Losing A Dog

Guest mbarson

Guest mbarson

My wife (who is a Borzoi person) sent me the from the Borzoi web sight and I thought you might like to see it as well. I found it strange that it was written by someone who dabbled a lot with eerie things.

I just finished reading a fiction novel and near the end of the book was a passage that jumped out at me. We have all suffered the pain that goes along with the loss of our dogs and some have more recently suffered this loss. I thought I would share this with all of you in hopes that it may bring some form of peace and understanding, (the word "her" can be read as "him"):

"Dogs' lives are short, too short, but you know that going in. You know the pain is coming, you're going to lose a dog, and there's going to be great anguish, so you live fully in the moment with her, never fail to share her joy or delight in her innocence, because you can't support the illusion that a dog can be your lifelong companion. There's such beauty in the hard honesty of that, in accepting and giving love while always aware it comes with an unbearable price. Maybe loving dogs is a way we do penance for all the other illusions we allow ourselves and for the mistakes we make because of those illusions."

Dean Koontz, The Darkest Evening of The Year (Chapter 59, p.408)

so true.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

I remember when DK lost his dog. He was heartbroken. As are we all.

A close friend of mine, who I see daily (he's my doorman) lost his dog the same day that I had to let my first girl go. When I brought Morgaine home a month later he asked how I could do it knowing the pain that would come when I lost her. I told him that I couldn't let my pain keep me from giving another girl a home. I didn't think I would lose Morgaine to status in less than three years. At that point almost everyone I knew asked if I was really sure about bringing another girl home because I was nearly destroyed. The same held true. We will all face wrenching pain when we lose our greys, but that can't keep us from loving them while we can. We honor each one who has gone before by loving the next one. This doesn't mean I don't live with the fear of losing Aquitaine, it just means that I love her and let her know that every single day. Sometimes she'd probably like me to go back to my own couch and leave her alone!

My friend couldn't bring himself to get another dog. His cousin did it for him. Of course, he is in love with his Daisy. Then my walker convinced him to rescue one that she knew about. So now he has two. And they all lived happily for the moment.

Guest mbarson

When I lost my first Greyt, Foxy, I was given a small booklet by my daughter's mother-in-law that brought tears to my eyes. It is such a beautiful little story. I belong to the St. John Ambulance Therapy Dog group with, in our area, about 25 others with many different breeds which visit Hospitals, Seniors homes and schools. When a dog in our group crosses the Ranibow Bridge I send them a copy of the book which seems to help the mourning over a pet. I keep a few copies on my shelf to use as necessary. The book is called For 'Every Dog An Angel' written by Christine Davis. To get a copy, which I sugges you do, www.lightheartedpress.com or you can call 503 786 3085. This area code comes from Portland Oregon. Try it, You'll like it!

When I lost my first Greyt, Foxy, I was given a small booklet by my daughter's mother-in-law that brought tears to my eyes. It is such a beautiful little story. I belong to the St. John Ambulance Therapy Dog group with, in our area, about 25 others with many different breeds which visit Hospitals, Seniors homes and schools. When a dog in our group crosses the Ranibow Bridge I send them a copy of the book which seems to help the mourning over a pet. I keep a few copies on my shelf to use as necessary. The book is called For 'Every Dog An Angel' written by Christine Davis. To get a copy, which I sugges you do, www.lightheartedpress.com or you can call 503 786 3085. This area code comes from Portland Oregon. Try it, You'll like it!

I LOVE that book - I also keep copies to send out, as well. (I got them from Amazon )

Just wish I was not down to 3 books left from my last dozen purchased :(

My wife (who is a Borzoi person) sent me the from the Borzoi web sight and I thought you might like to see it as well. I found it strange that it was written by someone who dabbled a lot with eerie things.

I just finished reading a fiction novel and near the end of the book was a passage that jumped out at me. We have all suffered the pain that goes along with the loss of our dogs and some have more recently suffered this loss. I thought I would share this with all of you in hopes that it may bring some form of peace and understanding, (the word "her" can be read as "him"):

"Dogs' lives are short, too short, but you know that going in. You know the pain is coming, you're going to lose a dog, and there's going to be great anguish, so you live fully in the moment with her, never fail to share her joy or delight in her innocence, because you can't support the illusion that a dog can be your lifelong companion. There's such beauty in the hard honesty of that, in accepting and giving love while always aware it comes with an unbearable price. Maybe loving dogs is a way we do penance for all the other illusions we allow ourselves and for the mistakes we make because of those illusions."

Dean Koontz, The Darkest Evening of The Year (Chapter 59, p.408)

Interesting - as I was reading the DK book I was finding a few good quotes that I wanted to post here on GT. The one you posted struck a chord in me as well. Thanks for posting it.

"And they all lived happily for the moment." Carronstar.

I LOVE that, Carronstar! Very well put! I'm tempted to ask if I can put it in my signature.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).