Have You Ever Seen Black Heads On A Greyhound?

Guest Whippet

Guest Whippet

Yeah...

Last week, I discovered a huge spot, about the size of the circle I make when I put my middle finger and my thumb together, full of black heads!

I started squeezing them and lots of stuff come out of them... Really dark stuff, black, brown, and sometimes, a bit paler but like darker sebum...

Has anyone ever seen this? What should I do? Leave them like this? Sqeeze them? Put Proactive solution on them???

(just a joke)...

Anyway... I'm very curious...

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Gross huh? My foster Buzz has them. You can see my post about it here. I have noticed that it happens to dogs that sphinx. Spencer doesn't and doesn't have blackheads.

Guest Whippet
Gross huh? My foster Buzz has them. You can see my post about it here. I have noticed that it happens to dogs that sphinx. Spencer doesn't and doesn't have blackheads.

Yup! That's it... The spot on Billy is a lot smaller though...

THANKS for the info!

Oh, how I miss squeezing Tori's blackheads! She had tons of them and I had so much fun :lol I always used a warm washcloth first, then a quick swipe with alcohol afterwards and she never minded. Such a feeling of accomplishment to get rid of so many :rolleyes::P

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Peyton came to us with them, and I did the same as people above: used a warm wash cloth to loosen them, squeezed them out, and then kept the area clean. He doesn't get them much any more. :)

Yup Lily has them (she is a sphinxer) and I do what everyone else said--warm compress and squeeze. Good stress reliever, honestly!

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

Guest TBSFlame

I have seem them a lot. Foster Jack had the cleanest belly I have ever seen. Not a blackhead to find anywhere. lol. Warm compress and squeeze, it takes some time but you can get them out. Our first greys had them and I took him to the vet b/c I thought he had something terrible. The vet (not grey savy) was on the floor looking up at his belly and looked at me so funny and said....."I think it's blackheads".

Our 9 years YOUNG grey Little Bit has these and I've been working on hers since we adopted her in May. Warm compresses, squeezing and Stridex. If you decide to use Stridex, be sure to pick up the sensitive skin version. So far I've only seen a little success but have been told that sometimes they never go away. Has anyone actually had their vets prescribe something to help??

Edited by JoyceJ

Guest chestersmom

Yes, our grey has them also. He tends to get more in the summertime. We just pull them out with a pair of tweezers. Our boy doesn't seem to feel a thing. Weird, huh?

Payton has them, they were really bad when he came home in 05. Now the ones that are left are stubborn and he does KNOT like to let me get them out, so I just leave them because they aren't bothering him.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Guest crazy4greys
Has anyone actually had their vets prescribe something to help??

Your vet can give you something for them. I forget what it is called, but use use it like soap with water and a washcloth.

What I don't know is what "sphinx" means.

Sphinx position

FosterDogs496.jpg

Guest greytexplorer
I have seem them a lot. Foster Jack had the cleanest belly I have ever seen. Not a blackhead to find anywhere. lol. Warm compress and squeeze, it takes some time but you can get them out. Our first greys had them and I took him to the vet b/c I thought he had something terrible. The vet (not grey savy) was on the floor looking up at his belly and looked at me so funny and said....."I think it's blackheads".

:rofl:rofl

Guest sorenkkg

Not only does Haka have some blackheads (not many, so I don't bother with them) but he gets these sort of pimples... but NOT where he sphinxes, just all over, in random places... top of the head, on his side, on the back leg... sort of like a hard whitehead (not soft and pop-able, ick) so they sort of grow out and then we pull it out-- usually doesn't bother him, but might scab.

what do you think that is? I think the vet called it something, basically pimples sort of-- nothing to be concerned about though (but it is gross-- the biggest one he had, on the top of his head-- looked like another head was growing!)

Guest Whippet
Has anyone actually had their vets prescribe something to help??

Your vet can give you something for them. I forget what it is called, but use use it like soap with water and a washcloth.

What I don't know is what "sphinx" means.

Sphinx position

FosterDogs496.jpg

Yup, Billy sphinxes a lot too... That explains it!

Guest myneedlenose

Yup, Mayhem'd chest just above the sternum is full of them. I work on them a little at a time because he hates me picking at them. they always come back though. He is the king of the sphynxers!

Guest GreyLoverGirl

Yes, Nibs is a sphynxer too and has had blackheads ever since I got him. When I first got him I would gently squeeze a few out... and would take care to be very gentle. Well, he hates it! He will snap if I try to mess with them, so I have stopped. It's not painful for them, just a bit unsightly!

Not only does Haka have some blackheads (not many, so I don't bother with them) but he gets these sort of pimples... but NOT where he sphinxes, just all over, in random places... top of the head, on his side, on the back leg... sort of like a hard whitehead (not soft and pop-able, ick) so they sort of grow out and then we pull it out-- usually doesn't bother him, but might scab.

what do you think that is? I think the vet called it something, basically pimples sort of-- nothing to be concerned about though (but it is gross-- the biggest one he had, on the top of his head-- looked like another head was growing!)

They are sebacious cysts.....or whiteheads as you described, my girl Sadi gets lots of these, they are harmless and usually go away on their own...but you can help them on their way just like with the blackheads if you like ;)

My girl earned herself the nickname "lumpy lou" because she gets them so frequently :rolleyes:

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest 3_GREYHOUNDS

Diva has a patch too, blue actually, from lying on a blue floor when she was still in Spain.

Over the years the patch has grown smaller but now that I know that you all do your best to get rid of them, I'm gonna try to do so also..... It looks terrible on my sweet girl :angryfire

Any of our "nekkid" tummy kids gets them too. They're normal. :)

Atlas gets these all the time all over his body. When we first adopted him, he had one right on his head and it stuck out. We call him Lumpy all the time. :lol

He currently has two; one on his shoulder and one on the top of his head.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.