Need Advice About Blood Test

Guest grey_dreams

Guest grey_dreams

I want to get Zuki's thyroid tested, as well as a routine blood analysis and general physical evaluation. He is mostly fine, but somehow something seems "a bit off" to me (even more lethargic than usual, easily gains weight, fears). I just would feel better to get a complete work up. Should he be fasted for these blood tests? If yes, then how many hours should he be fasting before the blood draw?

Also going to have them do a fecal and urine analysis.

I went to ask about the blood test yesterday but the vet couldn't see me. The receptionist said he didn't have to be fasted for a thyroid test. So I wanted to check with you.

Receptionist said they won't do a tick panel unless he seems sick. "A bit off" isn't enough.

Any other kinds of routine tests that I should have them run for a dog that's "a bit off"?

Thanks very much in advance! :)

Thane is getting his thyroid tested tomorrow. I too asked about fasting/non-fasting. Since he is not on any thyroid medication my vet said he is to be fasting but can have water. There is a different protocol if the dog is already on thyroid meds.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

If you are going to have the blood work done, then it's better if it is fasting. In this case, nothing to eat after dinner the night previous to the tests. Fasting would be better for tests like glucose and cholesterol.

On the urine, get a sample of the first catch of the day (try and get the middle part rather than the beginning or end). This helps for tests like the protein, glucose, specific gravity as this is the most concentrated urine of the day. Make sure that your pet does not drink water from midnight on (they shouldn't urinate after that time either). They can drink after you get the urine sample in the morning.

Make sure that you tell the vet how you got the sample and how long they fasted because this can impact how they interpret the results.