My Girl Cricket.....

Guest jettcricket

Guest jettcricket

My baby girl Cricket was diagnosed with osteo back in July of last year. The treatment plan that we decided on was chemo/radiation - no amputation. This month is 8 months since her original diagnosis. That in itself is a miracle to us.

For the most part she's doing ok....she eats well and still desires to go for walks even on three legs. We just got back from a walk and I noticed her bad leg (cancer is in her pelvic area) that her foot is swollen. I'm assuming it's fluid. I rubbed it and it doesn't seem painful to her. Does anyone know what could be going on? Is it because she's not using the leg?

I do plan on calling her oncologist but just wanted to know if anyone had any idea as to what could be causing it.

I know at any given time things could change and I do worry as I know eventually the cancer will take her. Hoping for much more time with my girl.

Thanks in advance....

Linda

UPDATE

Cricket's oncologist just called....2 reasons why she's retaining fluid in her bad leg. Either from not using it or the cancer has spread to her lymph nodes and they are being blocked. There was a lot of medical jarb inbetween but basically that's what I got out of his message. :(

His recommendation was an ultra sound and possibly some more radiation.

Folks...my well is dry. Between losing Jett last May and the cost of his treatments and now with Cricket's medical expenses we're broke. He also told me that there would be no guarantee that the radiation will help her. I know in my heart that we've done everything that we can for her.

Like Houndtime says all the time....."I do hate cancer...it's the thief that robs us of those that we love".

I know that we've been on borrowed time and we are extremely grateful that God has kept her here for 8 months with the quality that she has had......much longer than I ever would have thought.

I'm just praying that it's not because the cancer has spread and that maybe it's caused by her not using the leg.

I just can't bear the thought of my baby girl leaving us....I love her so much. My heart hurts. :brokenheart

Please pray for my girl.

I thank you all and I will keep you all updated on my girl.

Now go hug your hounds.....

Just took these a few weeks ago....my sweetie.

DaveCricket012.jpg

DaveCricket007.jpg

This is a picture of her with her good luck collar from RobinW that she got from 2hounddesign.

DaveCricket014.jpg

Latest Update 1/14/09

...Woke up this morning and Cricket's foot is swollen again. It's starting to travel up her leg. I'm scared. I'm trying so hard to be positive, but I know that this is not a good sign.

God...what do I do? Please give me the strength Lord to help my baby and make a wise decision. Why does cancer even have to exist? Why can't we all just die of old age and peacefully in our sleep? Why must there be pain and heartache?

My heart is so heavy. I can't bear the thought of soon having to make a decision, yet I knew it was coming. Are we ever prepared? :(

This morning I put a moist, hot compress on the area.....I'll try again when I go home.

A friend of mine her greyhound had the same thing happen and she was gone within 2 weeks.

Please keep my girl child in your thoughts and prayers.

1/19/09

Hi All....just wanted to let you know that Cricket's edema is gone! The prednisone worked I'm happy to report. :) Spoke with my vet and he did tell to back her off a bit...she gets 10mgs. twice a day. He told me give her the pred, but not on a daily basis. Maybe one day on...and 2 days off. He told me less is better, but right now we just need to make her quality of life as best as we can.

So my baby girl continues to amaze us...even took her for a walk yesterday which she loved.

Thank you all for your concern....it means to the world to us knowing that others care.

Linda and Ms. Cricket

Edited by jettcricket

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greytmonty

No advice or knowledge here Linda, just lots of hugs and good thoughts from me and Monty (and Sam and Mark) here in Philly!

Keep us posted as to what your vet says.

No advice. Just mega prayers for Crickett and hugs to you. Please update.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Yeah, it could be because she's not using the leg. Did you notice it just after the walk but not before? If she lies down and is quiet for a couple hours you might see it go down again. Fingers crossed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jettcricket
Yeah, it could be because she's not using the leg. Did you notice it just after the walk but not before? If she lies down and is quiet for a couple hours you might see it go down again. Fingers crossed.

Honestly, I just noticed it when we got back from their walk about an hour ago. It wasn't like that yesterday. I put a call into her oncologist....waiting to see what he says.

Guest jettcricket

...you were right Batmom. The swelling has gone down. I do want to know if there's anything that I can do to help that. I'll just wait and see what her oncologist says.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. :)

Glad the edema is gone. Hug Cricket for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Prayers and hugs for Cricket.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Wonder if a support bandage would help, or if that would only make it worse. Hopefully oncologist will have an idea.

Give prettiest girl a kiss for me, OK?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jettcricket
Just wanting to send extra hugs and scritches to sweet Cricket. Hope that horrible C word stays away even longer - she's doing wonderful. :wub::wub:

...amazingly she is...when she responded so well to her intial treatment of chemo/radiation back in July and was able to start bearing weight on her bad leg we were thrilled. It lasted about 2 months and then she started limping again we thought that this was the beginning of the end for her.

We didn't think that she'd make till Halloween...here we are in the New Year and she's still with us.

I thank God every day.....still waiting to hear from her Doctor as the swelling has not entirely gone down.

Continuing to send prayers, hugs and healing light to Cricket.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest jettcricket
Mornin' Linda! Any word from the doctor? Has the swelling totally gone away?

...Nope and I'm a bit pissed. :angry: I just called again to leave another message. Her foot is still somewhat swollen. I did speak with the vet tech at Cricket's regular vet and she told me that she would ask one of her vets there if they know what could be causing it and if there's anything that we could do.

Thanks for asking.....