Cairo Is Still A Mystery

Guest makenna25

Guest makenna25

Well, yesterday we took Cairo to get an ultrasound (see post Cairo is sick for the back story) yesterday and they found.... NOTHING. The vet didn't see any masses, his organs looked normal, so what is ailing him and making him so anemic is still a mystery. The vet took some samples of his spleen and liver to get tested as he try to discover the reason for the anemia. I mentioned the one tick disease he hadn't been tested for and he said we are getting to the point where we have to check far out things like that. He isn't thinking it is tick, but more testing may follow. So, we will wait to hear from him this Friday or Monday. The vet (the 3rd one we've seen) seems to think we have time to figure this out, there is still urgency to figure it out, but he isn't about to drop dead. I asked him about the possibility of hemorrhage and he said that he saw nothing in the ultrasound so that is no longer a risk, thank you Lord!! THAT has been so stressful! We haven't been able to work full days, having to trade off so someone could always be there, setting alarms at night so I could make sure he was sill ok... it was getting to be very draining. So, we don't know what's going on, BUT yesterday I had very little hope going into the appointment, and now I have some hope back. Hope it may be treatable. :unsure

So, our job is to get Cairo to EAT! We went grocery shopping last night, and I sear most of it was for him, as variety seems to be his preference. Well we tried a few things last night, and he actually ate quite a bit. Not all of it completely wholesome, but calories none the less. And this morning he seemed, well, a little normal. I won't get my hopes up too much, but he really bounded up the stairs, which I haven't seen in a while. He was still oh so picky about breakfast, but he did eat. I said to my husband, maybe he'll snap out of it! I won't be so naive to think that nothing is wrong, but maybe not as bad as I thought.

Anyway, keep him in your prayers as we still don't know what the problem is. I will stop now as this post is so long!

Thanks for giving me this outlet and I will keep you posted!

Good boy, Cairo! Nom nom nom! Keep it up.

(Have you tried green tripe? Petco carries the Solid Gold variety. Very nutritious and highly appealing to dogs.)

How frustrating not to have an answer, but fingers crossed that the vets finding nothing obvious means it's not a severe problem.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Oh, no! Still no answers??? Ugh! Can you spell f-r-u-s-t-r-a-t-i-n-g?

Eat, sweetheart, eat! Nom nom nom, nosh, nosh, nosh, chomp, chomp, chomp, slurp, slurp, slurp, lap, lap, lap. You can do it! Still praying for Cairo! Sending hugs to you, too!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest makenna25

A friend of mine makes a special food for her dog and she gave me some and Cairo LOVED it, so I am going to make it for him tomorrow. Right now he loves cottage cheese, turkey bologna and marshmallows! :rolleyes: Not too many marshmallows, don't worry!

I was happy this afternoon when I went home to check on him that he greeted me, bounded up the stairs and got pretty excited when he thought my putting on my coat meant walk (although dr orders, no walks :wacko: ).

So, who knows, maybe my strange feeling that he will snap out of it, or that God decided to heal my baby, will be true! We'll see, at least I feel hope again in my heart! :heart

Thanks again everyone!

That sounds like Cairo may be feeling better. It takes a while to regain an appetite. You may see him beginning to eat a little more each day and eventually eat a more normal meal. Please keep us posted on how he is doing.

Edited to add: Do you know what is in the special food? It might be a good hint to keep in mind if I need something special to feed in the future!

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest makenna25

Cairo is doing well today too. He ate some this morning and a little this afternoon. He isn't back to normal, but he isn't such a zombie either! Still haven't heard back about the tests on his spleen and liver, we're hoping for the best.

I am actually attempting to make the special food right now.

6 cups barley flakes

1tsp salt

1 Tbs parsley

1Tbs honey

Put the 6 cups barley in bowl, add other ingrediants then fill with water (or goats milk), stir together and let sit until water is absorbed (about an hour).

When ready to feed add white rice (optional) and your meat of choice.

My friend made it with lamb, but said she changes the kind of meat often to keep it interesting. She got this recipe form an older woman who took care of a lot of sick dogs and she feeds it to all her dogs.

We'll see how it goes. :P

I will let you all know when I hear anything form the vet!

Good news! Keep up the good work sweetie. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Thankyou for sharing that recipe - it's good to have nutrition in our "arsenal", not just drugs all the time. Sending healing thoughts and prayers for Cairo! I know prayer works, because last Feb. my Jacki was diagnosed with hemangio - tumor on her heart, and 6 months later, there was no sign of it. She's a happy, healthy 9 y.o. today. Is it a miracle or was the dianosis a mistake? I prefer to think is was a miracle. :heart

Sue

GT-Sig-2-09.jpg

Visit My Website Visit My Etsy Store Visit My eBay Store Part of all proceeds benefit Greyhound adoption

Thank you for posting the recipe. I've made a copy of it and will definitely use it if the need arises. Sending more good thoughts and wishes to Cairo that he feels better and keeps eating.

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Hang in there, Makenna and Andrew! He's coming around, I just know it!!!

Lisa
...sharing the journey with my best friend, Kevin, and our four greyhounds:
Littermates Sweetie* & Spicy (Possible Betsy, Possible Edna),

Moody* (Jr's Moody Man), and Dragon (Kiowa Dragonfire)

*Gone to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge