Celeste's Corn Surgery

winnie

Celeste had the corn in her left back paw removed this morning using laser surgery. It was supposed to be a pretty easy procedure. Unfortunately, the corn was much, much bigger than expected. Our vet said it didn't look like much on the surface, but once they got in there it was big. Poor baby! She had to have 4 stitches which will be removed in 2 weeks. Her paw is padded and wrapped. Thankfully, she doesn't seem interested in messing with it. She's on meds and seems to be resting comfortably.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Where did you go for the surgery?

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Where did you go for the surgery?

Caring Hands Animal Hospital in Centreville, VA. It wasn't cheap - almost $450 - but we love our vet. We use Dr. Amy Dillon who has lots of experience with greyhounds.

Celeste seems to be doing OK. She doesn't want to put any pressure on the foot where the corn was removed. It's making for some very short walks. On a positive note, she is eating and sleeping well.

Edited by winnie

I just saw this,. Poor baby, I hope she is feeling better soon.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• 1 month later...

Well... it's been two months and Celeste STILL doesn't want to put her paw down on hard surfaces. I brought her back to the vet's office two weeks ago. She took X-Rays, etc. and couldn't find anything wrong. The corn is gone as far as we can tell too. Celeste doesn't react if you press on her pad - that's a good sign considering what a drama queen she is. Our vet put her on a muscle relaxant thinking that not using her leg regularly for such a long time caused the muscles in her leg to tense up. Two weeks later and Celeste isn't showing a ton of improvement. It's very frustrating...

Is she currently wearing anything on the foot?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MnMDogs

I was just thinking about you and Celeste. I'm sorry that she doesn't seem to be improving. For what it's worth, even after Mork had his first 2 corns surgically removed 4 years ago, he still could not walk well without the booties. I have no idea why, but through the surgery (they were gone for 6 months I think) and multiple hullings, he has always needed the TheraPaws on walks.

I know how frustrating this is, and really hope for the best. Mork's are all back with a vengeance since the hulling in December, and the back one has yet to show itself (so we can't even hull it now) and seems to be causing him the most pain.

Hope she's feeling better soon.

Well... it's been two months and Celeste STILL doesn't want to put her paw down on hard surfaces. I brought her back to the vet's office two weeks ago. She took X-Rays, etc. and couldn't find anything wrong. The corn is gone as far as we can tell too. Celeste doesn't react if you press on her pad - that's a good sign considering what a drama queen she is. Our vet put her on a muscle relaxant thinking that not using her leg regularly for such a long time caused the muscles in her leg to tense up. Two weeks later and Celeste isn't showing a ton of improvement. It's very frustrating...

I am so sorry to hear of this Laura, I sure hope Celeste eventually will use it on hard surfaces. Poor thing and poor you for having to deal

with seeing your girl not wanting to use her foot. How frustrating indeed.

Corns are just BAAAD! The crazy frustrating thing is how unpredictable they are. We hoped we were out of the woods with Emmet. The corn on his left front foot is nearly gone after almost a year of hulling, dremmeling, Therapaws, and kerasolve. For the past couple of months he has been walking perfectly normal on all surfaces. Now he has one developing on one of his rear feet and you can see the beginning of a limp and a hesitancy to put that foot down.

I'm sorry you and your girl are going through this.

Edited by Beautybabe

Is she currently wearing anything on the foot?

She was wearing a Thera-paw up until the vet appointment two weeks ago. She hated it. Our vet told us to stop using it since her foot was all healed. She actually uses her foot more now than she did with the Thera-paw - just still not using it 100%.

I am so sorry to hear of this Laura, I sure hope Celeste eventually will use it on hard surfaces. Poor thing and poor you for having to deal

with seeing your girl not wanting to use her foot. How frustrating indeed.

It's hit-or-miss. She'll use her foot sometimes on walks and then will start to limp. Celeste is a bit of a drama queen about everything, so it's hard to tell if she's in pain or not. Our vet tends to think that Celeste just "forgot" how to walk on all 4's. She told us we could let Celeste back in the yard (we had been doing just walks). She seems to have no problem running around like a lunatic on all 4's there.