Neuter For A Puppy

Guest sheila

Guest sheila

I'm not an expert on anything. I have a friend with a (non-grey) puppy and his vet is recommending that the pup get neutered at 6 mos of age. I've always thought that a dog should be fully matured before such a procedure. Is this correct?

I'm not an expert on anything. I have a friend with a (non-grey) puppy and his vet is recommending that the pup get neutered at 6 mos of age. I've always thought that a dog should be fully matured before such a procedure. Is this correct?

The vet is correct (and IS an expert!)!

They used to believe a dog should reach maturity before it was neutered; they no longer believe that.

I had my mixed breed puppy neutered when he was 5 months old because I wanted him to NOT have his boy hormones cooking. The beautiful thing was he never started lifting his leg!

And contrary to my father's very old school attitude, it didn't make him a "wimp" or otherwise negatively effect him.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest merril

Lots of good reasons to wait until your dog is fully matured. Here is a little light reading.

Chris Zinc article....

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

The Question Of Neutering and at what age

http://www.littleriverlabs.com/neuter.htm

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHea...euterInDogs.pdf

Spay, Neuter, and Cancer: Revisiting and Old Trinity

http://www.mmilani.com/commentary-200509.html

Guest Greensleeves

The medical benefits of waiting are weighed against the primary reasons we *do* neuter our pets: to prevent unwanted litters (which is why shelters neuter puppies as young as 8 weeks). Even responsible families can have things go awry, and waiting increases the chances of that happening.

We're neutering our greyhound "pup" when she reaches 59 weeks, the age when the growth plates are closed -- in a greyhound at least. She has three weeks to go. :)

We've done them at 6 and 9 months. The older they are when neutered, the less gangly-looking they seem to be when they're adult.

Guest LynnM

For a very long-boned breed, or one entering a performance career, I prefer to wait until the dog is completely mature, not just finished growing *up* but also filled out. That's just my preference.

For a pet, any time beyond 8 weeks/2lbs is just fine.

Lynn

Guest koolaidnconner

Volunteering at the clinic I have heard this quite a bit.

It is around 6 months as long as the baby teeth are gone. Once the baby teeth have come out they are good to go.

For a very long-boned breed, or one entering a performance career, I prefer to wait until the dog is completely mature, not just finished growing *up* but also filled out. That's just my preference.

For a pet, any time beyond 8 weeks/2lbs is just fine.

Lynn

:nod We did early age spay/neuter at the shelter I worked at. Once they were 7-8 weeks old they had surgery. Very short surgery time, tiny incisions (2 stitches at best), very little recovery time (several hours later they're good as gold). They don't have to be fasted before surgery either.

If I ever had a puppy, that's what I'd do. Some vets aren't familiar/aren't comfortable using the tiny instruments required, so they prefer to wait until the pup is older. I've heard some vets use 3 months as a standard, I really personally think 6 months for a pet is far too long to wait. Some females have their first heat by then! (It's rare but it does happen). I've always been told it's best to have a female spayed before her first heat, but I don't know if that holds any water or not.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Fenway has his manhood "altered" when he was about three months old. They needed to get the surgery done before he was adopted out. If I had been allowed to take him while intact, I would have had him neutered between 6-9 months old.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest snaphappy

Thank you so much for this information! I haven't read through all of it yet, but this article alone has a lot of thought provoking information. The decision doesn't seem as clear cut for females due to additional issues, but for males, it seems to be a no-brainer to wait until after they turn 1. The reduced risk of osteosarcoma alone is worth the wait. The question, of course, is will local laws allow someone to wait.

I think it is one of those things where you will get a different answer everywhere/anyone you ask. Kinda like the vaccines. I had all the pups here altered at the 6 month birthday. Max does not life his leg to this day and I am really happy about that: as I have two markers anyway. The girls, Kala and Jax both look like normal Greyhounds to me. Kala is a danty little thing, Jax is a big girl.

I am of the "school of thought" that the sooner the better. But like you I am not an expert.

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com