.

This is positively the BEST tutorial ever! I used it with Duncan, and now he just pops into his bed and hangs his nails over the side to get dremeled.

When we were training, I dremeled every day. Didn't grind a lot of nail but lots of treats were given.

Now, I manage to do it when I remember or when I see the special Dremel treat bag.

Guest LindsaySF
We always do it right before play day or lure coursing.

Be careful with doing it too close to a lure coursing day. I once dremeled Teagan's nails a day or two before a LGRA meet and he quicked himself while running and bled all over the place. :rolleyes: You want to have a little extra cushion in the nail because if the quick is too close to the surface it could bleed after they run around on it.

It also depends on their habbits and where you walk them. Patrick kicks tremendously after taking care of business, and since we walk quite a bit on sidewalks, we almost never have to do his nails, except his dew claws.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Obviously it depends who you ask! I think there are an awful lot of dogs with very overgrown toenails!

I do George's nails weekly. It takes less time if you do it more often!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

It also depends on their habbits and where you walk them. Patrick kicks tremendously after taking care of business, and since we walk quite a bit on sidewalks, we almost never have to do his nails, except his dew claws.

I miss sidewalks :lol

We could go at least a month, usually longer with Jet and Ryan when we had sidewalks and pavement to walk on. Gravel just isn't the same.

Guest Jolie
I use this Tutorial for using a Dremel for nails. I have found it very informative and useful for all of our canine family members.

THANK YOU!

I just bought a dremel to use on Ozzy and I was not having much luck with it.

Right now we use it every other day, just while he's getting used to it. He doesn't like it much, but I can dremel each nail a tiny bit. Ideally, I'll go to every-other-week once they are the desired length.

Guest maggiemay

That tutorial looks perfect! I am planning to get a dremel but didn't know where to start.

Once again GT saves the day :)