Kirby's Having Surgery Next Wednesday -

Guest 4baddogs

Guest 4baddogs

A few months ago, we noticed Kirby was producing a bit of mucous in his right eye. Aside from that, it wasn't red or swollen so I didn't give it much thought.

About a month later we noticed his upper eyelid had a bump on it. I asked my sister what it could be and she rattled off a few things and said to watch it, see if it got bigger, etc. It didn’t do anything until last week. It suddenly got much bigger, really fast.

We went to the vet last night and it’s a cyst that needs to be removed immediately. The doctor said he sees these quite frequently and they’re easy to remove. Left to go they can become a tumor. They eye yuck is caused because he can’t blink properly. :(

While he’s under for the surgery, I’m having them do a dental on him as well. He’s a major bleeder so we’re really nervous about this. In addition, Kirby is THE biggest baby on the planet and will not be happy when I leave him there. He was terrified last night in the waiting area when a German Sheppard sniffed him! He climbed up on the bench I was sitting on and sat on my lap. I think the little Yorkie next to us laughed at him. LOL

I've already started worrying about this and it's 6 days away.....

Edited by 4baddogs

Lots of prayers for Kirby. I'm going to assume your vet knows he's a bleeder and is well equipt to handle that. Tanner had Von Willebrands and everytime he had surgery there was a big risk, but the vets knew how to handle it.

I'm not going to tell you not to worry because you will.

And you tell him he is NOT a big baby, not even close if I compare him to Misty and Wayne.

Be brave Kirby, be brave

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Please have them biopsy the lump. John E had these and they were malignant. That being said, I hope everything is fine with your boy.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Will be keeping you and Kirby in our prayers. Please update us when you can!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Maybe have your vet contact OSU before the surgery & talk to Dr. Cuoto about the bleeding issue?? I think there's a drug they can give that helps a lot with this... (anybody else want to chime in here? I think I've heard this...)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Maybe have your vet contact OSU before the surgery & talk to Dr. Cuoto about the bleeding issue??

Here is a link to OSU's info on bleeding in greyhounds: Why do greyhounds bleed?. I would send this to your vet & contact OSU for some reassurance. I'm sure Kirby will be fine, but I like to be overprepared. :rolleyes:

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Maybe have your vet contact OSU before the surgery & talk to Dr. Cuoto about the bleeding issue?? I think there's a drug they can give that helps a lot with this... (anybody else want to chime in here? I think I've heard this...)

I heard Dr Cuoto speak last spring and yes there is a drug you give the bleeders before surgery. I can't for the life of me remember the name of it though .... Call OSU to find out and let your vet know ahead of time so they can prepare him correctly for an uneventful surgery.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest 4baddogs
Dr. Couto emailed me about the bleeding thing. He said they use aminocaproic acid (Amicar) 500 mg PO tid for 5 days starting the day of the surgery for greys who bleed a lot. He told me to have Kirby's doctor call him tomorrow and he'll talk to him if I want or I could just forward his email to them. I just love that man! :wub: Edited by 4baddogs

Guest LolasMom

Adding my prayers for a safe surgery and speedy recovery for Kirby. :hope:hope:hope

I heard Doctor Couto talk about Amicar and they've had fantastic results with bleeders. He is the BEST!