Pest Control For The Yard

Guest MandyDAD

Guest MandyDAD

Hello all; new guy here and this Saturday the proud new PAPA to a 1.5yr old gery named Mandy. This our first time with a grey and my wife and I are in the process of "Mandy proofing" our home.

My wife bought the book "Retired Racers for Dummies" and we have both read it cover to cover. My question is about pest conrol in our yard. We have an monthly service through COOK's Pest control. I'm not sure what they have been useing in the past, but I'm fairly certain that what ever it was didn't affect our last dog and she spent most of her time outside in the backyard when we were not home.

Our concern is that from our research we understand that greys are more sensitive than over breeds. Any help or suggestions you can give would be a great helpand comfort for us.

Thanks in advance.

Contact your yard service and see what they're doing now. Many of the franchise lawn services around here have begun catering to people who want pet/environment friendly options. Greyhounds can be more sensitive to fertilizers and chemicals due to their low body fat and how they metabolize substances. At least for the short term, you might want to consider keeping Mandy inside on the days your yard service is there.

Congratulations and welcome! We want a picture too!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

It also helps to know your location and what you're trying to get rid of.

We get ants out here, and it's simple enough to whip up boric acid and sugar water, put it on a cotton ball and put that into a baby food jar. Punch a hole in the lid, and drop it near an ant mound. It takes a couple of days, but it's very effective and perfectly safe. If that doesn't work, a bit of commercial ant bait containing fipronil (the same ingredient in Frontline, which is generally considered safe for direct application to the skin of greyhounds) put on an ant mound with two bricks put on top (not to cover the opening of the mound- one brick next to the opening, the other at an angle on top to leave it open to the air) will do them in even more swiftly.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

My yard service was using "pet-sensitive" materials on my yard and my greyhound was still affected.

My suggestion is to keep your greyhound inside as much as possible on the day of the treatment and the following days ntil you have a good drenching rain. When they do go outside, make sure that you wash their feet because sometimes greyhounds will lick them and as a result, ingest the chemical.

This was one reason that I terminated my yard service and I now fertilize myself. I do 1/3 to 1/2 the yard one week and then the next week do the other half. I try and keep my dog on the section of the yard that does not have the fertilizer. I usually also make sure that I do it right before the rain.