Soft Poo, Trouble Going, And A Raw Tail

Guest andrealynch

Guest andrealynch

:( My poor Bacardi has not been feeling well for a coupple of days. It all started when I noticed that he had some very soft poo--it seems that he has been having a hard time going, and not much comes out, even thought he is eating his normal amount of food twice a day.

The sad part (beyond his not feeling well), is that I have to wipe his bottom, and even so, he licks the underside of his tail, which I noticed looks a bit raw.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? Do you think he might have a parasite? I have him on heartworm, but is there another wormer he should be on?

I read on here that rice can help to firm him up, so I will try that in the morning. Any help or suggestions you can give to help me solve the mystery would be great! Thanks so much! :unsure

It sounds as if he's in considerable discomfort - please take him to see the vet asap!

ETA: take a stool sample with you, as they will probably want that to analyse.

Edited by DocsDoctor

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest andrealynch

Hi Everyone:

So I took him to the vet--and he's been eating leaves!!! Must be quickly when he goes outside, because its been really cold here and I only put him out for a few minutes each day!!

Anyhow, she also thinks the new holistic food I have him on might not be settling right with him--and since he seems to have some abdominal pain, she put him on an internal antibiotic. Poor guy couldn't eat anything tonight--docs orders!

He will start with a bland diet tomorrow and do this for the next few days! Hopefully 2 week of meds and some new food will have him back to his silly self in no time ;) Keep your fingers crossed! Thanks for all the postings!

What kind of leaves has he been eating?

This may be very important. Some types of leaves have considerable levels of (mild) toxins that can cause problems. Unless he's under direct observation, having him wear his muzzle (probably with a stool cup or similar) while outside would be highly recommended.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest andrealynch
What kind of leaves has he been eating?

This may be very important. Some types of leaves have considerable levels of (mild) toxins that can cause problems. Unless he's under direct observation, having him wear his muzzle (probably with a stool cup or similar) while outside would be highly recommended.

Not sure--I would guess just Oak--since that is the only kind we have in the back yard! He is on meds and seems to be doing MUCH better--today, he had normal poops :) YEA!! And he's back to his goofy self again!!! Thanks for all the advice!!

Yeah. Oaks can be trouble. From the Merck Veterinary Manual:

"Most animals are susceptible to Quercus poisoning, although cattle and sheep are affected most often. Most species of oak ( Quercus spp ) found in Europe and North America are considered toxic. Clinical signs occur several days after consumption of large quantities of young oak leaves in the spring or green acorns in the fall. High mortality is often observed. Malformed calves and abortions have been reported in dams consuming acorns during the second trimester of pregnancy. The toxic principle, which appears to be gallotannins, polyhydroxyphenolic compounds, or their metabolites, causes GI and renal dysfunction. Signs include anorexia, depression, emaciation, dehydration, rumen stasis, tenesmus, smell of ammonia on the breath, serous ocular or nasal discharge, polydipsia, polyuria, hematuria, icterus, and constipation followed by mucoid to hemorrhagic diarrhea. Renal insufficiency may be evidenced by increased BUN and creatinine, proteinuria, hyperphosphatemia, hypocalcemia, and urine with a low specific gravity. Pale swollen kidneys, perirenal edema, subcutaneous edema, ascites, and hydrothorax are common necropsy findings. Edema and subserosal petechial or ecchymotic hemorrhage of intestinal mucosa and ulceration of the esophagus and rumen may be seen. Diagnosis is based on clinical findings, necropsy, history, and histopathologic examination of the kidney (ie, nephrosis). Other common diseases that resemble oak poisoning include pigweed ( Amaranthus spp ) poisoning and aminoglycoside antibiotic poisoning. "

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)