Alternative Treatments For Cancer

This is a question I've been wanting to post for some time, but it took a new computer to make that possible.

As you may have seen in my old Mango on the Mend thread, I was finally able to take her to see an oncologist this week, only to find out that she wasn't a good candidate for chemo, since her kidneys nearly shut down post amputation.

I want to try going the alternative/holistic route, and have read many of your threads here about diets and Artemisinin and other suuplements. My goal would be (trying to be realistic) to support overall health to give Mango's body as long of a chance as is reasonable to fight off cancer cells.

Would you see the guidance of an alternative medicine or holistic vet, or would you do it yourself based on the volumes of information available on the 'Net?

For now, she is the picture of health, happy and just loving life. The stitches from closing up the last of her incision were removed yesterday, so no more poking and prodding for the moment!

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Fortunately, I have a holitisc vet. Knowing me, I'd go a combination of experience and her guidance.

Sending prayers.

did her kidneys nearly shut down because of NSAIDs? How are they now? Did you email OSU and ask about this?

(Oh, this is so lovely to be able to do quotes again, and open new topics... :colgate )

Diane, no NSAIDs at that point. Best my vet is able to explain, the necrosis along the incision caused a build-up of fluid, which caused her to go into severe dehydration and that all just overloaded her kidneys. At first, my reaction to the oncologist's verdict was "but that was just a temporary thing, brought on by what was going on with the incision". However, the blood test we did last week just before going to the oncologist showed high normal kidney values, which Mango had also had prior to the surgery, and that was part of the oncologist's decision. Once she explained, it made sense to me. I have not consulted with OSU since seeing the oncologist - honestly didn't think of it, since the kidney caution made sense.

Those kidney values are part of the reason I'm inclined to go through a vet for any further treatment - unfortunately, my vet doesn't believe in the holistic approach. As much as I like him and have been satisfied with his treatment of Mango until now, he doesn't believe in chemo, either, although he willingly answered all my questions about it.

I'm going to talk to a friend of mine here who uses an alternative medicine vet for acupuncture for her dogs. My friend feels very strongly that this vet would be able to help Mango, too. I'm just - selfishly - looking for any and all input from everyone here because I so respect the wealth of knowledge you all have. I'm the kind of person who likes to have at least a comprehension of what I'm going into, so that I have an idea of what to ask as I go forward.

Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

If your friend has faith in the alternative medicine vet, I would definitely try a consult and see what you think. I know several people who have used holistic vets and done acupuncture and even chiropractic on their osteo dogs who had amputations, with and without chemo. They did say they had good results. If she isn't a candidate for chemo, it seems realistic to me to try other options. Have you started the artemisinin? I'm the kind of person who reads everything and decides according to what I feel is right for me and my dog, but I probably wouldn't advise that kind of treatment! But keep reading and questioning. I believe the more knowledge we have, the better decisions we can make.

I've been thinking about Mango and you. Glad you are back on GT.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Have you started the artemisinin? I'm the kind of person who reads everything and decides according to what I feel is right for me and my dog, but I probably wouldn't advise that kind of treatment! But keep reading and questioning. I believe the more knowledge we have, the better decisions we can make.

I'm that kind of person, too. The knowledge I've gained just from here has helped so much with both my dogs because I don't tend to panic - at least too much. I have a concept of what I'm dealing with, and can make informed choices quickly when needed. The delay with treating Mango was because of the incision complications, and was my choice not to force my vet to deal with things he was unfamiliar with. I wanted Mango to heal from that surgery, first and foremost, so I chose to get out of his way and let him do what he was trained to do.

If I may ask, QueenWinniesMom, what dosage of Artemisinin did you use for Winnie? I've read some articles about a larger dosage at set times - weekly, if I remember right - and then a daily 'maintenance' dosage. I was wondering whether that was now the common way to use Artemisinin.

Greyhounds Unlimited

Guest GreytMuse

Thank you for the Mango update, Kate. I'll keep you both in my thoughts for a successful treatment option -- Mango is just such a sweetheart!

By the way, Kate, Dr. Messonnier (the Plano Holistic Vet) who we talked about before is also the author of The Natural Guide to Preventing and Treating Cancer in Dogs. Is he the vet you're going to use? Even if he isn't, the book might be worth a read to see what protocol he suggests. They usually have copies for sale in his office. :grouphug

Have a read of this http://coldwetnose.blogspot.com/2009/01/jo...yond-grave.html

The lady who's blog it is, is the editor of Dogs Today magazine here in the UK.

I don't know anything about this man or the treatment personally, but I did print off a copy of the article and took it into my vets for them to read.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Winslowsmom

I don't like to give "advice", but I did a lot of homework when Winslow got osteo. He had chemo, but as we all know, the return of the cancer is the problem. I devised a diet for him based on all the info I could gather. I'm no scientist or doctor, but this diet seemed to make sense to me. 2 years later, we are still using the same diet and Winslow is still healthy.

If you are interested, please email me and I'll give you the whole thing. (It's really long)

I think artemisinin is very important.

Gather all the info you can and use what makes the most sense to you for Mango.

Best of luck.

Glynis and Winslow

:paw:paw

:paw