Eye Boogies? Or Possible Infection?

Guest UESBrindle

Guest UESBrindle

Since we brought William home (2 months and 1 day ago, but who's counting!?) DBF has been cleaning out "eye boogies" out of the inside corners of his eyes. It's usually just clear, and I would chalk it up the the equivilent of human eye boogies we get when we wake up from sleeping. But when I took a look at him yesterday it looked more like mucus, and he said this morning it seems to be white with a tinge of yellow.

I know anything coming out thats yellow and green for humans is a signal for infection, but since William is our first dog, does the same apply to them too?

I want to know if we need to make an appointment with the vet, or if there's anything we can try at home that could help.

...and if we do take him to the vet, but he doesn't have eye boogies when we bring him, will they think we're crazy? Should we "save" them somehow to bring in?

Do other greyhounds tend to have the clear boogies? Since they can't cry, we just figured its how they get stuff out, but we're ner, so anyt thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Guest StriderDog

The eye boogies in my house are normally dark and crusty. I'm sure you can call your vet and ask a tech over the phone whether the boogies you're seeing are normal.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

We have both kinds of eye boogies here. Some are hard and crusty on the edge of the eye and then some are the big soft goopy eye boogies. But normally always clear.

Sometimes Augie will get a slightly odd color eye boogie but not all that often.

I guess if it was me I wouldn't worry to much unless my hound was showing signs of his eye bothering him or the eyes were getting really weepy, squinting, third eyelid coming out more than it should. Things like that

Guest UESBrindle

Well, this being our first dog, his teeth seem pretty grose. For his well-dog exam Feb. 20, the vet said it looked like he had a lot of tartar, but the adoption agency said they had his teeth cleaned when they neutered him (which woudl have been towards the end of January). He has a lot of brown stuff on them (some lighter, some darker), but we brush them every night before bed time,although nothing ever seems to come off..., and he hasn't given me any sign that his teeth are bothering him.

What is a third eyelid? I don't know what that would be, much less look like--

The only time my grey has had significant eye boogies was when she got conjunctivitis. Her eye was also clearly inflamed. A simple course of eye drops cleared it right up. But if William were my dog I'd take him to the vet -- to me, the price of a vet visit is well worth the peace of mind knowing for sure what's going on and getting the best treatment if any is needed (admittedly I'm a nervous new dog mom and a worrier by nature, and really like my vet!).

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest StriderDog

The third eyelid is located in the inside corner of your pup's eye:

20220174.JPG

I think your pups sounds fine, but it would never hurt to have the vet tell you that. :)

You might want to consider getting a book like THIS ONE to keep at home, especially since you're first-timers! It'll be second nature soon enough, but even I refer to mine from time to time and I've had dogs all my life!

Guest UESBrindle

Great- thanks for all of the info everyone!

I think at this point I'll keep a close eye (no pun intended!) on it and see if anything else comes up.

I'll also look for that book- certainly something handy to keep up our sleves for the next time we have a question.

Thanks!

Elizabeth

I know when our boy Chase gets eye boogies it seems to coincide with his allergies bugging him. His skin gets pink and itchy in places at the same time. Benedryl seems to help.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest nerak254

Aruba has big ones every day and Missy never gets them. I would have thought they both would get them or not because they are littermates

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

One thing that can help with the tartar other than brushing is raw bones. Either go to a butcher and ask for beef femurs, knuckles, or ask for goose, duck or chicken necks. When they grind on the bones, it really cleans their teeth.

Guest UESBrindle

Would I need to worry at all about the bone breaking into pieces or splintering? I'm actually planning on heading to the butcher today, so I'll ask!

He likes his rawhide bone, and will chomp on it for a bit, but he doesn't go nuts for it.

Thanks for the advice!

When Perry was a puppy, she had a lot of eye trouble. The rule of thumb the vet gave me is that grey or brown gunk is OK, white or yellow indicates an infection. I'd be inclined to get to the vet for drops.

As for the bones: raw bones don't splinter. Don't feed cooked bones.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Cris_M
Would I need to worry at all about the bone breaking into pieces or splintering? I'm actually planning on heading to the butcher today, so I'll ask!

He likes his rawhide bone, and will chomp on it for a bit, but he doesn't go nuts for it.

Thanks for the advice!

The bones can break into pieces or splinter. If they are raw, they are still soft though they may not look that way.

A more important question would be "What kind of chewer is my dog?". A heavy chewer that will keep going and going at a bone could chip a tooth. A gentler chewer works on a bone for a bit, but stops when he gets tired or the easier stuff comes off.

I would suggest ribs -- either pork or beef. Ribs don't carry weight so they are softer than leg bones. Also, giving two or three that are still connected makes a lot of work for a dog. All those sinewy things are excellent flossers.

Guest UESBrindle

I think we'll be taking William to the vet after all. When I got home, I checked his eyes, and his left eye (with the goop coming out) was considerably more red than the right.

Thank you everyone who let me know what to look out for-- fingers crossed just a few drops will fix it!

Elizabeth

Guest UESBrindle

It turns out it was in fact conjunctivitis so we will be doing a saline rinse and ointment regime 2x/day for a week. So glad we got it checked out!

(And a special thanks to Carron for the great Dr. Andy!-- Rob said he was great!)

Oh no! Vet visits are no fun for humans or hounds. Glad to hear it's something easily fixable and also glad to hear you found a great vet.

Hope it clears up quickly for William! Extra liver brownies help, at least that's what G + F tell me. :D

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I love Dr. Andy. He is really wonderful. I'm sure he loved William!!!!

He used to have ridgebacks (he had a great one named Lucy before he became a vet, when he lived in my building) and he did a lot of work with sighthounds at Animal Medical Center. It is really a secure feeling to know that your vet knows houndie needs.

I'm so glad that he was able to help William!