What To Do?

Guest BlackandBrindle

Guest BlackandBrindle

Ok, I just spoke to the vet. We've got Sadie on denamarin (425 mg) once daily.

Buying from the vet it was over $80 for a month's supply. He said he'd write me a prescription to find it cheaper elsewhere.

I asked him if we put her on a SamE and Milk thistle supplement (vitamins that you can find virtually anywhere) if that would have the same effect. He said it would not because they are not veterinary formulated.

I don't know that I believe that.

I have an innate distrust of vets, meaning I don't take them at face value 100% of the time. I had bad experiences with Spud's first vet that have made me very cautious. I also don't want to continue to change vets though.

So far our vet hasn't steered us wrong, although his bedside manner is a little lacking.

Is there any way to know, other than switching her to the over the counters if that's true or not?

His opinion seems to be that of the company in their literature:

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products/anima...namarin_faq.asp

Are other brands the equivalent to Denamarin?

While other S-Adenosylmethionine and silybin products for humans are available individually in health food stores and over-the-counter in pharmacies, there can be a significant variance in product quality and tablet strengths. Denamarin’s active ingredients individually have been shown to be safe and effective for both dogs and cats in published research studies and have been combined in a single easy-to-administer tablet. Denamarin also contains a specific silybin shown to provide better bioavailability in dogs compared to the standardized milk thistle commonly available in health food stores and over-the-counter in pharmacies.

Since one of the actives in Denamarin is SAMe and that is made from methionine, should I give my pet methionine?

Administration of methionine is not recommended. Providing high levels of methionine to pets with liver compromise may not increase the production of natural SAMe and has been shown in some cases to increase liver damage.

I'm just not that familiar with the product; is it prescription-only, or...?

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest KennelMom

If my vet is willing to give me the RX so I can buy it elsewhere (and thus, he gets no more financial benefit) and he is STILL saying that's his best recommendation over alternatives, I'd probably stick with what he recommended, assuming finances weren't a major issue.

Now, if he were saying he wouldn't give me the script, forcing me to keep spending the $80/month with him AND he wouldn't recommend using the OTC stuff, then I might be looking for another vet or a second opinion.

Do you have any local vets who practice both traditional and homeopathic medicine? It might be worth checking out. I just did a quick Google search and found:

Companion Animal Clinic

Barbara Truex DVM

As you well know, you'd have to screen them to see if they have any experience with greyhounds.

I used to use two vets, one traditional and less expensive, one who practices traditional and homeopathic medicine and charges a lot more per office visit. I've found that the homeopathic vet may have a more expensive office visit, but she charges me her rate on meds and labs, no mark ups. She's also vastly superior to any other vet I've ever gone to.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014