Dental

Guest Downtownhoundz

Guest greyt2love

Rex had a dental last week while boarding. It was $116. No extractions, no meds, included nail trim at no charge. That's normally $10.00. A real bargain, it appears !!! My vet rocks !!!

Edited by greyt2love

Did you get a printed estimate from your vet regarding the dental? Not all vets perform the same procedures for dentals. Meaning, some vets intubate, some vets don't. Some vets use isoflurane , propofol and some use something else (the name is slipping my mind) Different anesthesias have different costs. What kind of blood work is being done? Are there x-rays?

Yardman had a $220 dental done (before we knew better) he had 10 teeth removed. The vet that did that dental, did not intubate and did not remove all of the roots from his gums. he ended up with a very painful dry socket.

I think overall, your best bet so that your grey is safe, is intubation and tech monitoring during the procedure. BP cuffs, EKG and pulse ox is nice, but if no one is watching it, it's not going to make a difference. A live tech watching and monitoring your pup is better than any equiptment IMHO. So, having a tech in addition to the vet doing the procedure will also raise costs, because man hours costs money.

Just remember, ask for an estimate, ask how the procedure is done, and ask for a tour of the surgery suite. Your vet should be willing to do that to keep you comfortable and secure that your pup is in good hands.

Good luck to you.

oh, Yardman has since had other dentals done (the $600 - $1000 ones) in which they did x-rays and did remove a couple of teeth. The x-rays showed that Yardman has many roots left in his mouth where there are no teeth. Poor guy. Our vet that did the second and subsequent dentals has removed more teeth (he has 4 left) They always intubate, monitor bp, etc. It's a 1 vet 1- 2 tech procedure. They also use I think sevoflurane or isoflurane/propofol. (I can't remember) Some of what they use is reversible (IIRC). I think it's domitor?

Edited by DofSweetPotatos

Did you get a printed estimate from your vet regarding the dental? Not all vets perform the same procedures for dentals. Meaning, some vets intubate, some vets don't. Some vets use isoflurane , propofol and some use something else (the name is slipping my mind) Different anesthesias have different costs. What kind of blood work is being done? Are there x-rays?

I think overall, your best bet so that your grey is safe, is intubation and tech monitoring during the procedure. BP cuffs, EKG and pulse ox is nice, but if no one is watching it, it's not going to make a difference. A live tech watching and monitoring your pup is better than any equiptment IMHO. So, having a tech in addition to the vet doing the procedure will also raise costs, because man hours costs money.

Just remember, ask for an estimate, ask how the procedure is done, and ask for a tour of the surgery suite. Your vet should be willing to do that to keep you comfortable and secure that your pup is in good hands.

I couldn't agree more, I also pay for the IV line (recommended with seniors) because Patrick tends to dehydrate a bit not matter what we do prior to the procedure.

Susan, what's the reason for doing x-rays? I haven't heard about that. Does your vet recommend them for every dog, or only ones with certain dental issues/history?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

2/08: ---about $172 for Ruby, with extraction (no charge). That price INCLUDED the pre-op bloodwork.

5/08: --a bit under $200 for Rascal, and she had one extraction (no charge for that). Again, includes bloodwork.

--$120 for Buddy. He had the bloodwork previously, so that's not included in this price. Our base price for a dental is $120.

Of course these prices don't account for any medication (for pain, etc.), just the dental with or without bloodwork.

Thats quite a deal..... To far to drive for me though(not really) but Tender Touch is 30 seconds from me and have always provided my greys with excellent care.

Doc has a dental on Monday - I was quoted $90.00 if he doesn't need any extractions & on top of it my vets office is running a special for the month of March, and I have a coupon to get an additional 10% off ($9.00) :nod .... so if they don't pull any teeth we are talking only $81.00. for the dental. :D We are also getting all his shots updated, his yearly heartworm test, fecal .... etc done the same appointment.

(and I'm a big believer in saving money - so have Rainy scheduled for all her shots etc the same day - to save an office call) I'll take both dogs in, get their shots, etc and then leave Doc with the vet for his dental and then come back later in the day to pick him up.

Wow --- your vets are expensive! :jaw

There is no way I'd spend several hundreds of dollars just to get a dogs teeth cleaned ---- I feel sorry for the people here who are getting robbed without a gun!

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

I have a high risk anesthesia girl, so she goes to the dentist recommended by the cardiologist.

Her last dental with several extractions.....................$3200.

She's going in for a cleaning and possible extraction tomorrow. I'm really nervous because she's going to the local vets for this. I just don't have $3000. I haven't finished paying off the last dental yet.

But she had problems that put her on antibiotics 2 weeks ago. We have to have a dental.

My youngest (Bwat) hasn't had a dental yet, she's 5 next month. Her teeth are gorgeous. But she never raced. Never made it into the kennels. So her exposure to the soft stuff fed at the tracks was limited to what was fed at the farm.

I brush several times a week. So the other two haven't had dentals in a few years. The 11 yr old hardly has any teeth left after her $3000 dental a few years back. And the old lady has only one tooth that has a little problem with it. She' 13.5. I'm just going to try to keep up with it by brushing.

Guest greytful4
I have a high risk anesthesia girl, so she goes to the dentist recommended by the cardiologist.

Her last dental with several extractions.....................$3200.

She's going in for a cleaning and possible extraction tomorrow. I'm really nervous because she's going to the local vets for this. I just don't have $3000. I haven't finished paying off the last dental yet.

But she had problems that put her on antibiotics 2 weeks ago. We have to have a dental.

My youngest (Bwat) hasn't had a dental yet, she's 5 next month. Her teeth are gorgeous. But she never raced. Never made it into the kennels. So her exposure to the soft stuff fed at the tracks was limited to what was fed at the farm.

I brush several times a week. So the other two haven't had dentals in a few years. The 11 yr old hardly has any teeth left after her $3000 dental a few years back. And the old lady has only one tooth that has a little problem with it. She' 13.5. I'm just going to try to keep up with it by brushing.

Wowza!!! :eek I guess $600.00 isn't so bad after all! I just wonder why there is such a difference across the states.

Guest sidewaysfallin
:o Wow. We paid $180 including blood work, anesthesia, extractions and antibiotics at one of the vets that used to work with grays at the track here.

Guest Greensleeves
How often do the houndies need to get dental?

It depends on the dog. My pack of littermates tends to break the same tooth (or get an abscess): out of nine brothers and sisters, we've had five abscesses and two fractures of the same two teeth (fourth pre-molars; the ones with the really big, hard-to-get-to roots that sit just under the nasal sinus). That's actually only six dogs (one had abscesses twice). We've basically had their dentals done as this has happened to them. Tessie's dental last week was her first ever, at age almost 8. I'd like to think she'll never need another.

OTOH, their uncle Whistler had three dentals in the seven years he lived with us. He never needed any extractions, but he had problems with gingivitis and needed to have his teeth cleaned under the gumline.

We've also had dentals done when the dogs were under for other procedures (like having lumps removed, or ear surgery, etc), to avoid anaesthetizing twice. We try to combine procedures whenever possible.

We brush every day, using an electric toothbrush (our vet asked us how we found that many different colored heads for it; I gently explained that they share, since their attention to oral hygiene stops at sharing waterbowls and licking each others' butts. :lol). DH and I have seen amazing results at dental cleanings since *we* switched to electrics; I'm hoping that it'll also help us avoid dentals down the road for the pack, as well.

Guest goodtimekid

We recently had Kid's teeth cleaned and it was a deal I can now see. He had the cleaning, had 3 suspicious bumps removed and the Oravet coating(12 weeks worth) on his teeth with no extractions for $290.00. If he had any teeth pulled it would have been $50.00 each tooth. I guess I love my vet even more now...

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I know you were asking how much a dental is, but I have another suggestion (please excuse me if you have already considered this). Try a few raw femur bones and a few knuckles. My two puppers get to chew their raw bones at least 2 times a week and their teeth look pretty good. Much cheaper and safer than a dental. Just a thought.

Chad

Guest greytful4
I know you were asking how much a dental is, but I have another suggestion (please excuse me if you have already considered this). Try a few raw femur bones and a few knuckles. My two puppers get to chew their raw bones at least 2 times a week and their teeth look pretty good. Much cheaper and safer than a dental. Just a thought.

Chad

Thanks for the suggestion...my girl ususally gets the round beef bones with marrow still in them...she LOVES those! She's always had really white, beautiful teeth until recently..she needs a dental.

In January, Yogi had a dental--the cleaning procedure cost $232 with anesthesia, plus 1 extraction cost $150 for a total cost of $382.00.

HOWEVER--at the same time, he had a laceration repair ($139.00) on his foot, bandage ($25.50), microchip ($25.00), shots and tests ($102), prescription for pain (8.50), for a whooping total of $682.00.

It definitely saves to combine office visits and procedures whenever it is safe. We had brought him in the previous day for the vet to look at his torn webbing. She patched it up and suggested we return the following day to have it stitched during his scheduled dental while he was sedated.

Guest meakah

Koda just had her teeth cleaned in February. It cost me $650 (including the meds, pre-op exam, and 3 extractions) and it was a bit more than normal due to her being +7 years old...now considered geriatric. That is in Canadian dollar...~$525 US.

Guest meakah

Chad

This does help but my girl has notoriously horrid teeth. I give her chicken necks/backs virtually daily throughout the spring/summer/fall (I refuse to give them in the house during the winter) and it did push her an extra year past her last dental. But...ultimately...she still needed one. She had one done the first 2 weeks we got her (paid for by the adoption group) and then another 2 years later....and then this one last month was 3 years after the last one.