Cephalexin Question

Guest LolaNLucy

Guest Dillymom

Lucy was bit by another dog last week. It's not serious but the vet put her on cephalexin as a precaution. I've kept the wound clean and dry and there is no sign of infection. In the last 5-6 days I've noticed her drinking a lot more than usual. I normally change their water dish every day and have to empty out part of the previous day's water. Lately she's finishing the whole bowl in less than a day. I googled it and don't see it listed as a side effect but wondered if others have experienced this as well.

Thanks

Hmm. I don't remember Merlin drinking much more than usual on cephalexin.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Dillymom

Hmm that's weird. I don't have any problem getting her to take it. Actually she'd eat the pill by itself if I let her but then the powder spills out on the floor when the capsule breaks open. So I've been sticking it into a mooshie and she eats it right up.

It's a pretty common antibiotic, and exactly that I'm taking right now for my cat wounds! Oh, sure, the bottle says "George" on it...

I've never had any problems getting George to eat any pill EXCEPT his heartworm last year--so this year we switched back to the nom nom chewies!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Dillymom

I've been giving it to her right after she eats her meals. She has had pudding poop since she started on it as well. Thankfully she'll be done with it soon.

Susan-- I took a tramadol that was left over from when Lola was sick. It's all the same.

The pudding poop implies a bit of diarrhea-like output, and that's going to, um, eliminate (bad pun) a lot of fluid, so she might be more thirsty just because of that.

(Or the antibiotics could just be leaving a nasty taste in her mouth that she's trying to get rid of...)

Last summer, Sam had a round of the C-drugs. For a UTI, he had Clavamox, then Cipro (when the Clavamox didn't fix things). Three days after he came off the Cipro, he sliced his foot open and the e-vet put him on an enormous dose of Cephalexin (my vet cranked down the dosage). Pudding poop just about describes it...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest RooCroo

We've never had and excess drinking with Cephalexin, but the fluid loss from soft poop sounds like it might be the problem. As for the soft poop, after the course of antibiotics is over, make sure you get some probiotics into her to replace the good bacteria killed off by the meds. We give a couple tablespoons per feeding of organic nonfat plain yogurt for a week after antibiotics.

:getwell

Edited by RooCroo

A lot of dogs get diarrhea or "pudding poo" on Cephalexin. And diarrhea and dehydration go hand in hand. Bingo. At leas, I think that could be it.

Great advice from RooCroo re probiotics to replace the friendly bacteria in her GI tract once she's done with the meds. Hope she feels better soon!

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest momofevie

Evie definitely drank lots more water while on Cephx. and was back to normal a couple of days after her Rx ran out. Vet wasn't worried.