Chronic Renal Failure (non Grey)

Sammie the Mutt has been urinating in house quite a bit lately and seems to be drinking excessively so I had a urine analysis done. Yesterday the vet called and said that her urine is very diluted so renal failure is suspected. Blood was drawn last night and we expect the results back today.

I did some research on the Internet today and see that the BUN and creatine levels are very important. I will ask the vet for those numbers; what else should I ask?

Sammie is at least 11 or 12 years old; I adopted her 9 years ago. She is probably part basenji which is listed as one of the breeds susceptible to renal failure. So far her appetite is still voracious and she has the same energy as always. I want her to continue to have a good quality of life and am hoping we caught this relatively early although I know it is a progressive disease.

Guest ss556

Depending on the results of the blood/urine - ask if SubQ fluids are a good idea and you can ask about her diet. The BUN and creatinine are important numbers for this. See what the numbers are and what your vet says first. Sending prayers.

Hopefully it's a UTI? They don't have much of an appetite if they are in renal failure.

Sending prayers!

No, the urine analysis ruled out a UTI. The vet said there wasn't any infection, or crystals or diabetes. The diluted nature of the urine leads her to suspect renal failure. We expect the blood results today to confirm that. We are hoping we caught it early, which is why her appetite is still good.

In addition to getting the values of bun and creat in the blood, you might want to find out if the urine had protein and how much. You mentioned that the urine was not getting concentrated - did they have a first morning specimen? Sometimes urine samples from the middle of the day might be dilute so it could be worthwhile getting another first morning catch.

If it is conclusive that it is kidney issues, you probably want to discuss diet changes with the vet such as moving to a K/D type of diet or formulating your own with less protein but, high-quality protein. You might want to get "protein stix" for the urine. This allows you to check every few days how much protein is being passed into the first catch urine. I have used these to adjust diets to have less/more protein.

Also, talk to your vet about the "latest" procedures for kidney issues. Years ago they didn't do dialysis for dogs, maybe it's changed recently ...