Red Yeast

Not sure if this really belongs in H&M, but not sure where else it belongs either!

We all know those older dogs, especially the dentally challenged ones, who get the red-brown staining around their mouths. Has anyone been successful in getting rid of this completely?

Jack is looking really messy around the face and lips these days. Now, to be fair, DH hasn't been that diligent about washing his face while I've been unable to do it, and so it was neglected for 6-7 weeks. And also to be fair, Jack hates having his teeth brushed, and these days, with strict instructions from the vet not to stress him for fear of bringing on one of his lengthy laryngeal spasms (which he feels might precipitate a heart attack) I'm reluctant to push that one too hard. It's still difficult for me, too, because I'm still limited with shoulder and arm movements.

Here's what I do. I clean his teeth as best I can, as often as I can (which isn't very often these days :(), we put Aquadent in his water, and I wash his face once a day (again, not to stress him too much).

I won't use hydrogen peroxide. It stresses him because he hates the taste and I'm not sure I like risking it getting in his eyes, the way he flinches and tosses his head.

We do try to buy foods with no addition colouring, and I home-cook add-ins, but I think the problem is red yeast, not so much staining from food.

His teeth are gunky, but there's not really much in the way of actual tartar. I spoke with the vet about them this week and asked him to clean them if he had to put him under for the x-rays, but he is so concerned about his lung function and the strain it's putting on his heart that he wouldn't even sedate him for that, yet alone do a GA. He says his teeth are not a concern, they're not too bad. I wipe them with gauze soaked in Aquadent when I can.

So. Any ideas? Or does he have to keep his cute Homer Simpson smile?

HomerSimpsonSmile-750.jpg

I have one more thing to try - the acupuncture vet suggested using Hibiscrub, which is a surgical scrub containing chlorhexidine. It's different from wipes or ordinary chlorhexidine solutions because it's very soapy. I have some on order.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I just use alcohol-free baby wipes or a damp cloth on Zema's face. Seems to be most effective if I catch her @ 5-10 minutes after she's eaten, when she's done licking her chops.

For teeth, for what it's worth ... if they aren't too grungy, my vet-and-tech duo will do Zema's while she's awake. They do get under the gumline. It takes two people and some time, so it isn't significantly cheaper than putting her under and doing it that way. But freaky spooky scaredy Zema, amazingly enough, will hold still for it and doesn't overstress. Not so Joseph -- he squirms too much.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest fruitypebbles

I've used baking soda toothpaste (human) and peroxide. Make a slurry with the paste and peroxide, dab a people toothbrush in it, and gently scrub around his mouth. Rinse well with a moist sponge and repeat. Go against the "grain" of the fur too. just be sure to rinse and repeat as needed and rinse again.

eta: Scritches don't remove the staining, but could you give that handsome gentleman a scritch for me? :wub:

Edited by fruitypebbles

Sugar had that staining the last couple of years of her life. I really think it's an old dog thing. I just used warm water on a wash cloth and rubbed gently until she started to get restless. Honestly, I never got it all off, but I didn't worry too much about it. I also used the baby wipes sometimes, but she seemed to object less to the plain warm wash cloth.

For teeth, for what it's worth ... if they aren't too grungy, my vet-and-tech duo will do Zema's while she's awake. They do get under the gumline. It takes two people and some time, so it isn't significantly cheaper than putting her under and doing it that way. But freaky spooky scaredy Zema, amazingly enough, will hold still for it and doesn't overstress. Not so Joseph -- he squirms too much.

I wish they would, but they won't. I do what I can myself - I have a descaler - but he tolerates very little. I have to do a bit of this, bit of that. *Sigh*

I've used baking soda toothpaste (human) and peroxide. Make a slurry with the paste and peroxide, dab a people toothbrush in it, and gently scrub around his mouth. Rinse well with a moist sponge and repeat. Go against the "grain" of the fur too. just be sure to rinse and repeat as needed and rinse again.

eta: Scritches don't remove the staining, but could you give that handsome gentleman a scritch for me? :wub:

I doubt I'd get near him with peroxide in anything, and as I said, I'm nervous about him getting the stuff in his eye when he throws his head around .. but I will certainly pass along the scritches! They might not fix anything, but they will please him. :)

Sugar had that staining the last couple of years of her life. I really think it's an old dog thing. I just used warm water on a wash cloth and rubbed gently until she started to get restless. Honestly, I never got it all off, but I didn't worry too much about it. I also used the baby wipes sometimes, but she seemed to object less to the plain warm wash cloth.

I'm beginning to think I'll have to put up with it, too. It just looks so bad, doesn't it? He doesn't care, of course he doesn't! :lol

I have the Hibiscrub on order, so I'll let you all know how we do with that.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

• 2 years later...
Guest greytsdad

Wet areas on the face are a breeding ground for bacteria and yeast. Bacterial infections commonly occur in the tear ducts. “Ptirsporum”, red yeast bacteria, is at the root of most yeast infections. Tear stains also often occur at the same time as a gum infection or ear infection. Staining can also occur on a dog's paws from licking and around his mouth from infected saliva. Apple cider vinegar (in its natural form from a health food store, not the pasteurised version from the Supermarket) is a natural antibiotic, antiseptic, and deodorant; It helps digestion and to remove tooth tartar; prevents tooth decay and hair loss (even mange), it also prevents and heals gum disease and skin problems; and will discourage fleas. Putting a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar per quart of water in your dog's water bowl or on food can clear up most active yeast infections and prevent future infections. Apple cider vinegar tablets can be used if your dog refuses to drink the treated water or eat the food.