Spayed Female?

Guest Bethroze

Guest Bethroze

We adopted a 7 year old girl from an elderly man who had owned her for about a year and a half. He was told by the previous owner that she was spayed. I cannot see a scar, but I only have one other female to compare to. She is dripping occasional drops of blood from her vagina. Are there any other signs to look for to see if she is actually intack and possibly going into heat?

I am hoping to get her into the vet as soon as I can, but we had snow showers today in Middle Georgia!

Her "taco" will be swollen. I would definately get her to the Vet promtply.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

We adopted a 7 year old girl from an elderly man who had owned her for about a year and a half. He was told by the previous owner that she was spayed. I cannot see a scar, but I only have one other female to compare to. She is dripping occasional drops of blood from her vagina. Are there any other signs to look for to see if she is actually intack and possibly going into heat?

I am hoping to get her into the vet as soon as I can, but we had snow showers today in Middle Georgia!

She might have a UTI. Urine and uterine blood come out the same place. Go for the urine test before you do an ultrasound or anything of that nature. I'm hoping for a UTI!

Marcia in very snowy NW SC. Six inches of snow currently in the driveway in about six hours!

Guest greytloves

I adopted a grey once (from a group much less) and it turned out she was not spayed. I had adopted her with the info she had been and they lied. She was also not heartworm negative, again they lied. Might I digress and not make the crappieness of that group become the topic, but it is possible she is not spayed and it is hard to tell. For sure, get her to a vet.

Guest boondog

I have heard of females that were spayed, but some "parts" got left behind (official medical terminology :P) . This caused the females to appear to go into heat. I'm sure someone will chime in with more info on this. I would definitely rule out a UTI first, like MZH said.

Guest greyvettech

If she is in heat, her vulva will be swollen...sometimes you can feel the sub q sutures underneath the skin of the abdomen area...

Guest LadyChester

We also had one that had a relatively small piece of tissue that the vet missed during the spay. She went into heat, so it is definitely possible it is something like that.

Would she run a fever with a uti?

depends on how bad the UTI is. If she is running a fever with a UTI, I;d get her into the vet much sooner than later. She could be in a lot of pain and an untreated UTI could bring on a whole slew of avoidable problems.

Please update when you can.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest mirthlesstroll

I have a Bernese Mtn. Dog whose only sign of a UTI is dribbling bloody urine, so another vote for a UTI check here. Dogs tend to be very stoic, so even if she feels lousy she may not show it.

Guest Bethroze

She is fixed!!! The doctor wanted a urine specimen, but she had just tinkled. She is staying the night and we will find out tomorrow if it is a UTI. He said she also had a heart murmur. How concerned should I be?

Depends on the grade and location of the heart murmur. Look here for some information.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest Bethroze

I remember him saying it was a "3" heart murmur on one side. Her urine was full of blood, but the urinalysis showed no UTI. They sent it off for more test. She is on an antibiotic twice a day and a heart medication once a day. Please keep her in your prayers because we might have found the perfect home for her, and I want her to be in good health for this couple. :hope

They put her on heart meds--yikes. Most greyhounds are misdiagnosed with heart disease when in fact they are perfectly fine. Did your vet do chest radiographs and an echocardiogram? How did the EKG look? I'm not saying she doesn't have heart disease but, I do think you should have further diagnostics to determine that she in fact does need heart medication.

Holy moly, heart meds without a look-see? Yikes! I vote for the xray for starters and hold off on the heart med. Is the vet grey-savvy?

Marcia

Agreed re: heart meds. Our grey-savvy vet thought Marcus had a grade 3 murmur and sent us to the cardiologist and he called it a grade 2 and recommended we recheck in a year (never did because he died a few months later, unrelated). The vet thinks Symbra has a grade 3 murmur - and all we're doing is listening to her heart more often to make sure it doesn't get worse.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest Bethroze

The sample came back with no cancer cells! :D It was full of bacteria, so she is staying on her antibiotic. The bleeding hasn't stopped yet, but it has only been a couple of days. We hear more about the testing that was sent out next week.

Ditto on the heart meds.

My Joe has a murmur (I can't remember specifics). When he had to undergo anesthesia (to fix a major boo-boo), the vet in Dr. Couto's group at OSU said that a large number of greyhounds have heart murmurs and it is nothing to worry about. They don't know why so many greyhounds present with murmurs, but it appears to be benign in just about all of them.

Joe continues to give blood at OSU. I would think if they were worried about this, he would not be giving blood.

Jane

Guest trevdog

Well that's good news! Hopefully the murmur is not as serious as it sounds either. My boy Jam had one, but the vet said it wasn't an issue.