Osteosarcoma

Guest anka

I don't want to add to all the distress you must be feeling but your vet is putting you in a difficult position. Tramadol will NOT sedate Ricky - it will ease some of his pain. If metacam stops working, it's because the pain is too great & substituting deramaxx will not help. Plus you will have to stop the metacam for a minimum of 72 hours before you can start another NSAID.

Please please talk to another vet. Your's is woefully behind the times when it comes to pain control. Woefully. :(

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The combination of an NSAID and narcotic seems to work better for OS than just an NSAID alone. Thus the recommendation of tramadol + the meloxicam or Deramaxx. :) Suggest you also join the Circle of Grey for additional support and advice. Sending more prayers and light to your precious Ricky. :hope:heart

Edited by iluvgreys

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest jettcricket
From OSU website:

Pain control is essential in dogs where surgery is not an option; we have used either NSAIDs (carprofen, deracoxib, meloxicam) at recommended doses, or bisphosphonates such as alendronate (Fosamax®), at a dose of 10 mg/dog once a day or pamidronate (Aredia®), at a dose of 1 mg/kg, IV as a 30-minute CRI, every 3 to 6 weeks. Drugs such as tramadol (Ultram) at dosages of 1-2 mg/kg, PO, q8-12h may also be beneficial.

My Cricket was also diagnosed with bone cancer....she was given Tramadol, Rimadyl and also Pamidronate infusions. It kept her comfortable for almost 9 1/2 months.

She was a fighter...I miss her dearly. :(

I'm so sorry that you are going thru this. My heart goes out to and your baby.

Guest ChasesMum

Yup, even in Canada you can get it at human pharmacies! I am in Alberta and we just had the vet call it in and got it filled at the compounding pharmacy here in Edmonton.

Telling you he can eventually give narcotics is decent, at least he is willing but you may need to push. When George was first diagnosed, he was on codeine, metacam and they added a fentanyl patch the days before his amp.. all those thing your vet should have on hand! The tramadol was added after surgery because the codeine and fentanyl were not cutting it at all. THe Tramadol REALLY helped, and it wasnt sedating at all (except when he was getting better post surgery and the dosage was too high, had to lower it and he was fantastic!) You wouldnt want to sedate him anyways becasue it will make him woozy and unstable and MORE likely to injure himself badly!

You are Ricky's only voice. You know him better than anyone else! Please follow the advice given and push for what you feel is right.