Something's Wrong With Shelby

Guest ShelbyzMom

Guest ShelbyzMom

DH called me, he said something's not right with Shelby. She has a bone that is kind of sticking out of the side of her rib cage. It's not sticking out of her skin or bleeding, but there's something wrong and you can feel it. He scared me when he called and said "something's wrong with Shelby". I'll see what it's like when I get home in 5 minutes. He said she doesn't cry when you touch it, she has been extra whiney the past few days. We're going to keep an eye on her and hope she doesn't need to go to the emergency vet. OY, what a week I've been having.

Guest MnMDogs

Mork has the same thing - it almost feels like a toothpick coming out of his rib - maybe not that pointy, but you get the idea.

Matty also has a smaller version of the same thing. I didn't notice this on either of them for years, so I don't know why they suddenly appeared. But they don't seem to be anything to worry about :)

Guest ShelbyzMom
Mork has the same thing - it almost feels like a toothpick coming out of his rib - maybe not that pointy, but you get the idea.

Matty also has a smaller version of the same thing. I didn't notice this on either of them for years, so I don't know why they suddenly appeared. But they don't seem to be anything to worry about :)

I hope that's the case with her.

Oh, it has to be n-o-t-h-i-n-g! Enough, already!

She has a bone that is kind of sticking out of the side of her rib cage.
Holy Toledo! Please update us when you can!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Sending good thoughts it's nothing serious.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

It's probably that floating rib. Perhaps she's taken off a little weight recently and it's more noticeable? Hope it's nothing more than that!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

It's probably that floating rib. Perhaps she's taken off a little weight recently and it's more noticeable? Hope it's nothing more than that!

Ditto that -- hope so, anyways! When Joseph had his blockage incident and lost several pounds fast, his was sticking wayyyyyyyyyyyy out. Looked quite bizarre.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I hope it's nothing serious Kim! Sending lots of good thoughts! :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest TBSFlame

Ditto that -- hope so, anyways! When Joseph had his blockage incident and lost several pounds fast, his was sticking wayyyyyyyyyyyy out. Looked quite bizarre.

Star has that floating rib. It does feel strange.

Guest ShelbyzMom

Ok, it's at the very end of her rib cage, up towards her tuck. It would be like the last rib, it's very pokey (if that's even a word). You can feel it trying to poke you, it's only on one side. She's eating and drinking fine. We're trying to keep activity to a minimum in case it is something bad. How do you know what a floating rib is? This has me concerned.

Can you post a pic?

If you feel along her rib cage, the floating rib feels like the next rib in line, except it can stick out and looks funny. Don't think I've ever seen symmetrical ones -- usually they're different both sides of the dog.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

People have floating ribs. Dogs have them. The first time you encounter one, it can scare the daylights out of you. The rib is attached normally at the spine, but the last rib (or two ribs on people) often is detached at the sternum. Just Google "floating rib" and see what you get. I can feel the floating ribs on both my dogs, but the ribs only stick out some when the dogs lie funny or wiggle around into an odd position.

It'll be most uncomfortable if you mess with it. If you leave it alone (I know it's tempting to press it gently, to see if that bothers the dog), it should be fine.

I'm a dog groomer, and we get some dogs with a constantly-visible floating rib--a rib that protrudes noticeably even when the dog is on its feet. We just make a point of not putting any pressure on the rib cage in that location.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Kim, I am so sorry I am just now reading this, we will be praying that Shelby is ok!!!!! Precious Shelby, Aladdin says his squirrel hunting buddy can't be hurt, he wants to get together with her again real soon. Please give Shelby lots of kisses from all of us and we are going to be praying......... :kiss2 :kiss2 :grouphug:hope :hope :hope:candle

:bighug :bighug I am so sorry you have had too much on your platter this week, and things have got to get better. Remember when you can't see the end to the tunnel there is light coming..... We love you all and we are praying things get better real soon!!!!!! :grouphug:f_red

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter