Is Your Vet Reluctant To Work With You?

From what I've been told by him and some friends (I don't believe it though), is that when we order from these different on-line places, we never know where the meds are coming from, and if indeed they are the exact medication. Hey, how do we know where the vet is getting his meds from?

My vet has told me that also BUT she will still give me a script. It really is my choice who/where I get the meds from, not the vets. My vet said that the only place that she trusts for on line meds is Drs Foster and Smith and they seem to be the cheapest so that is where I order from. I do get Casey's arthritis meds through the $4 program at Walmart and my vet was more than happy to do the script for that for me also.

Drs. Foster & Smith is who I am getting the Deramaxx from. They are one of the more reputable, and cheaper than 800-pet-meds for this particular med. When I spoke to a rep on Sunday, she said they get hassles all the time with regards to vets not wanting to deal with them. It's more the norm than not.

I want to thank one and all for your kind words, thoughts and prayers for our girlie Lulu. I did not want to post yet another cancer diagnosis here on GT with so very many other sad posts, but I could only hold it in for so long before losing it. It's nice to know that we are not alone in this journey.

This baby doll is one of a kind as she is a bouncy, barky, demanding sort of gal who has re-written some chapters in the book of Greyhounds. Most specifically the chapters that say that greyhounds are mellow, laid back, and quiet couch potatoes. She is a "never looks back" kind of gal who only knows one speed in life..."full speed ahead!". I call her my ADD dog because even if she's smack in the middle of a meet and greet event with all hands on her being, she's still not happy for the attention she's getting, and is always wanting to walk the mall on her own to hunt up more people to lavish pettings on her.

Lulu was the first dog among many in my life that made me believe there really is meaning to the term "Heart Dog". I often heard people say that certain greys in their lives were just meant to be, and that they knew it just by looking into their eyes. Well....Lulu unexpectadely bowled me over at a social event a few years back, she had been a bounce because she was "too much" to handle. All it took was a glance from this girlie and I just knew she was going to steal a huge part of my heart!

I just don't know how I am going to survive this chapter in our lives!

Sounds like Lulu knew exactly what she was doing when she bowled you over! I think she found you because you were the one who would be right there beside her when she was making her mark on the world. My heart is breaking for you and Lulu. You certainly don't need the grief of the vet/med drama, so I hope you can put it all aside and make more outlandish memories with your special girlie. She sure is a stunner!

Sending tons of prayers and hugs for you both.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Hey, how do we know where the vet is getting his meds from?

Licensed Veterinarians are monitored and licensed with their state pharmacy board. Most medicines are ordered through Veterinary Distributors. That being said, some of the major manufacturers Novartis, Merial, & Bayer pulled everything back "in house" a couple of years ago. This is to track the illegal selling of products to online pharmacies.

I do not want to debate this subject, but I worry that some day because of these pharmacies Vets will no longer carry meds in house. This will mean for whatever drug a pet needs, they will have to wait for a script to arrive. Me, if my pet is sick I want the medicine to start immediately.

That said, the pharmacy income helps your Vet open his doors each day, and be there for his patients with a staff and the diagnostic equipment needed to run a hospital. He is not a warehouse with people taking phone orders.

I agree that veterinarians need to dispense meds so they are immediately available, and that meds help pay for the cost of running the business, but in my experience there are GREEDY vets who charge a mark up of 500% or more per pill, and generous vets who try to work with their patients to make care affordable. I am lucky to have the latter kind of vet. They will do online scrip faxing, call my human pharmacy, price match U Penn, etc. I am lucky because the cost of Monty's care is already out of our reach.

greytmontyI totally agree with you regarding the mark-up. My prior vet (his own practice, so when he wasn't there, a lot of the time I was 'outta luck')charged almost double for the same meds that my new vet charges. He was only 5 minutes driving time from my house, and I had to use him when I had my collie, as he would get soooooo car sick. Once I lost him to cancer, I switched to a larger vet/hospital with 6 vets. They are so much more reasonable.

Edited by MAXNAV

The vet I used in TC when i had the ferrets years ago was awsome with scripts. If it was something that humans took as well, he flat out told you AND which pharmacy he recommended calling it in to for a better price. (I checked the first few times and he was always correct at who had the better price). If it was something only for animals, he would run through the list of things you could do cost wise. (a few times, just a few sample packs were enough and no charge) This was when 800 pet meds and the like were just starting to get really well known, and he was leery of them with anything requiring refrigeration. (Made sense) And the few times I did decide for online scripts, he always cautioned to check the packages thuroughly. Check exp dates, and who actually manufactured them. If I had any concern, he would gladly check them over when they arrived for me. He also cut deals with owners that brought multiple pets in at the same time for their check ups and vacc's.

When I first went to him with my first ferret, he knew a little about them, but wasn't what you would call "savvy". That all changed. he's the type that if he doesnt know, he WILL find out. Anya's first visit, he asked ME a lot of questions. For her next round of boosters, as i was walking past his office door, on his desk were multiple ferret manuals. :) By time I moved away years later, he was the most ferret savvy vet in TC :lol

All in all a great vet.

If I ever move back to the TC area, I know exactly who I am taking Sammi to.

Any reason you couldn't FedEx the script rather than using snail mail?

My vet is willing to work with me however I want to do any prescriptions. Love her :)

Sending good thoughts for your pup.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

When I get meds online, the site I use has a place to enter a name and phone number for the vet's office. THEY actually call my vet, rather than the other way around, to confirm it. Obviously, you can't do this for meds you want to get from a local pharmacy, but it sounds like you're getting them online anyway. Would your vet not even do that? I'm surprised if they wouldn't do it from a reputable company like Fosters & Smith. It's a quick phone call, tech opens folder, confirms Rx, end call. Takes all of a few seconds, especially if you've given them a heads up that the call will come in.

In any event, sounds like you'll at least know for the future and if you're vet is greyt otherwise, I'd stick with them.

Sorry to hear about the dx, I hope you're able to keep her pain free with that combo.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest gr8greys

My 15yr old Border Collie had to be put on Deramaxx 100mg for her arthritis. I buy Synovi through 1800petmeds because it is way cheaper than getting it through my vet - $20 price difference.

When I wanted to get the Deramaxx through the online pharmacy my vet refused to comply. They told me I couldn't be assured that the online pharmacy would carry the freshest meds. I didn't want to argue with them but it's costing me close to $20 more every couple of months buying it through my vet.