"paw"psicles

Guest MooMoozMama

Guest MooMoozMama

Due to excessive licking of her paws (I mean EXCESSIVE), my grey has developed cooties in her nailbeds and toes. She's being treated w/ antibiotics, but we MUST get her to stop licking her sensitive paws (doc's orders). We've tried a large e-collar, but it doesn't seem to work. She can still reach those toes with her needle nose.

Any advice on brands of e-collars that will work, or ways to cover her paws that may be comfortablef or her? We tried outdoor booties but she hates them. Any ideas would be HUGELY appreciated!

Has she always had this problem? What does she eat -- food, treats, chewies, supplements? Could be an environmental or food allergy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MooMoozMama
Has she always had this problem? What does she eat -- food, treats, chewies, supplements? Could be an environmental or food allergy.

She eats kibble, and very minimal treats (all wheat-free). No other edibles, really.. and no people food. I am pretty sure it isn't environmental because we've had it recur living in 3 different states. The doc said it is a cycle that starts with her licking her paws & something her saliva leaves behind turns to yeast, which turns to bacteria. Then, this makes her feel the need to lick even more! The doc says we just need to break her licking habit, but notice that she'll start back up. We try to watch it, but she's home without DH or I for about 4 hours a day.

muzzle w/poop guard. That would be my suggestion.

Oh, that isn't a bad idea. Do you know where I can get the poop guard?

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Anyplace that sells the muzzles should be able to get you a poop guard. I would try the resuce where you got your grey. I am sure they have many to choose from.

Guest MooMoozMama
Anyplace that sells the muzzles should be able to get you a poop guard. I would try the resuce where you got your grey. I am sure they have many to choose from.

Thanks, I am going to try it!

has she always been on the same food? and has she always had this licking problem? because it sounds like a food allergy to me.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest MooMoozMama

Interesting that so many of you think it may be an allergy. The protein source is lamb. She hasn't been on the same food, but over the years we've pretty much kept it to lamb and rice.

As for what she's walking on, what things should I look for? There has been quite a bit of snow on the ground here in Utah. But, There aren't any fertilizers or pesticides in the yard.

I adopted her before she was 2, and she'll be 6 in June. She's had the licking problem for a long time, probably almost as long as I've had her (if not the whole time). It always made her toes and nails look a little pink and enflamed, but nothing that bothered her or looked bad. The yeast came about a year and a half ago (treated with pledgets), then the infection came about 3 months ago. We treated the infection & it went away, but now it is back... the doctor is saying it is because of her starting to lick again, which she has been. But - because of the cycle, it is difficult for me to personally pinpoint (thru observation) what I think may be the exact cause.

My own reason for considering allergy: Spending > $200 for tests and meds and whatnot on a dog of my own who had the same problem, itchy feet -- or, really, itchy FOOT; one foot was by far the worst, which is not how any type of allergy normally presents ..... And then finding out by sheer dumb luck* that my dog was allergic to fish and fish oil. Substances that are in almost every commercial dog food available in the U.S., and often prescribed as supplements for skin problems.

* I had switched food for an unrelated reason. Problem went away. Thought it was the nice topical steroid that had finally cleared things up. Started slightly flaky dog on fish oil supplement. Within 2 days, red and irresistibly itchy feet. What a holy crapola moment that was.

Would be worth looking at the food you're feeding now, looking at those you've fed in the past, and picking out a new one that has NONE of the same ingredients save the vitamin/mineral mix.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MooMoozMama
My own reason for considering allergy: Spending > $200 for tests and meds and whatnot on a dog of my own who had the same problem, itchy feet -- or, really, itchy FOOT; one foot was by far the worst, which is not how any type of allergy normally presents ..... And then finding out by sheer dumb luck* that my dog was allergic to fish and fish oil. Substances that are in almost every commercial dog food available in the U.S., and often prescribed as supplements for skin problems.

* I had switched food for an unrelated reason. Problem went away. Thought it was the nice topical steroid that had finally cleared things up. Started slightly flaky dog on fish oil supplement. Within 2 days, red and irresistibly itchy feet. What a holy crapola moment that was.

Would be worth looking at the food you're feeding now, looking at those you've fed in the past, and picking out a new one that has NONE of the same ingredients save the vitamin/mineral mix.

Wow, I NEVER would have thought to check the food as the culprit. Thanks for sharing your story. Just out of curiousity, which food did you choose without fish products? I'm going to scour through the labels of the foods we've been using. Thanks so much!

The food I had been feeding when he started itchy feet: Purina ONE Sensitive Systems (salmon-based).

Switched to: The old, pre-recall Natural Balance Venison and Rice. Don't know if the current version of this food has fish or not. 'Course, for your pup that might not matter as pup could be allergic to anything in the food ... or nothing. But it's usually a fairly easy thing to try when you've got the itchies.

One food I've fed since that time, that has a bit different formulation than many on the market, is Pinnacle Duck and Potato. Not always easy to find, though. Natural Balance, Wellness, and Nature's Recipe all have some limited-ingredient foods that might work for a food trial for your dog, depending on what you've fed in the past.

Guest MooMoozMama
The food I had been feeding when he started itchy feet: Purina ONE Sensitive Systems (salmon-based).

Switched to: The old, pre-recall Natural Balance Venison and Rice. Don't know if the current version of this food has fish or not. 'Course, for your pup that might not matter as pup could be allergic to anything in the food ... or nothing. But it's usually a fairly easy thing to try when you've got the itchies.

One food I've fed since that time, that has a bit different formulation than many on the market, is Pinnacle Duck and Potato. Not always easy to find, though. Natural Balance, Wellness, and Nature's Recipe all have some limited-ingredient foods that might work for a food trial for your dog, depending on what you've fed in the past.

I used to feed Nature's Recipie easy to digest lamb and rice. Between my three greys, we've tried a few different brands in an attempt to alleviate gas in all three. Unfortunately, once one is helped, another one gets the stinkies - BIG TIME! Looks like I have some research to do. I was feeding Blue Buffalo for some time, but it just became way too expensive now that we have a human baby (hehe)... Right now we're on Kirkland lamb and rice, but I'm not very happy with it.

Regarding the stool guards--I ordered ours from the Greyhounds Only website, along with an extra muzzle. It cost little and came fast. In the meantime, you can always duct tape a muzzle, inside and out. For Martin, his most active licking time is at night and we muzzled him then when his broken toe was healing.

Also, you might try baby socks.

Edited by Beautybabe

Guest taylorsmom

Yup, I would also bet that allergies are the culprit. Probably food, as others have suggested. But also, in terms of environmental, there are things that can "cross state lines", so to speak. My Lab is highly allergic (based on skin testing) to both dust mites and yeast--things that are everywhere!! Thus, her allergies are extremely, and I mean extremely, hard to control. But with the more specific foot licking you are describing, I would bet food allergies are the issue for your dog. Muzzle with poop guard sounds like a great idea!

Guest RICHandJUDE

We have a friend who has a Dalmatian. The Dalmatian was continuously licking her paws until

they would bleed. The vet finally came to the conclusion that the problem was caused by anziety. The anziety seems to come and go.

I don't know what they did about it because my friend is the type that doesn't want to face the fact that her doggy isn't always perfect.

Just a thought.

Guest MooMoozMama

I like the duct tape idea! The stool guard arrived, and is doing the trick! Though she hates it, it will have to do while we investigate her food. Thanks everyone for your help!