Rimadyl Questions

Guest ProudGreyMom

Guest ProudGreyMom

I have a few questions about pain meds for Jake and am thinking of asking the vet about Rimadyl. Jake is 10 and 1/2 and I can tell that his arthritis/joint pain is getting bad at times. He is especially sore and stiff if its raining or if we have to get in and out of the truck a few times.

We are taking all the dogs to VT in May and I want Jake to be comfortable and enjoy his trip. Will the Rimadyl make him loopy? Or does someone have another med they recommend?

Right now he takes daily glucosamine/chondroitin and I give him Bufferin if he seems in pain.

Thank you.

Oh, and there is a Rimadyl coupon at this site if anyone needs it: http://www.rimadyl.com/display.asp?country...=CN&sec=000

I've had several of mine on Rimadyl and one on Metacam. Wayne is on Rimadyl now and has been for almost 2 years. I've never seen it make any of them loopy at all.

But it sure does help with arthritis. We do a Rimadyl profile every 6 months just to be sure his liver and kidneys are okay.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I prefer rimadyl for Sparks but was given a script for tramadol. I don't think it works as well. I can give Sparks 1/2 a rimadyl and can see he's feeling better right away. Bummer for Sparks, I ran out of rimadyl so he's been getting the tramadol.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest KennelMom

I've never seen a dog get loopy from rimadyl. Ours have always tolerated it quite well and it's really helped with senior arthritis.

Guest ProudGreyMom

Thank you! I will talk to the vet when Jake goes for his check up in April. I always like to get opinions and ideas from GT too :)

I've never seen a dog get loopy from rimadyl. Ours have always tolerated it quite well and it's really helped with senior arthritis.

Agreed. It has been a godsend for many of our hounds.

Deramax, on the other hand, is lethal in my opinion. One dose of it and our Annie went into kidney failure and died quickly thereafter. I would stay away from that.

Jackie with Tangerine and Chimes

Always missing Gracie, Steely, Annie, Payne, Twilite, Janey Bug, Bindi, Sophie, and Dazzle

Well, you know what my opinion is :)

Which glucosamin/chondroitin are you using? How much?

Imo, 10 1/2 is very young to be started on NSAIDs.

FYI : since Eliza's death, I have not used NSAIDs--I've found other alternatives.

edited to add: if you are going to use a NSAID: make sure you do a baseline blood test, then one in two weeks, then one in four weeks. Get a product insert and understand the possible side affects. For instance, some vets still do not know that rimadyl can cause kidney issues, they only know about liver. Monitor platelets in addition to liver and kidney function in the follow up blood tests.

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest ProudGreyMom

Diane, Jake takes a tablet (chewable) with his meal everyday. The whole tablet is based on his weight.

Jake has always had hip troubles because he was pretty much left in a crate before rescue and stands in a crouched pose. He started having pain issues a few years ago.

He has bloodwork done regularly because of his other meds. I will have a long chat with the vet, she is good about discussing other alternatives as well.

Guest MyCody

Cody, 13 has been taking Rimadyl and tramadol for over a year every day and no side effects and he's doing well on them. OUr vet thinks they work best together rather than one or the other. Cody has disc problems.

Guest argolola

Poor Jake! I hope he feels good on his trip.

Lola has been on Rimadyl several times, once for about 6 months, and it did wonders for her limp. She never had any side effects.

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

My 10 year old Jesse takes Rimadyl as needed which is about twice a month. There are some days his rear end is very stiff and sometimes he limps on a rear leg. The vet said Arthritis and gave him the meds. Within 1 hour of taking the meds he is hardly limping at all. with 2 days of meds he is running again. The only thing I noticed is he does sometimes end up with his tongue hanging out of his mouth so he looks loopy. Never had a negative reaction though. I sometimes think he limps to get the cheese that goes with the pill. LOL

Guest BLIsStillFlying

I've been told Deramaxx is easier on the kidney/liver than Rimadyl--my 10 year old takes half a tablet once every week or two depending on the weather or if he's been running a lot. Also, if you've not tried it, Canine Liquid Health is amazingly good for arthritis pain and it's just glucosamine and supplements. Miraculous results with every one I know who has tried it.

(though, Dermaxx does make him rather 'happy', but I honestly think it's because he feels better)

My Cali takes rimadyl and has for over a year. She's 14 and tolorates it VERY well. It has never made her loopy. If not for the rimadyl, she would be at the bridge since she probably wouldn't be walking any more.

I refused to give rimadyl to my dogs for a long time and I deeply regret doing that as I think I caused them some discomfort by using less effective drugs for their pain, usually from dental surgery or other small surgeries.

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

Sally (14 yrs) has been on Rimadyl and Tramadol for over a year now. Yes, I know that both of these drugs can harm the liver and kidneys over a long period of time. But at her age, the benefits outweigh the side effects.

:gh_lay

Guest suzye
I've been told Deramaxx is easier on the kidney/liver than Rimadyl--my 10 year old takes half a tablet once every week or two depending on the weather or if he's been running a lot.

It depends on the dog. One dog may be sensitive to Rimadyl and another to Deramaxx. Jazz took Metacam, another NSAID, a few years before, but went into chronic kidney failure after a few doses of Deramaxx. Safer my behind!!! These drugs scare the he** out of me. I don't ever want to use one again, but know that I probably will, in the right situation, and then be worried sick.... Many dogs are just fine on these drugs, but you never know. BE VIGILANT. Watch your dog. At the slightest sign of odd behavior, STOP giving it.

Guest ProudGreyMom

Poor Jake is so bad today, he was just standing in the kitchen and wouldn't lay down. I have to make his appt soon.

The NSAIDs are all about the same in terms of pros and cons. Boils down to which one works without evil side effects for which dog. If you're going to use long term, know the side effects, do your bloodwork, and stop at the first sign of trouble.

FWIW, we had a non-greyhound on one of the old, bad NSAIDs -- butazolidin -- for years with no problems.

I've used Rimadyl and Deramaxx and never had a problem but also never used long term.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.