Need Thoughts About What I Might Do To Help Beau

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That back left leg doesn't look like it's hip related at all. While yes there is not much movement in the hip area, it does seem like he is taking pretty decent stride with that leg. The issue is when he's touching it down and the position of the lower leg like others have said.

I'm thinking it's more in what you might call the knee area or even hock possible. The leg set from knee down to foot just seems all wrong.

So what does that say to me? Ligaments, tendons, maybe muscle, something along those lines.

But you say he has been off on his left side even before the toe injury?

There's just so much going on I'm finding it hard to stay on top of it all so I'm sorry for the questions :blush

When the vet checked him Wednesday, she confirned it was the left side of the hip. He did have a knee issue- where it popped out - it was the right side.

Did you read what OSU said about the x-rays on the rigth side back in July? This was happenening exactly the same way on the right side. Now, it's the left.

It started before the toe incident after we stopped the acupunture. We stopped the acupunture becasue he as recoperating from the open abdominal surgery. He has resumed acupunture 2 times. Next appointment Tues.

When the time remaining on that first video is between :20 and :10, you can see how he's compensating for that left rear leg by the tail swinging to the left, but barely to the right, with each stride. It deviates from the midline much more to the left than to the right.

Does he prefer sleeping on one side over the other? Is there a chance he's just lying on one side for so long that one leg or the other is going to sleep?

No, he swtiches sides depending on which bed he is on. If I had to say which side he is on more, it's his right side. Leaving the left side exposed and I am able to get the compresses on that way.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

OK my thoughts are that some how all of this is related. How I don't know but with this much soft tissue injuries and such going on in so many different areas it seems like it should point to something.

What that something is I have no idea but seems it all has a base root to "something"

Sorry I can't be of more help

Guest myjazzy

Robin, I have arthritis and when I sit or lie down for too long, I get really stiff. It's the old paradox of it hurts to move, but you have to move to feel better. I'm thinking that his immobility is making things worse. I highly recommend you keep trying to make him go for his walkies, even if you have to force him. Also, after the cast is off his leg, and the depression has lifted some, even though it might stress him, he really needs to go into a pool and swim. It will do him a world of good, because it will allow him to exercise the muscles of his legs, which may be a bit atrophied, without putting any pressure on his joints. Have you spoken to the vet about maybe some medication for depression? He doesn't have to be on it long term, just long enough to get over the funk he's in right now.

The suggestion to have him tested for LS or TBDs, I think is a good one. It could very well be one of those.

If the accupuncture has helped in the past, maybe you could start that back weekly until he's doing better and then taper down.

This is me just throwing things out there in my problem solving mode, because of his many issues some of this may not be possible.

All my best to Beau Beau. :kiss2 And hugs to you and DH. :grouphug

Might want an orthopedist to look at that first video.

As others above noted, what's going on with that left leg isn't -- or isn't only -- the hip. Hip looks fine, so far as one can tell. Knee down, not so fine.

First thing to do is get your DH to hold his head or muzzle so he doesn't snap. Then get a flashlight and a magnifying glass and go over that left rear foot as if you'd lost your contact lens there. In between the toes, all the way up. Look and feel. In between the pads underneath. Part the hair at each nailbed. Grasp each toe and wiggle from side to side at the lower joint. Close look at all parts of each pad. Run your finger and then fingernail over each pad, too -- feeling for any areas of the pad that feel different. You might not find anything, but probably 999 times out of 1000, oddities in gait start in the foot. Plus it's cheap, fast, and easy. Doesn't hurt if the vet does it, but vets miss things. Do it yourself too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Which leg did he have the Achilles tendon surgery on? Does he have any hardware left in his leg from that operation? Hopefully he will feel a bit happier once the bandage is off his front foot.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Guest Pipi5
This just sounds heartbreaking! It really does sound like he is deeply depressed, I don't know if there are meds that can help dogs in this situation like there are for people. If he is missing Polli, would it help to let him have something that smelled like her? I hope someone can come up with some better ideas!

I agree with Jan...what has your vet said about this? I would definitly be in contact with them to see if there is anything that can be done.

Cast comes off tomorrow. We will see her then.

It's hard to believe this is Beau- it's been almost 2 weeks since he has gotten up to do anything including pee, eat, etc. The only thing he will do is move from one position to another although, not very frequently.

To get him to go out is a major production and he will eat sitting up in the bed he was laying in.

Pathetic.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project