Arthritis Question

Julio started limping about two weeks ago. The vet says it's arthritis in his FL elbow. He was on Rimadyl 75mg once daily and Tramadol 50mg twice daily for about a week. He has been off the Rimadyl for about five days now (my request), so now he's just on the Tramadol and a glucosamine+chondroitin supplement. We will put him on Metacam (instead of Rimadyl) if the Tramadol alone cannot manage his pain.

This morning he was limping again despite taking his Tramadol last night. I dosed him two hours ago and he is still limping pretty hard. If this continues tomorrow, I'll take him back to the vet.

Despite his various issues, Julio is acting just as he always has in his geriatric years. Inquisitive, content, and relaxed. He is 11.5 years old.

I have two concerns.

1) Has anyone else had experience with arthritis that is localized and centered in one area? He has no pain in his shoulder, back, feet, other legs, etc. Just in the one elbow. All the older, arthritic dogs that I've ever met have had a generalized arthritis and have been achy all over, not just achy in one joint. It makes me wonder if maybe it's not arthritis, but something else.

2) Please help me feel better about loading my old dog up on an opioid. I know that dogs don't react the same way as people do to pain meds, and the meds are helping him, but I am one of those people who hates taking medicine. I hate taking painkillers so much myself that I feel bad about giving them to my old dog who hasn't taken a painkiller since he was 2 years old when his patella luxated.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :blush

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest BlackandBrindle

I don't have any experience with the arthritis, but I do with the meds.

I hate giving my dogs pain meds. Sometimes it's necessary though.

Before Sadie was diagnosed with Valley Fever the vet gave me metacam to give to her as needed. It didn't help the limp because it was VF but it's CERTAINLY helped since then. I don't give it often, but in the beginning when Sadie would get fevers or just felt achey, I'd give her some and the difference was amazing.

If it helps Julio have a better quality of life, give it to him. If you keep him on them long term, just run bloodwork at regular intervals to make sure he's handling them well.

Hugs to Julio. Hope he feels better soon!

Many of my dogs have had arthritis, and Wayne also has it. Usually, arthritis doesn't stay in just one area, it eventually will move, that's always been my understanding and experience.

Tramadol is a very safe pain killer, however an anti inflammatory is usually what's needed.

Wayne does well on Rimadyl and has blood work done every 6 months. But if he didn't, I would choose one of the others.

I don't like using meds either, but sometimes it can not be avoided and the most important thing is that they stay comfortable.

Lots of good thoughts for Julio

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest KennelMom

1 - Grandpa had arthritis in the toes of one back foot, but not the other. Caused him to limp when the arthritis flaired up - usually cold, wet weather. I can't tell you how many times I took him in for an xray "just to be safe"...it was always just those old, crepitus, arthritic toes.

2 - Arthritis can be painful and in a senior dog, I think I would manage the pain with the most appropriate drugs. Dogs don't understand "arthritis"...but they definitely understand being in pain. If I have to drug my dog into a stupor just to be pain-free, it's probably time to say goodbye. IMO, there's a line between humane pain control and drugging a dog into existance.....which is usually done for the benefit of the owner, not the dog. Fortunately, so far all of our seniors have tolerated Rimadyl very well and we had great pain control with that.

Thanks so much for the replies, guys.

The reason I don't want him on Rimadyl is because I've seen the damage it can do to the liver and I'd like to stay away from it if possible. Metacam has been proven safe in clinical studies for 10+ years. It's an NSAID like Rimadyl, just less harmful in the long term.

Was an x-ray done?

An x-ray was not done on the first visit, but it will be done if we need a second visit.

If I have to drug my dog into a stupor just to be pain-free, it's probably time to say goodbye.

Yes, and that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I'm a very firm believer in letting them go a little too early than a little too late. I realize dogs care about QUALITY of life, NOT quantity. Upholding that is extremely important to me.

Julio is not in any pain other than his elbow, and he's not anywhere near stuporous. He hasn't changed at all in personality or attitude since he started taking the Tramadol. If anything, he's a little bit more vivacious, which is a good thing! I'm just trying to think ahead.

That's also why I want to have an x-ray done if we go back to the vet. If it's something as simple as arthritis, then Metacam it is. But if it's something else, like a tumor, then I need to start thinking about my alternatives. He's been through so much already.

Edited by Brindles

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

OK, by now you are probably sick of me mentioning prolotherapy with a holistic vet. My greyhound swears by it. She had a limp but it is was not arthritis. My holistic vet had arthritis in his knee and had an M.D. do prolotherapy, six sessions, and he swears by it. He is back to running. It certainly would not hurt to consult a holistic vet and ask him about the pros and cons of prolotherapy. My best to you and your baby!

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

OK, by now you are probably sick of me mentioning prolotherapy with a holistic vet. My greyhound swears by it. She had a limp but it is was not arthritis. My holistic vet had arthritis in his knee and had an M.D. do prolotherapy, six sessions, and he swears by it. He is back to running. It certainly would not hurt to consult a holistic vet and ask him about the pros and cons of prolotherapy. My best to you and your baby!

Oh, cool. I haven't been reading H&M much lately so I haven't heard it mentioned before. Could you give me a link so that I can read more about it?

Thank you for the well wishes!

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg

Oh, cool. I haven't been reading H&M much lately so I haven't heard it mentioned before. Could you give me a link so that I can read more about it?

Oh by the way when I mentioned you are probably sick of me mentioning prolotherapy I was referring to everyone on the list. There is a website www.getprolo.com but it does not give a lot of information and it refers to prolotherapy for humans. I had never heard of it before until I visited the holistic vet. Brandi stopped limping on the first treatment but we continue with the whole treatment sessions. My best!

Thanks for the info!

This is Julio earlier today in the yard.

toodles.jpg

I'm calling the vet first thing in the morning to try and get an appointment tomorrow afternoon for x-rays.

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg

Guest Greensleeves

Nelly's only arthritis was in the hip that had been broken. I don't see why he couldn't just have it in the one joint--or only have one joint *bother* him.

Our vets repeatedly told us that the pain they feel doesn't necessarily correlate exactly with the amount of damage visible on an X-ray.

It's also very important to treat arthritis with anti-inflammatories. In Nelly's case, they were FAR more effective than the opioids.

While I was at work today I went on the internet to google prolotherapy. Seems to be a lot of information if you google it. The information was only for the human side not the canine side. Again my best.

Good news! :D

Julio's x-rays came back and there's no sign of cancer! :confetti

There is a little bit of jaggedness and evidence of wear and tear, so he is indeed arthritic. There is also a tiny bone fragment that looks like it has chipped off. Both of these are causing him pain in that elbow. The vet said that it would be something to remove in a young dog, but Julio is geriatric and can't tolerate anesthesia or surgery well, so the goal now is pain management.

Thanks for the input and well wishes, guys! :)

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg

Good news! :D

Julio's x-rays came back and there's no sign of cancer! :confetti

There is a little bit of jaggedness and evidence of wear and tear, so he is indeed arthritic. There is also a tiny bone fragment that looks like it has chipped off. Both of these are causing him pain in that elbow. The vet said that it would be something to remove in a young dog, but Julio is geriatric and can't tolerate anesthesia or surgery well, so the goal now is pain management.

Thanks for the input and well wishes, guys! :)

That is wonderful news! Brandi also had a ting bone fragment that looks like it was chipped which caused her to limp. That is when I looked into the prolotherapy for her.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am glad the xrays showed no cancer! I have arthritis; it started out to be localized in my left foot, the arch area, from fractures that did not heal properly. My arthritis eventually has crept into both ankles. Anyways, I take a daily dose of Tramadol and have now for several years; not a lot, just enough to take the edge off the pain. It is an effective pain reliever and has never caused me to feel doped up. I also take neurontin (gabapentin) for nerve pain in the feet; I know some people on the board are using it for pain relief in their dogs, might look into it; it is non-narcotic.

I tried to post a reply to this last night just as the site froze on me :rolleyes: ...I was going to say you should ask your vet about Adequan injections for Julio, they have worked wonders for my friends old Lurcher.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Super news that the x-rays came back clear of Cancer

:confetti :confetti

Cassie had something similar to Julio. It was like a bone spur in her elbow. When you flexed the elbow you could feel the "grinding" It really only ever bothered her when the weather was crappy (cold or rainy) or if she got out and ran around a lot and caused a flair up.

Lets hope for some nice warm clear days for you guys and maybe Julio will start feeling better soon :)